CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Turn It Up

Day Ten- Music you listen to when you're bored, happy, sad, mad, hyped

I think this question is too big for me. How do you sum up a lifetime of musical preference in one post? I tried once before and failed. I do love music, but over the years I listen to it less. I don't own an iPod or a stereo and the only way I can listen to music in my house is on the computer, and of course I always have music on in the car, but just whatever is on the radio. With the way that music is now, I have become more of a fan of songs than artists. I have thousands of favorite songs, but not so many favorite artists anymore.

Once upon a time though, when you used to have to buy a whole album and "pledge allegiance to the band" (I think I stole that line from Jack Black's prayer in School of Rock), I had some faves. Here are a few that I can remember obsessing over at some point in time. Oh, and most music just makes me happy so I don't have a list for my different moods, although I used to clean to Bon Jovi and Miss Saigon, until my CD player broke. Country, Counting Crows and Sarah McLachlan can leave me a bit thoughtful and melancholy sometimes, but mostly music just makes me feel alive and happy.

The Smiths I love the Smiths! My roommates used to tease me because the Smiths are dismally depressing, but for some reason they make me giddy. I realize their idea of a love song includes being run over by a truck, and that their most upbeat songs have titles like Girlfriend in a Coma and Hang the DJ, but they still make my smile. Elvis Happiest music ever. It makes me want to dance and sing. In fact, when I lived in the college dorms I always got teased for singing Elvis loud enough for everyone to hear, and sometimes I would get requests from people to sing In the Ghetto in the lobby, and I would actually do it. I guess that is before the bad voice embarrassed me. P!nk Already ranted about her in a previous post. My favorite current artist. Bon Jovi From Junior High all the way through college I was obsessed. Had a life sized poster of Jon Bon Jovi in my room growing up. First concert I ever saw, too, although I was 19 by the time I finally saw them live. Matchbox 20 Their first two albums were SO good, every single song. Seth likes them too so that is what we always listen to on road trips. Miss Saigon Soundtrack I think I used to listen to this while cleaning so I would want to keep cleaning through the whole two discs (back when I had a CD player). I would get so much done and replay the whole story in my mind as I listened. Depeche Mode I admit I even like the bubble gum sounding stuff from the early years. Tracy Chapman unique voice, great lyrics Til Tuesday another one I sang too loud in the dorms. Tom Petty for a few years I listened to it everyday Counting Crows My second year of college I remember playing the August and Everything After CD multiple times a day. I still love the music but that was a tough year and I still feel a little sad when I hear it now. Sarah McLachlan This music can make me feel sad too because of that haunting voice, but it is so beautiful and I relate to a lot of what she writes. Michael Jackson I have talked about my MJ obsession before. Guns N Roses Loved them all through Junior High and High School and listened to at least one of their albums in it's entirety every day. Bob Marley More happy music, and it reminds me of weekend drives to my dad's for the weekend. We always requested Bob Marley and Queen. Boy George and Culture Club I remember liking this in second grade and getting teased when I was still cranking it up in college, but I never outgrew it. Jewel I have never liked her again, but her first album did not leave my car's tape deck (yes tape) for at least 6 months. No Doubt First album, in particular...still one of my favorite albums ever. I wish I could share some of it since it is the stuff that never hit the air, but playlist only has 20 second clips of the songs, so just take my word and go buy the album. Sophie B Hawkins I think me and my friend Shawna might have been her only fans? Nine Inch Nails I cranked this for a good two years straight in college and my ultra Mormon neighbors kept asking me to please not listen to that kind of music and I hate to say it, but my answer to their request was to turn it up. Sorry girls. Red Hot Chili Peppers I remember drawing their little star symbol thing with their name around it on every desk I ever sat at in high school. I had a huge crush on Anthony Kiedis.

I also like lots of songs that Seth likes, or that remind me of Seth. Maybe I will create that soundtrack for you someday.

