Me and Chloe went to Monkey Joe's with Kayleigh and Kennon after preschool on Thursday.
Thursday night I went to a Girls Night Out at my friend Cheryl's house. The invite said 7-10 but a few of us stayed until midnight. We were having way too many laughs to wrap the night at 10. I am sure I made a fool of myself at least a dozen times but we were all acting pretty goofy so I didn't stress about it the whole way home like I usually do. It was way too much fun to have any regrets.
Friday night we were on the way to TKD and I got stuck on the ice on not one, but two roundabouts. By the time we got half way to the Recplex we were already way late for Leadership class. We still could have made it to Basic Class but I decided it was not worth the stress so I turned and headed home.
Alyssa had been begging to go to the school Valentine's Dance for weeks and I told her no because we would be at TKD. Since we were not at TKD she really wanted to go. I was not driving again but I told her we could go if Seth got home in time to drive us. He got home at 7:00 so we popped over to the school for the last hour of the dance. I thought it was chaotic nonsense, but the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. Alex immediately went searching for his love interest, Ella, and found her and the rest of his friends. Alyssa's friends did not appear to be in attendance so she danced with Chloe while they waited in line for cotton candy. I was a bit distressed to see a couple students (Elementary School, keep in mind) in tube top dresses that barely covered their butts. Not only are they a bit young, but it was 14 degrees out with wind chills at negative 8. Come on parents!
Today we started out the day with a broken garbage disposal. Just when I thought there was nothing left to break in my house. Sadly, the water heater is losing steam too and looks like it is the next thing to go. Anyway, the garbage disposal has now been successfully replaced.
But the big event today was Alex's first ever Tae Kwon Do tournament! The tournament was just between the 3 Victory locations in Wisconsin.
Seth signed him up without my consent. I wasn't sure we were ready to compete but we stepped up our practices this week and geared up to give it a try. There were 5 events, but of course you pay $10 for each one so we opted for just two events: form and creative board breaks. I actually tried to take him out of board breaks when we got there because we never practiced one, but he wanted to do it and said he would come up with something.
They split up by age and belt level (16 kids in Al's group) and the competition began.
First up was form. There are 4 segments to the form but apparently they were only supposed to do half of it. We had no idea and we had practiced the whole thing. The first girl up did half and I could see that there was no room on the mat to do the whole thing. Alex volunteered to go second and I wanted to run over and tell him to only do segment one and two but didn't think I should interrupt. He did parts one and two beautifully and then instead of stopping, he turned around and did parts 3 and 4. He should have done them going the other way but the chairs were in the way so he improvised. I could see the judges talking about what to do. I wished he had just done the first half because it looked like he was confused when he turned and tried to reverse it, but I knew he wasn't confused but just trying to find a way to complete his form. Anyway....he scored a 9.8, 9.6, and 9.6. One of the judges was Mr. S. Pettis, Mr. Pettis' youngest brother, who is also an MMA fighter and he gave the 9.8, which was the highest score he gave anyone on their form so I was happy to see that he understood what happened and scored accordingly. In the end though, Alex took the 4th place medal for his form and he is SO happy about that.
Next up was creative board breaks. Alex could not even do a somersault when he started so I thought his board break actually looked pretty good. He got 9.7 from all 3 judges but a couple of the kids did some serious acrobatics and splits and earned 9.9's from the judges so Alex did not receive a medal in board breaks. I saw a bummer look go across his face and thought oh I hope he doesn't cry, but even before I finished my thought he was over it and full of smiles again.
So we didn't smoke the competition but I thought Alex did great and believe me I am his toughest critic. That may sound mean but since I am the one who trains with him daily, I see every little detail and before you judge me, I am also, most definitely his biggest fan. As I watched some of the brand new kids perform I realized how far Alex has come in the 7 months since we jumped on this crazy TKD train.
Now we know what a tournament looks like and what to expect and we will be back, for sure.
Warming up.
After 3 kids perform they call them back up and judge them. You can see the 8 fingers up from one judge and 6 from the one next to him.
Here is his cute board break.
8 comments:
What a bummer about the ice, but I'm glad you guys went to the dance. I can't believe little girls were dressed like that. I just went to our "Mother Son Dance," and it was great. I love it because the separation of the husbands and wives and the girls and boys. When I go, the moms all hang out and dance/talk/laugh/hang out while the boys all run around dancing like crazies. It's perfect! The boys aren't worried about the girls. The Moms aren't worried about the Dads. It's so nice. We also have a Daddy Daughter dance that Mark will be able to take Brooklynne to next year. :)
Loving the TKD updates! I couldn't view the video from my phone though! I'll have to check on the computer tomorrow because I have been really wanting to see him in action. I say this everytime, but I need to hurry up and put my boys in-or at least Grayson because he really wants to. I'm still pricing around. :)
Congratulations on a job well done Alex! I love the videos.
And it feels strange to be basking in 50 degree weather while you fight the ice. We've definitely missed winter this year.
First off, Chloe looks so grown up in that first picture with her hair in the side ponytail. She is so beautiful.
And yes we ALL made fools of ourselves Thursday night and I thought it was so much fun too. I'm glad you didn't worry about anything you did because there was no reason too. You were so funny! I told Doug that I thought that was probably the most fun I've had at a girls night ever.
Congrats to Alex for that fourth place medal. He looks so cute in those videos.
Katie, Ask the different TKD schools if Grayson can try it before you commit. I know Victory allows kids to try it out first. Then you can see if the school and the instructor are a good fit for you.
Julie, We haven't really had a winter either. We are just starting to dip below 20. Until now we were still looking at mid-30's, sometimes even 40's and it has only snowed a few times and not very much at that. I LOVE it but I hope it isn't snowing in July.
Cheryl, Everyone was funny! I was cracking up. I told Seth that it is dangerous when people laugh at me. It is like feeding a Gremlin after midnight. I hope you weren't exhausted the next day but it was so nice to hang out. I am glad that after a 3 year hiatus Girls Night is back.
Look how sweet Chloe looks with her buddy on the slide. We miss Monkey Joe's. It gets brought up every now and then. Why can't cold cities build more places like that for us in the winter?!? Chloe looks so beautiful and grown up. It's just not possible.
You had a girls' night out without me?!? Now I'm really missing Kenosha.
Those "dances" and other night time school activities do always seem way too chaotic for me, too. I don't know how the schools don't get too stressed out to ever want to do that those again.
Way to go, Alex!
U r a proud mom not a prideful one at all. Way 2go Alex. I'm really considering signing up Jack but haven't bit the bullet yet. Love the double wide...much better than one on the street. Has it really been 7 years in Wiscconsin? Time flies.
U r a proud mom not a prideful one at all. Way 2go Alex. I'm really considering signing up Jack but haven't bit the bullet yet. Love the double wide...much better than one on the street. Has it really been 7 years in Wiscconsin? Time flies.
Go Alex! If I had to walk down a dark alley, I'd want Alex to go with me.
Thanks for sharing the videos!!!
Post a Comment