CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Holiday That Never Makes the Blog

As I browse around other blogs I realize that I do a pretty bad job celebrating Valentine's Day and even when I have done something for the kids, I have never posted it because I am usually in my anti-cold, anti-blogging rut every February. This year the winter has been so mild that I still can't believe it is February so my blogging rut may not hit until May.

In the meantime, let's talk about Valentine's Day, for once.

Two years ago I made my kids these...

Photobucket
I dumped out the chocolates that came in the box and made red velvet cake pops, shaped them to fit in the candy slots and tried to make them look like a box of chocolates. Yes, I could have just given them the chocolates but they won't eat assorted chocolates and they like cake pops...and you know me, I never like to do things the easy way.

Look how different Chloe looked two years ago...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Last year I actually did a 14 day countdown to Valentine's Day.
Photobucket
We opened a heart each day and did a craft or got a treat. I took very few pictures though. Just one of the countdown hearts, the mailbox we made on day one where we could leave love notes for each other, and one of some silly suckers. I can't even remember what we did on the other days.
Photobucket
And this year I just bought each kid a last minute present, which truthfully, is how we most commonly celebrate Valentine's Day at our house.

I did get Seth a good present though....the Asus Transformer Prime tablet.

And he got me a new camera!!!

Bigger presents than we usually give for Valentine's Day but annual bonus money comes in January, not December, so these are actually more like late Christmas presents.

I have NO idea what I am doing with this camera yet. So far I have only used the standard lens because in order to take a picture of my kids with the upgraded lens I have to stand in West Texas. Even with the normal lens I have to back up more than I am used to. I am used to standing right on top of them. So are they. They keep moving closer to me and I have to keep telling them to back up. The camera's instruction manual makes NO SENSE to me so I have watched a few you tube videos instead. The software manual is even worse than the camera manual. I read the whole thing and still can't figure out how to make even a minor edit to my pictures. I am pretty sure I am in over my head but I am excited to learn and hopefully this camera won't frustrate me as often or as thoroughly as the last one did.

Unfortunately I haven't had anything much to take pictures of in the last couple of days but here are a few.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Seth gave Alex this Batman jacket after his tournament and he wouldn't even take it off for church or bed.
Photobucket
Chloe's last day of ballet. We are not signing her up for another session. She loved it but it is not progressive so it would be an exact repeat of last session. We are thinking about ice skating?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The kids gifts awaiting them after school.
Photobucket
Chloe shopped with me so she picked out her mermaid Barbie, her candy and they each got glow sticks so they could do the glow in the dark baths that everyone keeps talking about.
Photobucket
Alex has wanted Batman legos forever and they have not been available until now so I got him a small lego kit. He LOVES Batman. I asked him why Batman was his favorite when Superman can fly. He said it is because Batman is rich. He has a cool hideout. He has the best car. He has lots of toys and weapons. He has a sidekick and he has a butler. Oh, when you put it that way, he is the coolest. I get it now.
Photobucket
Of course for Alyssa I had to go to Charming Charlie. I got her a scarf and then saw earrings on clearance for $4 so I grabbed them. The cashier told me clearance jewelry was buy 1 get 2 free so I got Alyssa and her BFF, Quinn matching necklaces so it looks like she got a lot but it was cheap. Yay!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now can someone please come teach me how to use this camera?

6 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe you dumped an entire box of chocolates out. Please tell me you saved them for yourself at least. Or you could have mailed them to me. That is a cute idea though with the cake pops. My one experience with cake pops was a disaster. Maybe you can give me some tips.

You know how I feel about ice skating, so I say go for it.

You got a new camera and some lenses. I need details now. What kind of camera and lenses?

Julie L said...

Yes, do tell us what kind. Our new Cannons came with lenses that are definitely NOT close up ones. Fortunately, our old lenses still fit on the new camera as well. Check out your local news want ads and see if anyone is trying to sell a smaller (shorter) lens you could by for close ups. We bought a macro lens that has been a favorite of Brent's. I tried it out with my camera the other day. Now I know why. The lens is big, and heavy. But it takes wonderful close ups of things like flowers and children.

Seems like the better the camera, the more particular the lenses get. No more general lenses for us. We'll have to learn together. I've still got so much to learn.

Brent bought me an Asus Transformer for - ummm - I don't know. It wasn't for Christmas. I guess it was just 'cause. It isn't the Prime. That wasn't out yet. But I really like it. I love that I can use all the book apps on it (Kindle, Nook, Deseret Book, etc.)

Now to conclude this long rambling (sorry) your kids are still growing like weeds. Chloe has definitely changed a lot in the last year. Looks like they had a terrific Valentine's day!

Katie and Mark said...

Chloe does look so much older! Her hair is growing so long, and she looks so pretty. Ice skating sounds fun, an hooray for a new camera!

Happy Valentine's! :)

Val said...

I can't get over those pics of Chloe in her ballerina gear! She is out of control cute! I also can't believe how much Audrey reminds me of Chlo...those pics are like a glimpse of what Audrey will look like in three years.

Your kids got hooked up for Vday...fun!

Seth and Julie said...

Jen and Julie, I finally broke down and went with a DSLR. I am not trying pretend I am a photographer but I was sick of bad pictures and when a bunch of my friends started getting the Canon Rebel I realized I was better off getting a nice camera instead of getting a new one every year. I asked for the t3 because I thought it was "cheap" for a DSLR but didn't realize that all that got you was the body of the camera. The salesman talked Seth up to the t2i with the standard 18-55 mm lens and the package came with a 75-300 mm lens but he recommended upgrading to the 55-250 mm lens and only charged half the difference in the price between the two lenses so we upgraded, although I confess that I have no idea why the 55-250 mm lens is better? I take a lot of pictures so I would like them to be better but I am so technologically challenged that trying to learn to use this thing could be impossible. I need both of you here to help some of this jargon make sense to me. Jen, I will gladly give you cake pop tutorials for photo tips. :)

Unknown said...

Mike has been ouuing and drooling over lenses, I haven't noticed that the subject needs to back up. BUT then again I haven't used ours much. Your Valentines day rocked mine that's for sure. I didn't even get the kids anything thank goodness for Grandmas!