Most of my music these days comes from the car radio. Right now the kids favorite is Animal by Neon Trees and my favorites are Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri and Perfect by P!nk, of course. Another song I feel like she wrote for me with words like, change the voices in your head, make them like you instead. Careful if you look for that one on playlist though, because only one is the radio version and the others are all the f-bomb version. I also listen to country, but for my mother who HATES it and reminds me constantly that I was raised better than that, I will keep it off of today's playlist.

I originally had hundreds of songs on today's playlist, but I have scaled way back and had to cut lots of favorite songs, but at least it will give you a taste of what I like. Some bands are not fairly represented because playlist doesn't have their stuff, or because their language is not appropriate for the general public. Sorry Chili Peppers and NIN.

15 comments:

Julie L said...

I received an education again from your post. Half those names I haven't heard of, the other I've only heard of but do not know. Oh, Miss Saigon and Elvis - yeah. We are a different generation when it comes to music. But I love that about the generations. I think if anything defines a generation, it has to be music. For me it was the Beatles and all the similar bands that came to the forefront during my high school "hippie" years. I am amazed at how hearing a song will take me back immediately to that time and place in my life. Maybe that's why Brent enjoys listening to the 'oldie's' so much.

Katie and Mark said...

Love your music! I think maybe I will crank up my favorite music and clean (a little) today! :)

Jen said...

You already know how I feel about country, but your mom is right...you should know better!! It's funny, many of the bands/artists you list are what got me through my growing up years, too. The Smiths are still a fave of mine (too much will get on my nerves though). One of my saved XM stations plays them constantly when a certain DJ is one. She even read a letter from an angry listener on-air begging her to stop playing the Smiths so dang much...haha! Depeche Mode was always played at least once a day from 8th grade until college. Mike makes fun me of anytime I have them on by mimicking the monotone vocals the lead singer used throughout most of the Violator album. I don't care what he says, I still love them. English Beat also fit in with that genre, and I loved their stuff. Mike can't stand it though for some reason, so I rarely pull it out anymore. I had a big crush on Anthony Kiedis, too, for most of my high school years. A kid who had a crush on me even bought me the "Blood Sugar *** Magik" album when it first came out as a way of trying to win a date with me. I just remembered that, so funny. BOB MARLEY! Loved everything that man made. I can honestly say I have (had?) every cd of his. Even some earlier recordings that were unearthed after his death. I went through a reggae/ska stage for many years. The Specials, Madness, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, eventually No Doubt. I laughed when you mentioned Sophie B. Hawkins. Mike totally thinks in the "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" song that the background vocals are saying "I love tacos!" "Who loves tacos?" Listen to it again, and you'll totally hear it. Nine Inch Nails was awesome! The early 90's were chock full of some great grunge/electronic bands. Loved every bit of it. Can't say I've ever heard the songs or artists you listen to today since I listen mostly to my iPod or very specific stations on XM. As long as they aren't country, then you should be fine;)

Anonymous said...

I think a love for music is inevitable if you were raised in our house. I love how different artists make me think of certain periods of my life and bring back memories. Right after high school I would drive around in my little blue truck blasting Sublime, Beastie Boys and Bob Marley on a battery powered ghetto blaster because the car radio was out and whenever I hear them I always think of those days.

If I had to summarize my love for music in one word then I would definitely say Beatles! I like how Steven's friend Travis put it when we saw the Fab Four...Beatles have to be an act of God or something supernatural, music like that could never happen on accident!

Leslie said...

