CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Epic Parenting

Photobucket
Chloe sound asleep at 12:30 AM on a chair at our Bishop's house.

All those in attendance at last nights epic failure in parenting have taken a sworn oath never to speak of it again, but you know silence was never my strong point so I might as well throw myself under the bus and get it over with.

Last night while leaving TKD (at 7:45) I called Seth to see if I should pick up some dinner. Usually we eat before TKD but since it wasn't a school night the kids just had a bagel and an orange to tide them over so that Seth would be home after TKD and we could all eat together. When I called, Seth told me he had already gone and picked up food.

Two seconds later he called back with a hint of panic in his voice and asked me if we had forgotten anything we were supposed to do that night??? So I dug around in my mind but came up completely blank. Then he alerted me that he had just received a text inquiring as to why we weren't at the Bishop's house. OH. MY. GOSH! For weeks we had talked about our chocolate fondue party with the Bishopric and I completely forgot. I admit that I sometimes conveniently forget things, like the Stake Relief Society all day extravaganza in Milwaukee today. Saturday is the only day that Seth is home so I am conveniently spacing it out. But last night's forgetting was not even a little bit intentional. I forgot, for real.

We were supposed to be there at 7:00 and we were in charge of bringing bananas and cream puffs as our contribution to the fondue bar.

When we got home Seth was waiting for us in the garage. No time to go in and eat that dinner he had picked up. We ran to the grocery store for bananas and cream puffs and flew to the Bishop's house, Alex still in uniform even.

We ran in at 8:25 and immediately started making apologies while taking of our shoes and trying to get our food items to the table so that everyone could eat. Our kids ran in and started to blend with all the other kids that were there, except for Alex who had just worked out for two hours. He ran to the table and scarfed. I kept thinking it was weird that Chloe didn't go straight for the treats, but her boyfriend Zack was there as well as the Bishop's teenage daughters who she adores. I figured she would come down when she was done socializing.

So we ran in and sat down and started chatting with the adults. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. Kids were running up and down the stairs. Alex was still shoveling in chocolate covered happiness.

At about 8:45, 20 minutes after our arrival, Alex said that he heard something outside and he thought is was Chloe. Chloe loves to go outside in all kinds of weather so I wasn't surprised that she would try to sneak out. We ran out to check and found her standing next to the front door, back pressed up tightly to the wall, crying, and still in her coat and snow boots.

She had NOT snuck outside. She had NEVER come in.

She had been standing outside, in February (thank goodness we have had a warm February so it was about 30 degrees) for 20 minutes.

We brought her in and everyone burst in to laughter. We laughed about it all night. We played The Game of Things and when the question was Things that don't belong on the front lawn, Minda answered "Chloe" and everyone went in to hysterical fits of laughter. Of course, underneath the funny side of it, I felt like the worst person EVER. EVER!

We went on to have a great time last night. We stayed and played games until 1:15 this morning. Even Chloe was happy as can be as soon as she came in and stumbled upon fondue heaven. She did pee her pants sometime around midnight which was so weird, but I might have peed my pants too if I'd been through what she had. Anytime anyone asked her about it she just said, I cried.

So we went home feeling like pretty useless parents, and to add insult to injury, Alyssa said, "you know we never really ate dinner". Seth assured them that they ate plenty at the party and that they were fine, to which Alyssa responded "Seriously dad, cream puffs and strawberries?".

Epic parenting.

When we got home I asked Chloe why she hadn't tried to come in. She told me that she rang the bell but it was broken. It was indeed broken. I asked why she didn't knock or open the door and she went back to her standard answer, I cried. I told her that if that ever happens again (what are the odds) she needs to knock or open the door or scream or something.

By the time I got in bed it was 2:00. I was so tired that I almost fell asleep before I hit the pillow, but right before that moment came my head began to spin. What if she'd walked down the street? What if Alex hadn't heard her? Would she have stood there all night? Would she have knocked at some point? How long would it have taken for us to notice that she wasn't with the crowd? I finally fell asleep at 3:30 but I was jolted awake again at 8:00 (late I know, but my family slept until 10:30). I still can't believe this happened. Earlier that same day Chloe wanted to play in the snow alone. I would never let her play outside alone so I suited up and went out with her. If anything I am overprotective of my kids and yet....

I know that we all have those that could have ended badly moments, but I am not sure I will ever shake this guilt.

