CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Holiday After the Holiday

In recent years I have come to enjoy Black Friday every bit as much as Thanksgiving. Seth's family LOVES Black Friday. They look at ads and gear up on Thursday, and hit the sales all day on Friday. It is not even about getting any specific item. I have heard them make plans to hit a certain store for nothing more than socks. It is just a fun tradition and a fun day with family. A few years ago my mother in law's enthusiasm for the event finally rubbed off and I decided to join in. I still don't do the 5AM sales. Seth goes first to get any doorbusters that may be on our list. This year it was a keyboard for Miss Alyssa who has informed us that she is starting a garage band. After me and the kids roll out of bed and eat breakfast, Seth comes back for us and we make a day of it.

This year there wasn't even really anything that we wanted on sale but we still went out and let the kids get caught up in the hustle and bustle. We hit the toy store, where the kids made wish lists, and we will go back for those items. Since they weren't on sale there was no point waiting in line for an hour. We walked around the department stores where the crowds and smell of the perfume counters reminded me of Christmas Eve shopping with my step sister, Melissa, as a child. We hit Menards (a hardware store) because they always have the weirdest stuff at Christmas time. We kept with tradition and purchased our annual family ornament.

I just love Christmas! We didn't even end up buying much but it was such a fun day together, although I did sorely miss the wacky purchases that my mother in law brings home.

After shopping we stopped for lunch at Chipotle, which is not particularly noteworthy but it did contribute one cute story to the day. Alex and Alyssa were sharing a drink because they don't drink much and I am too cheap to buy 2 drinks that will remain 3/4 full at the end of the meal. Alyssa yanked the cup rather abruptly from Alex at one point. We made her give it back and reminded her to use her manners. A few minutes later she still sat there giving us the stink eye. She is a stubborn little girl. Alex put his head down and started slowly and silently passing the drink to her. We just looked at him but didn't speak. He lifted his eyes up briefly and met our gaze and quietly bluffed, "I heard her say please pass the root beer." Did I tell you this kid had a beautiful soul? He can't bear to see someone in trouble, or sad.

*Just so you know Alyssa has so many beautiful characteristics and you know I adore that little girl. I don't want it to look like I am throwing her under the bus. This was a shining moment for Alex, but Alyssa is certainly a little beacon of light in her own right.

After lunch and Chloe's nap we headed out to the downtown lighting ceremony. The stores downtown were hosting free games, face painting, balloon animals, crafts, and lots more. We didn't even stop to participate in all of it because it was cold and there was a pretty good sized crowd everywhere we went. The kids had a great time though and wanted to stay all night. I loved it too because I think it is awesome when the city puts on free, family-oriented events. It makes me so happy to live here. I also love our little historic downtown but I am afraid that it is on the verge of becoming extinct. I love to see people buzzing around in the little local shops. I would love to see downtown thriving. Why is it that we love strip malls and are perfectly content to let historical beauty die? That is just my little soap box. I would hate to see our little downtown become like Buffalo, New York. When I lived there I could see how beautiful it must have been once but the windows were all smashed out, stores were boarded up and all the phenomenal old houses were split in to several run down apartments. So sad! But anyhow, that was a tangent and I will now invite you to have a look at our little night out on the town.

Making popcorn balls at the popcorn store


Photobucket

Or just munching them in Chloe's case


Photobucket



Photobucket

Making ornaments. They had about 5 stops for different ornaments but we just made one.

Photobucket




Photobucket

Meeting Mrs. Claus

Photobucket

And writing letters to Santa. Yes, I let me kids play along with the whole Santa thing. I think I scared everyone last year when I came out swinging at Santa. I let my kids join in the fun. We watch Polar Express and I even make cookies to leave out, but I do not jump in to the whole thing with both feet. Last year when Alyssa told me that she thought Glenn (my step dad) was Santa because she never saw him go to bed on Christmas Eve, I told her that I thought that was probably very likely and that I had suspected as much as a child too. We can play and have fun with the whole Santa thing, but I will never be one of those ladies who wears the light up Christmas sweater and a button that says Believe. But I promise that I do love Christmas, last year I had some people suggest otherwise so I am just setting the record straight. I love Christmas!


Photobucket

Enjoying the window displays

Photobucket



Look who was riding around on the trolley, so much cooler than at the department store.

