CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Forgot to Tell You...

People think that if your husband is in Bishopric meeting, that means you know things that go on in those meetings. Not true, at least not in our home.

You might also think that they will go in to those meetings and battle it out so that you get only the callings that are easy for you. Also, not true.

And one might also assume that they would at least give you a heads up if they knew changes were coming your way. Nope, not true either.

A few weeks ago when Seth was leaving for church (he goes from 8-5...we don't go until 1) he told me I needed to be at the church at 12:30 to meet with the Bishopric. I thought he was kidding. He assured me that he was not and quickly left before I could ask anything else.

I was pretty sure I was getting a second calling. I am too new in my calling to be released and I have always had 2 callings in this ward, except for when I had my big calling. Weird, because we have a huge ward, but I have had really fun callings so I am okay with it.

So 12:30 rolled around and I found myself being extended a calling as Assistant Girls Camp Director. After several deep breaths and one "yes, of course I accept", I went in to a panic.

When I was called in to YW I was SO relieved to be an advisor and not a counselor for two reasons....one, I am terrified to drive other people's children. TERRIFIED! And counselors go on temple trips, youth conferences, stake dances, etc., so lots of driving. My number two reason was Girls Camp. Not only would that require me to drive other people's kids but it would also require me to stay overnight away from my own children which I CAN'T HANDLE!

Seth knows these things about me and he didn't throw a red flag in the meeting when this was discussed and decided? He gave me the personal and spiritual reasons why this decision was made and I trust him so I am trying to wrap my head around this thing but this is not an easy one for me.

I could not sleep the night I found out and I cried and cried. I feel terrible responding that way to a calling but this Sunday in Beehives Jessica read a quote about how President Kimball cried and cried when he was called as an apostle, so I feel better. It is okay to admit that things are hard for us and that we are scared, but there is also a time to turn it over to the Lord and trust that if He is asking us to do something, He has got our back.

Seth will be taking the week of camp off from work to be with the kids and I have already told him not to take them swimming, or to Six Flags or anywhere where they might get lost or hurt. I know he is competent enough to handle the kids but I am so used to being the one watching them that it feels weird to relinquish that duty to someone else, even for a few days.

Now that I have been to a camp meeting I am not sure I have much to offer. I had visions of planning all kinds of fun stuff but they like the girls to do most of the work. I am so used to Primary where the leaders get to plan everything and all the kids have to do is come and enjoy. Planning fun stuff is my favorite thing so I am not sure what is expected of me or what I can possibly bring to the table but I am going to try to figure it out and do my best.

One thing I was actually excited about was getting to know the girls in my ward better. Since my calling is mostly a Sunday calling I don't get to do all the fun social stuff that comes with the YW program. But I learned that we camp in levels and not by wards. I am pretty bummed about that because I had visions of my whole ward hanging out in our cabin and cracking up in to the wee hours of the morn and going home stronger and closer. Not to be. SO now I am even more scared to go away and not have some safe people around me to make it easier, but again I am trusting that He who has asked this of me has got my back.

My husband, however.... I have learned that he will throw me under the bus. Ha,ha....totally kidding! What's funny though is that the new Camp Director is the Bishop's wife who also teaches Primary along with being hello, the Bishop's wife. Really boys, you didn't think our lives were busy enough? Again...KIDDING! I completely support my Bishopric and I love Kira so I am thrilled to be working with her.

10 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

Whoa! That does sound scary! I think I'd eel the same way as you. When I was an advisor, I heard that I "should try" to go to camp. It freaked me out. I have never left my kids.

You are a great example, and I'm sure you'll be amazing!

Heather said...

One might also assume that if you husband is in the bishopric and he knows you are terrified to speak, he might also try to avoid it for you...also not true. we should be used to being uncomfortable in this church right? Anyway, I think you will be an awesome camp director. I'm jealous.

Tony and Ann said...

I guess you didn't see the plan unfolding like I ddid. Do you remember one of your first camping trips? At Bear Lake, and we gave our (teeny tiny) trailer to you, cause it had a real bed and a bathroom. Same thing when we went to the Uintas. Tony and I love to tent camp, so we loved it that you would actually go camping! Then in the Tetons--remember the rental trailer? Bigger, more beds, bigger bathroom. Then the next thing we heard was that you guys went CAMPING--in a tent!! I was really not sure that our Cali girl would ever do that--and have fun doing it. And now you guys do a Door County trip (we wanna come!) every year, and it sounds like you have a great time! So--the natural progression is to Girls' Camp. I totally saw this one coming! You'll be great, you'll learn to love those girls, and they will love you. You do realize that the next step is a TREK don't you??

Seth and Julie said...

Heather, Your talk was great but believe me, I had words w/ your husband too. I expected some perks in exchange for giving up my husband for 20 more hours a week. Just kidding! Maybe they mixed up our assignments though because I don't mind speaking in church and it would have been awesome for you to go with Madi for her first year of camp.

Ann, What's funny is that I haven't even thought about the "camping" part of it. It is the driving and being without my kids that is causing me stress.

Unknown said...

How fun! I get/have to miss out on girls camp this year and I'm a little bummed. You'll have the time of your life and it's weird when you sit down to eat...no one asks you for anything, they take care of themselves, cut their own meat and clean up (usually:). You (and Seth) will be just fine!

Julie L said...

Oh, you'll really enjoy it. Your kids have grown so much that they're really pretty good at taking care of themselves. Bet they have a terrific time. Is there a bishopric night when Seth can bring them with him to visit you?

LeShel said...

First off, I can't believe I was stuck home sick on Sunday and Heather spoke in church. What kind of crap is that!! I miss one week, one week! Seriously, garbage.
Second, YOU are going to rock girls camp. I'm so jealous. I want to be 12 and in YW's again just so I can come along with the awesome leaders.
It really is going to be so much fun. Before you know you'll be crying(happy tears) at testimony meeting. It's going to be wonderful.

Holly said...

I know it doesn't make you feel better about it, but I think you will be awesome at camp! And I'm jealous too. As long as I could bring Emma with me I would absolutely love to go to camp. I would have to bring her with me because with Eric taking time off for scout camp he couldn't take time off to stay home with her. It'll be fun though, even with the level camping.

Jen said...

Wow, a new challenge indeed. Despite your misgivings, I know you will succeed and have fun doing it. The kids being alone with their dad for the week will be a great bonding and learning experience for everyone.

Cheryl said...

I think you will do great!