CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 8, 2010

I Believe in Christ

Last night, as Seth was flipping through the channels, we heard the word Mormon so we paused to have a listen. The people who were speaking were informing the viewers about what Mormons believe.

Then they started to talk about other groups, groups like the Manson Family. Yep, you guessed it. They were talking about cults, and comparing Mormons to Charles Manson.

Now, I am pretty tolerant. You are entitled to believe whatever you want to believe and you are entitled to think whatever you want to think about my religion. I have never been one to contend with others about my religion. I know people who love to bash with others about their beliefs, but not me. I don't find that interesting, or Christian. I don't get ruffled when someone makes fun of my religion, sometimes I even laugh. We are kind of fun to make fun of.

And when the church down the street comes by 3-4 times a year to invite us out, we thank them, and we mean it. I am thankful that people are out there trying to teach about God. We are welcoming when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door. Even when Seth told them he served a mission for the LDS church and they followed up with, "so you only believe in giving two years service to God". What could we have said? So many things. Those two years were 24/7, for one thing, and we still do a lot in our church. But guess what? We don't have to justify ourselves to anyone. We know who we are and we know that we are doing the best we can to serve God each day.

I do not feel threatened by other people's beliefs. I will listen to what you believe, and I will allow you to believe it. If you wear a cross, I will not launch it to that awful analogy that I hear fellow Mormons use too often about how you wouldn't wear the murder weapon of a loved one around your neck. I hate that. I have hated it since the first time I ever heard it. It is insulting and crass. If someone wears a cross to openly show love for Christ then I say hooray for them.

As for my church, I don't need to defend my church. It defends itself every day, without saying a word. I have met many people (Mormon or not) who have told me that the LDS church helped them during hard times when no one else would. I see what my church does in the world to relieve suffering and I am proud to be a part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I also don't need to defend the leaders of my church. They work tirelessly for the good of others. I know that. I see that.

So when I see my religion being casually lumped in with the Manson Family and Jim Jones, well, I find it ludicrous, but I was willing to say whatever...people are just ignorant. People really are! I feel like I should mention that The Jehovah's Witnesses were also targeted as a cult in this program as well, and while I don't agree with their teachings I will stand up for them too and say that that comparison is absurd, and unfair. But again, whatever...people are ignorant!

Time to change the channel.

But wait, here comes a man, who was once Mormon, talking about what Mormons believe about Jesus Christ. Now I don't care whether or not you would assign the word Christian to me, and I don't care how much you dislike my faith. You may say what you want about me, but do not tell me what I believe. Do not tell the world what I believe. I'll tell them, since they are my beliefs and not yours. Fair enough?

This man claimed that Mormons do not believe in Jesus Christ as a Savior. We do. I do! He also said that the only thing we think Jesus did was overcome death and that I have to overcome sin on my own, through my works. Also, false. The resurrection of Jesus Christ was important, but it is the atonement of Jesus Christ that I rely on to get me back to God. I know that it is only through Christ that I am saved. I believe in working, and striving to do all that I can to be ready to stand in the presence of God someday, but my works alone could NEVER save me. I am 100% reliant on my Savior. He is everything to me. Just thought I'd set the record straight.

Enough said, channel turned.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I like what you said "Don't tell others what I believe when they are not your beliefs" or something like that. When I was in Texas everyone of my coworkers came up and tried to tell me what my belief was. I was able to tell them the truth and bear my testimony. Hopefully it stuck...

I get really frustrated when people do that. I tell them that I would never go up to a Jew and tell them what they believe and I would never assume anything about their faith without finding out from an actual Jewish person. Also, I wouldn't go to a Catholic and have them tell me what a Jewish person believes. Argh. The best I can do is just clear up the misconceptions...

Thank you for your testimony Julie!!

Julie L said...

Love your testimony. And I agree 100%. But you're right, there will always be people who tout misinformed lies and call them truths. Sometimes the ones who struggle the most are those who have turned their backs on the teachings. Because they never really understood them in the first place, usually. I, too, am depending my life on my Savior and His Atonement. I will forever be grateful that I know Him, to have felt His presence in person, and to feel His love every day of my life. But I have to do my best to keep the Commandments and to repent when I slip up (which I seem to do on a regular basis) to take advantage of the Atonement as a saving ordinance.

Team Ryan said...

AMEN! Julie you said it perfectly. I hate when people bash or judge on religion and beliefs... mine or others-that is SO not Christ-like.

But how grateful I am for a Savior that loves us all SO much, he suffered the ultimate suffering and paid the ultimate price for me and everyone else.

Thank you again for a wonderful post and for your testimony!

Kory Jane said...

You are better than me!! I have a hard time when people display what we believe falsely. The church and the gospel are the center of what we are made of, so I guess it might be the ROLLINS temperment that would say hold on, you got that wrong. I don't like to bible bash either, but when someone is spreading false things I say set them straight. I like it here in MD. Most people here have heard of Mormons but are not sure of what we believe and are not judgemental for the most part. Talk about a horrible comparison though...yikes.

Anonymous said...

I notice that people tend to say that Mormons don't believe in Christ as a Savior. Or they just like to summarize the religion and assign weird rules or beliefs. I'm sure that is frustrating, but I also agree it is better not to get into arguments about it. That is definitely not what Christ would want.

That's funny you mention the whole cross thing. I was always so turned off by crosses because of Mormons making that comparison. Now I see it way different...a symbol of love and sacrifice rather than murder.

Cheryl said...

Here Here.
I actually used to wear a cross necklace because I never thought of it as the 'murder weapon'.. I always think of Jesus when I see one. But it was just too misunderstood so I haven't worn it in years.
I think so many people want to be so quick to judge others beliefs whether they are different religions or belong to the same church.
I know sometimes I'll say or do something and based on people's reactions I wonder if they are thinking I'm not religious or don't live up to their expectations of what a Mormon should do or not do.
I love what you said about not telling me what I believe in and about respecting others religious views without getting angry about it.
I believe in Christ too!

Sally said...

Very well said! I get the J.W.'s on my doorstep a lot, and I always listen to their message and thank them for coming by because I have a lot of respect for what they are doing even if I don't have the same beliefs as them.

Jen said...

I couldn't have said it better. You clearly expressed what I may have hard a time saying if some person confronted me with what they "learned" from a "documentary" like that. I find it pretty sad that someone who claims to have been Mormon (so must have surely attended church and studied the scriptures/doctrine) could say such false information and still look themselves in the mirror.