Photobucket

Alyssa was excited, Alex a little nervous

Photobucket

And Chloe, well she could be heard around town shouting her disdain. She is still telling me, "Papa on a dro-lee, scary." She calls Santa Papa (Grandpa)

Photobucket

The End...of the night, and the beginning of the season.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe you braved the crowds on Black Friday, but it looks like you guys had such a fun day! Love that last picture:) I've gotten a glimpse of Alex's sweet side, too. He's all boy most of the time, but it's there.

I wish we could've gone to the downtown lighting ceremony. The girls would have loved that! I do have say though, was it below zero or something because those kids look like they are ready for the Iditarod.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! Chloe in the picture with Santa is too funny! That place is so cool, I like the chairs and floor in the popcorn shop.

Chipotle not noteworthy? Are you nuts??

Dave took on a new approach to the whole Santa deal. He and Luke went and picked out a bunch of toys for Luke's Christmas gifts. Rather than taking Luke over to request these things from Santa, he just bought them (with Luke in tow). I asked him how the gifts are supposed to be from Santa..."I told Luke that we are sending them all to Santa so he can bring them on Christmas." Never mind that the gifts were all just sitting in plain sight at the time, such a weirdo!

Seth and Julie said...

Jen, I wish you guys had been there too. Maybe one of these holidays we can convince you to stay in town. I don't blame you though, if I lived in driving distance I would go see family too. Also, are you teasing me about over bundling my kids again? It was 30 degrees, That isn't insanely cold but it is hat and coat weather, at least for a girl who still has traces of California blood.

Val, I told Seth when we were in that popcorn shop that you would love the tables and tile. We go there every year on the first day of school and I always think of how much you would like it. I wish I'd typed that because I promise I was thinking it. I like Dave's new spin on Santa. Let's just remove the element of surprise and the specualtion altogether.

Sarah E. said...

The heart black Friday. Kind of. And I do know for a fact that my mom purchased socks on Friday. Go Mom! Love the fun times!

LeShel said...

i love BLACK FRIDAY!! IT is truly magic and wonderful and everything. I go even when I have nothing to buy because it makes me happy to be with everyone!
I can't believe I missed out on such a fun holiday event downtown. What was I doing sitting at home? Next year the kids and I will brave the crowds to enjoy some hometown flavor. Kjel will stay home, but we'll go!

Julie L said...

Oh, dang! I missed the socks! And we were even out there at 5:30. What ever was I not thinking?! (Like who thinks at that hour of the morning, anyway?) I love Chloe's reaction. Mike's kids did the same last year - even made Number One on U-tube for a few days with their video. Poor kids. They just don't get it, do they?

Katelin said...

That last picture is too cute! That's sweet that Alex didn't want Alyssa to be in trouble, and that's cool that there is a lighting ceremony. I didn't know that. Good for you for getting out there to make happy memories with your kids!

Susie said...

I think Alyssa might be right about Glenn, well he does have a large belly that shakes like a bowlful of jelly when he laughs and he does do all the shopping for the kids. Right now he has been added to the list of the stress the American Girl doll is causing as he got the one she wanted but it appears from her last phone call that she changed her mind. Santa-Glenn will have to go back to his toy shop.

Tony and Ann said...

Who wouldn't want half price socks?? I would stock up for the whole year at the Grand Central (Now known as Fred Meyer) store. 5 am, half price socks, donuts and apple cider. One year Grandma-Grandma, all 3 girls and I spent the whole day shopping! Til about 7 pm. We went back to G-G's house and were wiped out. But we had so much fun--trying everything on, doing fashion shows for the rest of the group, eating lunch out (and maybe even dinner??). G-G enjoyed it so much, even though she was very tired by the end. And--you have given me an idea for a gift for you!! What size sweater do you wear???
Yes, I did get socks Friday--but only because our local department store had a $10 off any $10 purchase coupon in the paper, and I ended up with 3, so took a long lunch hour and hit the store. Only problem?? The coupon was not valid on 90% of the stuff in the store--all I could find to use it on was socks!!! Maybe next year (remember I have a reservation with you for Thanksgiving dinner) we can see the kids do all these fun things.

Heather said...

We got the flyer for the lighting ceremony from school, and totally planned on going; but we spaced it! I kept sending Ryan out all day to purchase things, and we spent the rest of the night decorating the tree and stuff. It looks like it was fun though...besides the crowds. I will have to try harder to remember it next year!

Unknown said...

Come on a light up sweater? If I found one for you, would you wear it? Missed our generation--or we are still to come for it!)