We spend a lot of time at church. It baffles some people. It has led to curious looks from neighbors and guarded questions from Seth's co-workers.
Last Sunday, Seth had a meeting in the morning, so I bathed and dressed and wrangled the kids to church. This week I had a meeting, so Seth dressed and bathed and wrangled the kids to church. We struggled to entertain Alex and Chloe with the guess which hand my ring is in game through sacrament meeting. We ran to set up the Primary room as soon as the other ward finally vacated it, 10 minutes before we needed it. I don't know how things went on the battle front with the 14 and 15 year old boys that Seth works with, but we had 62 wild monkeys in Primary. I have never had a day as difficult as today was with those kiddos. There was something seriously weird going on.
But then we came home and kicked up our feet, and asked the kids to tell us what they learned in class. Alyssa learned about the brother of Jared and recited the story back to us. Good girl.
Then I asked Alex...what did you learn in Primary and he answered me in his brief 5 year old way.
Seth was across the room and restated what he heard, "about following the commandments?"
Then I laughed because I could totally see how what Alex said almost sounded like that.
But since Alex was on my lap I heard what he actually said, loud and clear.
What did you learn in class Alex?
About Halloween and butts.
And that's why we do it. Can't you tell it's working?
Second Week of School
3 years ago
7 comments:
Ha ha ha! I love it when they almost get it!
Oh goodness, Julie. I don't know that I like this post because you are revealing what we are really talking about in church. I have a friend who's husband grew not believing in celebrating Halloween because they thought it was satanic or something. My friend didn't really agree but went along with it because Halloween wasn't really that big of a deal for her. After telling her about our haunted house we did one year in D.C. she joked that we were worshipping the bad man downstairs (all in jest because I make fun of her for not being able to celebrate). If she read this, I think she would maybe start to believe her jokes;)
Oh, Alex, you are too too funny!
I love it! This sounds exactly like what goes on at our house when we ask the kids about church. Samm of course tells us about every detail and usually James just says "uhm" One of his teachers told me once though that they were talking about the Nephites and James piped up and said "so does that make us the Lamanites?" I hold on to that one small shred of hope that he is learning something.
Just imagine him as a great missionary--spreading the good news through some foreign country about Halloween and butts!! Ha!
He is so funny! Not sure what he could learn about butts, he seems to be the expert!
loved this post because i love ALEX. Had to share it with hubby because it was so true!
Post a Comment