CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Good News, Bad News

Good News! I went to the gym today.

I put it off until lunch time, but finally quit thinking about it and just went. I wanted to try some of the machines, but I was feeling wimpy when I got there. Chloe was a little nervous too, since she had to go to Kids Court without Alex and Alyssa. I think that is the first time she ever had to be separated from me, without them. She tried to chicken out, but quickly got over her nerves and had a great time. Anyhow, I walked the track for two miles trying to decide which machines to try and building the nerve to go figure out how they worked. I finally checked out the stair climber that my sister keeps telling me about, but only stayed on it for 10 minutes because I felt silly, and because it was kind of hard. So then I decided to just go walk another mile. Maybe that is not too impressive, but at least I went AND even if I am just walking, I do walk fast. I don't think I realized how fast until I kept lapping people. And here is where the bad news comes in....
Photobucket
And if you think that looks ugly, you should see my socks. Saturated! I got new shoes this weekend and they felt great until I had about two laps to go. Then I noticed that one heel hurt. Not bad though so I finished up. Once I sat still in the car, I realized both heels hurt. I hobbled in to the house and only then realized I was bleeding. My shower hit the back of my feet like a needle rainstorm. Ouch! Now I am all bandaged up and feeling good again.

But I need advice from those of you who have been around the exercise block before. Do I put those shoes back on tomorrow or not?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Bandaids and maybe try the shoes again? I don't know, maybe swimming is your exercise for tomorrow and let your feet have a rest. YIKES! But way to go!

Kory Jane said...

Yikes Julie...can you take those back? Your shoes should not be making you bleed. If they fit right they should not hurt your feet at all. Got new shoes and ran 16 miles with no problems whatsoever. Next time go to a specialty running store and be fit for shoes. It cost lots more but you will feel like you are walking/running on air and it makes it worth it. I also got shoes in that same brand and returned mine because they hurt my feet. Try Saucony or Brooks.

Cheryl said...

I agree with the Saucony brand. That's what my mom wears for most of her marathons and it's what I use. I got mine at TJ Maxx cheap and they are awesome. No pain at all. But I would also recommend that you get good socks. You can get some just about anywhere that have extra cushioning on the heels and other hot spots.
Good job getting there and getting in three miles! I think that's great.... and it is impressive. You had to overcome a lot to get there and do that so you should be feeling proud of yourself!

Seth and Julie said...

Makinzee, I don't know how to swim. Embarrassing, but true.

Kory, I should have asked you before I bought shoes. I bought them spur of the moment, because my old ones tore at the seam. My old ones were Sketchers and never caused me trouble, for years, although they were a bit heavy. I didn't want to spend $100 plus on shoes, because I am NOT a runner and have no intention of going that route, so I guess I just wanted something for $50 that would be good enough. I wonder if they would take them back? I feel bad because they couldn't resell them now, but you are right, I shouldn't have pools of blood in my socks.

Cheryl, Never thought to look at TJ Maxx. Good idea!

Julie L said...

"Dr. J" speaking here (as one who totally only has a little experience and definitely NO training): You have obviously not been walking like that for a while. The shoes just put extra pressure on that part of your skin where you have no callous. That can happen with the best shoes and the worst ones. See how you feel tomorrow. My guess is a good bandaid on each heal and either very very thick socks or a double pair of athletic socks that go up and over the blister area, should help protect the sores until they get a chance to heal. They will build up callous though. I know quality of shoes can make a difference, but I've managed with Costco brands and been just fine.

Anyway, enough of that. Congratulations for the BIG step (no pun intended)!

Seth and Julie said...

Julie, I actually walked that far with Seth the other day in my old shoes with no problem. And in good weather I take walks around the lake that are twice that long. Walking is one of the only types of exercise that I don't consider torture so I do manage to do it sometimes. I agree that I can probably break them in though and make them work for me, but I am still thinking about taking them back. Just wondering if it is appropriate to return something that is ruined? I have heard the same thing about wearing flats too...just wear down a callous, but I have no patience for shoes that hurt my feet so I just don't wear flats. I do notice that my old shoes have a little chunk carved out at the top of the heel so that they don't rub on me. Maybe I should have looked for ones with that again?

Tony and Ann said...

At least try taking them back! If they won't take them, use peroxide to get the blood out and use them for something else. But buying a good pair is usually good advice. For our Trek, we both bought good brands that felt great, and Tony got one tiny blister on the last day. Almost 30 miles, up hill, down hill, pulling a handcart--actually more than 30 miles, cause we always got a campsite about 14 miles from the outhouse--uphill in the snow both ways!! But we also wore sock liners--thin, slick socks that help reduce friction. Maybe try a pair?
Congrats on going though!

Katie and Mark said...

OUCH! I don't think shoes should hurt like that! I would say take them back.

If you keep them, Band-Aids and THICK shocks!

Way to go!

Jen said...

It's hard to say whether the shoes are crap or your feet are crap...haha. I would bet that your Skechers are built differently in the back and your foot wasn't used to the shape of the Adidas. I also think we are all structured differently and different brands work for different people. I do agree with the notion though that you've got to build up callouses. I'm the one who told you that you CAN wear flats, but you've got to let your feet get used them even enduring some bloody blisters. My feet always go through that each spring/summer when I start wearing my flats and sandals again. I've actually got a healing blister right now after wearing my wedges all last week in NC. Oh, the price we pay for beauty;)

I bought a pair of $250 running shoes one time years ago on several recommendations (I laughingly thought I was going to become a runner) and had to return them because they kept making my feet fall asleep while running no matter how loose or tight I tied them or how differently I tried to run in them. I went back to my trusty Nikes and have stuck with them ever since. I do have some Nike Air Max that were $150 that I use for my dance cardio because they are built for those who tend to get shin splints. The Nikes I wear regularly though were about $70 and do me just fine.

Oh I forgot, Mike also bought some really expensive running shoes from a specialty running store (can't remember the brand) to prepare for his marathon a couple of summers ago and he hated them even after wearing them for several weeks. He's always been a Nike guy, too, and went back to his Nikes for the marathon and did great.

Like I said, everyone is different. You may find your feet like a different brand entirely. You just have to keep looking or try to make those Adidas work.

Jen said...

Oh, socks, too! Gotta get good socks. You can get good ones even at Target but new and ones specifically for running/sports will make a difference. I gotta get news ones soon, too.

Brittney said...

I just want to say, I can't swim either and I've had lessons. Luckily I'm tall enough to touch the bottom and I wear a vest in the lake. I love water sports. So not that lame.

And dang, girl, that stinks. Hope you get something better.

Kory Jane said...

Seems lots of conflicting advice, I would just say get shoes that work. Shoes should NOT do that to your feet period. Take em back. If you keep rubbing that blister it will get infected so just be careful. Since you are not considering running long races Nike's would probably do. All my marathon training partners agree that specialty running shoes work better for long hard runs. Whatever you decide, please remember your feet should not be leaving blood pools in your shoes. At least try to take them back. Most shoe stores will after a short amount of time. That is another good thing about specialty running stores. I can take my running shoes back after 90 days of purchase no questions asked if I don't like them. To me that makes it all worth it. Good luck.

Tony and Ann said...

OK--kept thinking that 30 miles for the trek was a bit whimpy--was closer to 50 actually on the trail, and many more in camp--pretty good for someone as old as me who was wearing a dress, bloomers and a bonnet for those 4 trekking days! And even helping with the handcart (minimally).