Unfortunately it is so easy to lose kids when you hang out in large groups. I always assume someone is watching them, and even though my daughter stood out there, seemingly alone, I do believe that someone was. For that I am deeply, deeply grateful.

P.S. In case you are wondering how Chloe is this morning, she is great! She woke up to a giant plate full of monkey bread that her mom made just for her out of sheer guilt. She is all smiles and she keeps telling me to scratch her back and now she is telling me to get off the computer and come play Monoploy with her. I think she knows she has me in her back pocket today.

P.P.S. Even though my failings were the topic of this post, I should tell you that we had a blast last night. It was so fun to hang out with the Bishopric on a social level. Sometimes I elevate the Bishopric members in my mind until they are no longer real, approachable people but everyone was so real and so funny and my kids keep asking when we can do it again.

10 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

Oh no! Poor Chloe! It really does make a difference when you are with a big group. My scariest moment was when Kaden was a couple years old, and I was finishing a transaction at The Picture People. Since I was with my sisters and all their kids, I figured he was with the group. He had actually wandered to the next store over-the pet store-where we normally all head after we are all done with everything! I was SO freaked out about the "what if's." :( One of mine was also left behind in the at when very one else ran in the house. Only for about a minute, but still totally scary! I'm so glad she was fine. :)

As for the night, that sounds like a blast! :)

Seth and Julie said...

Katie, I hate for anyone to misplace a child, even for a minute. It is awful, but it does make me feel better to know that it happens to other people, although it makes me horribly sad that sometimes it does not have ahppy ending.

Post edit: In case anyone wants an update, Chloe is now talking about the incident. We were talking about it today and trying to figure out how it happened since I walked behind and watched all 3 kids walk to the door. We looked up and Chloe had a big naughty smile on her face. She confessed that she hid by the door to be funny but then when the door was closed she rang the bell and then got sad that no one came to answer. She said then she went to get in the van but all the doors were locked so she went back on the porch. I told her I was happy she was okay and that she stayed out of the street but she told me she did go in the street for a minute to try the van doors on the drivers side. And because she is loving the attention she is getting now she has added an embellishment and is telling us that her knee is bruised because a red and purple car drove by and bumped in to her. This kid!

LeShel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Aww, poor Chloe. It sounds like she survived. Nothing like some cold air to put some hair on her chest. Right?!? Haha!

It's sounds like this new bishopric is having a little too much fun these days. I wouldn't have minded Mike being in the bishopric there if it meant partying 'til 1 in the morning. Of course, Mike would not agree. He would have been bugging me to go home since before nine. He's NOT a night owl.

Jen said...

I'm just now reading your comment, Julie, and see that Chloe did this too herself. Well, hopefully she learned her lesson not to do that again.

Tony and Ann said...

So this puts you in very good company. I subbed in primary today, and the lesson was about when Jesus was a child. Do you remember the occasion when Jesus got "lost"? And how Mary and Joseph looked (frantically, I'm sure) for THREE days? Even with their knowledge of his divinity and destiny, I am sure they felt like you did! I am so glad that it turned out like it did, and that she is OK (even though that red and purple car hit her poor knee!). You are right, though, "someone" was watching over her!!

Heather said...

Im sure her post confessional must have made you feel a little better. No worries, we know you are an awesome parent. It happens to the best of us. Thanks for the laugh though.

Val said...

What?!?! I can totally imagine how you feel, but this can definitely happen to anyone.

Poor Chloe! Her innocent little prank backfired. I'm trying to imagine how Al or Luke would have reacted to this predicament.

Julie L said...

The previous comments have pretty much covered everything, but I add my vote to the 'happens to every parent sometime' column. So scary to think of what could have happened. I still remember a time when I fell asleep (about 4 yrs old) waiting for Sunday dinner, and when I woke up everyone was just about through eating and I felt so bad that nobody thought of me. Actually, they had. And decided I was so tired, they'd let me sleep. And it really was my own fault, but sometimes things just backfire and there we are, feeling like the whole world just doesn't quite understand us, but then we know they do and life is good and we grow a little with each experience.

Can't think of a better parent in the world than you. You are every child's dream mommy. And lucky Chloe - her very own pan of monkey bread! (I'd love to see that purple and pink car.)

Cheryl said...

Sad but kinda funny right?
At least you guys had a fun night after!