I'm with you about Gwen. I think Tragic Kingdom was her best album. I couldn't get into the Hollaback stuff.
But, I'm with your mom on Country. Can't do it!
I take it from a few comments ago your mom is into Steven Tyler. That man is multi-talented, and he is very interesting. A wild guy, but a sweet guy. Or should I say he used to be a wild guy! But aren't most of the rock stars.
Did you know Trent Reznor, I think that's his name from Nine Inch Nails just won the Oscar for the music in The Social Network? I always love when musicians surprise us and turn out to be diverse.
Danny Elfman was the same way and ended up more successful doing film scores.
I'm sorry to say I am not an Elvis fan, nor am I a Beatles fan. I can see The Beatles in the comment above me. Hard to believe I know.
Maybe a couple of songs but that's it.
I want to hear more about the music you were raised on. Wasn't Glenn in a band, with his brother?
I think I remember hearing this.
I still want to be in a band and I have always wanted to play the guitar. And you already know about my tambourine.

Leslie said...

Want to hear one more thing?
I Haaatttttteeeeee Motown!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I remember when I got married and your mom gave me a "Renouf Family favorites" CD, which had lots of great old music (especially Dean Martin). I love all the old stuff like that and when I made the CDs for my wedding I included a ton of rat pack, Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. Unfortunately, my wedding DJ (Glenn) thought that my music line up was too drab and he mostly played the lively stuff that keeps people up and dancing, haha!

As for what they raised us on, definitely lots of rock. Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Aerosmish, Led Zepplin, etc. Julie will have to chime in with more, she is the one with the best memory.

Anonymous said...

Also, I gotta disagree with the above comment...I LOVVVEEEE Motown!

Seth and Julie said...

Jen, we finally found some common musical ground! Yay!

Val, I like the Beatles, with a small l, but not love. I have never been able to totally go there with you guys. Your second comment reminds me of our days jumping off the furniture everytime Jump by Van Halen came on. I still love all the rock we were raised on and even some of the hair band stuff Mom liked.

Leslie, I liked Tragic Kingdom too, but listen to the self-titled album if you haven't already. That one was even better. As for country, I guess I just lived in Utah long enough that it rubbed off. I hated it when I got there, and it is not so much the sound that I like, as the words. I saw Trent Reznor win an Oscar and I was screaming with excitement. He looked like a business man. Too funny. I also love when Danny Elfman does movie soundtracks and I should have mentioned earlier that I loved Oingo Boingo. Was Glenn in a band? I don't know. His brother played drums and Glenn has an okay voice but I don't remember him being in a band? Val? Mom? Glenn is the biggest music lover ever though and has a whole room full of music, and more pouring in all the time. He was the Elvis fan. I remember you once saying that you liked Crosy Stills and Nash because of my mom and dad and I never remember either of them introducing me to them. Glenn had their albums but I never knew my mom and dad were fans, so that was fun to learn. Oh, and I thought you were going to say that you hate Motab, rather than Motown and I hate to say it but I really CAN'T listen to Motab. Is that bad? Nonnie and Papa used to listen to it, and I would always ask why they listened to it. They weren't even LDS so they didn't have any obligation to listen to that. I recognize that they are mega talented but I just can't stand that type of music.

Leslie said...

Julie,
Am I wrong about CSN&Y? I could be. I was a child.
But, I have CSNY and your parents all wrapped up in Yosemite, maybe because CSNY was always playing in Yosemite, or somebody was always in Camp Curry playing Neil on his guitar. Lisa liked CSNY and I thought she was into them because your parents liked them. But, I took it to a whole new level, since that is what I do and rrreeallllyyy got into them. I saw them all the time through high school at an old club by the beach. I was always the youngest kid in the room, but I loved it.
Zep was and is huge to me, too. Love them! I like all that angry hession music, which a lot of people find really surprising! Even Motley Crew, some songs from Rainbow, AC DC, and Judas Priest. Don't ask me why but I like all that aggressive, angry stuff. I went to a few AC and Motley concerts when I was young and they were awful because the people were so frightening. Truly awful, so I stuck to listening to them in my car. Basically, I love all that School of Rock stuff, and old late 60's rock. Zep is up there as The Favorite and CSNY will always be my Favorite, too. Have you seen the movie Almost Famous? I loved that movie. Roy saw it once and said the minute he watched it he knew I would love it. I was in love with Russell for a little while and carried his picture around in my wallet.
I thought Glenn was in a band, or maybe he just sang, but I remember your mom telling us that he came to life with the microphone. It was a long time ago so maybe I got it wrong, but that's what I thought.
That is so cute Grandma and Grandpa would listen to Mormon Tab. It's Motown I can't stand. Motab I can listen to, but the music is Soooooo sad. It just makes me feel sad. I know it's reverent music but it's also depressing to me. I have a tendency to think a lot of songs are sad though. Songs most people don't. Hymns, primary songs, so many are so sad to me. I can barely listen to them. See: One of my many quirks.
I can't do church music cd's though. The modern spiritual songs. Can't do it. I couldn't even name some but there are lots of cds at Ensign books that when I hear them playing I would never, ever buy.
Some people love that kind of music, but I just don't.
I have all of Gwen's albums. I love Tragic Kingdom because it reminds me of when my kids were little and Mike brought it home for me the minute he heard the song I'm just a Girl. He knew I'd love it. See! It's Angry. I think some of the angriest songs are the best.

