CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Look Who's Five!

Today my baby boy is 5. Big pout! I hate 5. I hated when Alyssa turned 5 too. Of course I feel very blessed to have had 5, 10, 50 years with my babies but 5 is the first birthday where they become a kid to me. When you say "my son is 5" no one thinks, oh how cute you have a little one. Five sounds school aged. It sounds grown up. I am so thrilled at the idea of these kids growing up and having years and years and years of life, but I am just not ready.

Ready or not, he is 5. Little Alex.

Alex was born in the craziest time. We were offered a new job, moved our stuff cross country, stayed with family, without our stuff, in Utah, then in California, then we moved in to a rental house in Wisconsin, sold the Utah house, house shopped in Wisconsin, and finally landed right here, all in his first couple months of life. Everything was rushed and hectic and now I find that I desperately want to go back and just hold my baby.

I really love Alex. It is no secret that Alex can drive me a little crazy. He is physically very trying but emotionally he causes me nothing but joy. When I look at Alex I can see all the way to his soul and it is magnificent. I look in his eyes and I know exactly where he came from. Alex has the most pure and beautiful spirit, and no, I don't mean that in a "he has a great personality" kind of a way. Alex is adorable, no doubt, but he also radiates something special and unique.

I have seen so many changes in Alex in his fifth year of life. He has learned so much and grown so much. His vocabulary has quadrupled, but luckily he still talks in his heavenly sing-song baby voice. His imagination has taken flight. I am amazed at all the things he builds and creates and I am in love with his creativity. Alex will sit and play games with me now, or sing songs, or read stories, or draw pictures. Alex is still more energetic than the general public but he is learning to focus. He learned all his letters and letter sounds, by himself. Alex likes to learn most things by himself. He has learned that we ride in elevators and not alligators. He has learned that Bumblebee is a Transformer and not a san-fo-mo. He has had a big year.

The most prominent, and cutest, change in Alex this past year has been that he fell in love. With me. I know most boys go through this stage but I have found it so amusing. Alex tells me everyday that I am prettiful and every 21 seconds that he loves me. (No one tell him that prettiful isn't a word because it is my favorite!) He spent several months declaring his intentions to marry me someday. One day Alyssa couldn't take it anymore and said in a rather exasperated manner, "ALLLEEEXXX...she is your mom, you CAN'T marry her." I wondered if his feelings would be hurt, but without missing a beat he came back with, "Can we date?" So cute! For months we would be eating dinner or driving to school and he would say, "we are on a date mommy". Cute, cute,cute! Alex will jump up from whatever he is doing to give me a hug and a kiss. One day Alex and Seth were making cookies and I came in to the kitchen. I extended an invitation, "Hi buddy, do you want to give me a kiss?" Seth didn't even look up, but Alex drew in a huge gasp of air and proclaimed "YEEEESSS!" We just laughed and Seth said, while shaking his head, "that boy really loves his momma". He really does. I once said that no one has ever needed me as much as Alyssa needs me. It is quite possible that no one loves me as much as Alex loves me.

Although Alex still loves me dearly, I think his affection is moving out of the crush stage. I think there may even be another woman on the horizon. The other day Taylor Swift was singing on TV and he stared, mouth agape, through the entire number. When she was done he asked me, "Do you think her has a boyfriend? Her probably has a boyfriend. I probably can't date her." Then he was off to playing again.

No matter. Girls will come and go, but I loved him first. I love him most.

Happy Birthday Little Man!
Photobucket

13 comments:

Susie said...

Happy Birthday Big Al. Grandma Susie loves you. Can I request a picture of Alex with the Bat cave? Have a fun day!!

Linda King said...

Happy Birthday Alex! We love and miss you. Have the best birthday a five year old ever had. I wish Grandpa and I could be there to celebrate with you when your eyes light up--can't wait to hear all about it.

Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday Alex! What a sweet post about him and that picture is just beautiful. (or prettiful)

bill said...

Happy Birthday Alex... to one of the cutest five year old boys I know. I only know of one other former five year that cute.

Grandpa Bill

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Alex!
I can't believe you are 5 years old!!
Have fun on your birthday and don't forget to give your mom a big hug and kiss, she needs it!!

Team Ryan said...

Happy Birthday ALEX!!! Hope you have a WONDERFUL day :) 5 already?! wasn't it JUST last year he was Crush the turtle for Halloween ;) Miss you buddy!!!

Sarah E. said...

Happy birthday Alex! How fun to be five! I love your sponge bob pictures!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this guy!! I can't believe he asked if he could just "date" you, I never heard that one. It is crazy how much he has grown this year. He has always been the sweetest though, that will never change!!

Happy Birthday Al!!!

Katelin said...

Happy Birthday Alex!!! I'll relive last year's robot party in my mind right now in your honor--I can't believe it's been a year already! John and Sara are still constantly talking about when we visited you and had a sleepover, and we can't wait to see you all again.

The post is too cute--adorable picture. I agree that five is like a real kid. How'd they get so big?!

Heather said...

That is great that he loves you so much! I love the picture...so precious! I had the same thoughts recently as Alissa turned 5. Its just too big. Oh well, Happy Birthday Alex!

Julie L said...

Why life starts to shift into high gear when kids turn 5 is beyond me. I love the word "prettiful". I will add that to my dictionary! What a sweet tribute.

LeShel said...

gorgeous picture.
5 IS definitely sad.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize Alex and Maddy were so close in age. AND that we both moved away from our home to have them. Happy 5 Alex.