CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Break, Week Two: Part Five (The End)

This is it! The finale! Hooray!

Friday, January 1st

I'll be quick, I promise because I have to go plan Family Home Evening, and resume my mothering duties.

We kicked off the new year by taking the kids bowling. This was the first time ever for my kids, and since I was busy bowling a stellar 58, I had very little time for picture taking. It takes mad concentration to be that bad at something.

We had a great time!


Photobucket

Seth's mom sent Chloe some Wyoming pride for her birthday and Seth wanted her to wear it to church. I thought the bowling alley was a more appropriate venue for debuting her Cowboy wear.

Photobucket

Alyssa was the only kid to bowl a strike...GO ALYSSA! Little Miss Olive won though...GO OLIVE!

Photobucket

Alex managed to do even worse than I did, and he had bumpers. It didn't help that a few times he was throwing the ball down the lane before the gate was even up. He just wasn't that interested.

Photobucket

Nachos, on the other hand, were right up his alley.

Photobucket

Some of our little kingpins. Olive, the champion was unavailable. Off signing autographs, or going potty? One or the other.

Photobucket

We spent the rest of the day just letting the kids squeeze in some more Wii time, and refereeing fights. It seems that if kids are locked up together for 5 days, they become siblings. They were all sad to part, but they needed a break. Punches and potty talk were starting to flow too freely.

We put the kids to bed early, since they had a big drive ahead the next day, and the adults played Scrabble. Real Scrabble this time, no editing parentheses required. We also made and consumed THE PERFECT BROWNIE. The kids got me the perfect brownie pan for my birthday just days after my mother in law had posted about how it doesn't work. We lost the receipt so I figured we might as well try it out. It worked, sorry Ann! (we already sent her a text message to tease her) The stencils weren't too great which is why my house is all powdered sugared, but the pan worked. It was fine, but I wouldn't say that you need one unless you have trouble cutting a brownie. I am much more interested in an all edge brownie pan, which I invented years ago. Someone just beat me to the market with it.

Photobucket

Saturday morning dawned freezing cold, and the mid-West quickly lost it's charm and drove the Englishes South once again. We made plans to try to go to Tennessee in the Spring, and we all parted ways.

We are so grateful to our family for making the trip up here. It made the holidays feel more like the holidays. I love that Sarah's family is within driving distance. They are not close, but 10 hours is closer than the 30 it would take me to get to LA. It really is such a blessing to be able to get together and let the kids develop friendships. It is amazing that even though they do not get to see each other often, they remain the best of friends.

Thanks for coming guys! See you in the Spring!

Now we are caught up. Life is now back to normal. I sadly put Alyssa back on the bus today, in the frigid cold. The bus was late and I was so tempted to just let her skip today. I feel like Christmas break was way too short. She agreed. The first thing she asked this morning was when the next half days and holidays would be. Then, to make it worse, it was too cold for outdoor recess so she couldn't talk to her best friends about Christmas break, since they are not in her class. Why do schools in Wisconsin not have an indoor playground? They end up with indoor recess half the year. Oh well, I am caught up now so I will not go on a tangent.

Resolution complete. Back to blogging as usual! Did anyone even make it through all 5 posts? I mean, besides Grandma Ann who had 6 cute grandbabies to look at?

11 comments:

Heather said...

I made it Julie! Was that at the GRC? I also didnt know that Wisconsin had any hills other than the one in our back yard. When it really snows you will have to come over and try it out! Congrats on completing a resolution already. Thats pretty amazing! I think you need to try something harder. ;)

Tony and Ann said...

Well yeah I made it through all the posts!! If I couldn't be there, at least I got to see the pics! And congrats on your perfect brownies--cause mine were a disaster. Maybe it's the altitude? Chloe is adorable in the WYO cheerleader outfit (not dress, as Seth is trying to convince you). Although....

Sarah E. said...

Thanks for blogging about our trip! I think that I am going to send anyone your way to catch them up on our week two of Christmas break. My kids are already making grand plans for when you come here. Though I am going to say lets learn from our mistakes and make permanent sleeping arrangements ahead of time! You guys were perfect hosts and we loved hanging out with you!

I don't know if I should say this or not, ok, I will... We are on 2 hour delay today. I thought I was leaving the cold behind when we left WI. I was all set to send you a picture of sunny warm Tennessee, instead we have an "arctic chill" (that is from NWS web page) and we are at a frigid 22*. There was a chance of snow in the forcast so they put us on delay. Funny isn't it. Your kids would be sent out to recess and mine are being kept home.

Julie L said...

Yes, I got them all. All the fun and all the yuck and it's been a great treat! So glad you're into blogging!

Jen said...

You know we haven't bowled once since we've been in Kenosha, yet there are 2 bowling alleys here. Annie did go to a bowling party though. Looks like your kids had a blast. Chloe looks adorable in her cowgirl wear. So glad to hear that your Perfect Brownie did work. Now make some more and bring them over here.

Susie said...

The other grandma made it too. Of course a grandparent will hang on every word and picture. Sounds like everyone had a great time and the perfect brownies looked . . . well, perfect.

Katelin said...

I read them all, but I don't think I can comment on all that fun and cuteness! There's too much! Love the bowling, the brownies, the Wyoming pride, the sledding, the teeth, BTW--where did the Tooth Fairy get those cool key chains?, the cousin love, and the Chloe doll baby. Aw. So fun!

Cheryl said...

I made it through them all too and enjoyed every minute!
we've never been bowling with Abi.. we'll need to do it one of these days.
I am all for an all edge brownie!

Katie and Mark said...

We love to bowl! And those Nachos looked like they madethe perfect bowling alley treat!

Unknown said...

Love that comment" it was more appropriate for the bowling alley!" And can I just say how much the girls look like there momma's. Aspen=Sarah Alyssa=Julie! Gorgeous

Tanya said...

Brian got the same brownie pan for Christmas. He loves Brownies! Especially the corners. We haven't tried it out yet. Sure hope it works! The kids saw it at the store and insisted in buying it for him. Last year he got a muffin topper. He loved it, in fact I wish he'd use it more often. Thanks for sharing such fun posts.