Leslie said...

Valerie,
I love all those old songs, too. I love all our wedding cd's because they're fun songs and then they just remind me of everyone's weddings.
Catherine had my favorite cd because she had all the Italian songs.
What would life be without music.
One of my favorite non fiction writer's calls music,
Auditory Cheesecake. I thought that was a perfect way to describe it.

Cheryl said...

I LOVE The Smiths! And Elvis!and Pink and Bon Jovi. Oh Depeche Mode how I love thee. Sarah McLachlan, Guns and Roses, Jewel's first album (the only one I own as well although her lullaby album is pretty) and I LOVE No Doubt. We were listening to them in the car all last week. Nine Inch Nails is making a new album by the way!!! Oh wow. I also had a huge Anthony Kiedis crush and used to draw that star thing everywhere. I had a few of the Chili Peppers shirts too.

I really like Neon Trees and Jar of Hearts too. Seriously I wish Pink hadn't added the F word to that song. There is a young artist (I mentioned her in my music post) that did a cover of the song and just said, "less than, less than perfect" but she just doesn't have that voice that Pink has.It's unfortunate because there are a lot of self esteem songs out right now and that one is by far the best one.

Well, I think we have a lot more in common in music than I thought. You are all over the place just like I am.

Cheryl said...

Oh and I just read through the comments. Also love Oingo Boingo and get excited about seeing Danny Elfmans name on movie credits still.
And you are correct the self titled album is even better than Tragic Kingdom although I Looooove Tragic Kingdom. I like all their albums though even Hella Good and some of Gwen's new stuff. I just love her.

Oh and Depeche Mode may sometimes be monotone and cheesy but he has got the sexiest singing voice ever. I mean, listen to I want you now and tell me I'm not right. :)

Seth and Julie said...

Leslie, I haven't seen Almost Famous. I will put it on my list, although I met my one movie a quarter quota with Scott Pilgrim. I know what you mean about church music. Some of it grew on me on my mission when it was all I could listen to, but listening to the hymns is so boring that I get frustrated and almost angry. I love Primary songs, because my kids sing along and because it reminds me of my little Primary friends. But...have you heard the articles of faith songs? They are such a downer. We have the kids sing one a week to help memorize the AofF but they make me feel miserable. If we are going to sing out our basic beliefs, shouldn't we make them more upbeat?

Cheryl, I knew you and Jen would like my music better once I eliminated the country. Also, I did find Pink's radio version of Perfect where she says less than instead of the f word. It is on my playlist, and I agree that the f word didn't add anything to the song. I think Raise Your Glass is a good self esteem song too, but I couldn't find the swear free version of that on playlist.

Susie said...

Leslie, I was into CSNY, not Billy as much. I also wanted to be in a band but the fact that I can't sing hold me back a bit. I did play guitar and earned a living at it during high school. Julie, thank you for better music on the blog. You can't beat the King. Much better than that tear jerking country crap.