I grew up about 20 minutes from my cousins. Every Sunday I drive 20 minutes to church. I drive 20 minutes to Target. Yet somehow, we didn't make that drive very often. We went on Yosemite vacations, St. George retreats, and met up at family gatherings, but in between, we never went down the street and made our relationships more permanent. My mom and her brother were several years apart, and they both had busy lives and lots of kids.
I loved the time I spent with my cousins but I knew them best through the things Nonnie would tell me about them. She was so proud of them, and why wouldn't she be? They are so talented, and beautiful, and confident. Ten kids and somehow they each had a standout personality. My Nonnie was so confident. So, so confident. I wish I had inherited that instead of these pesky early grays I am starting to find, but her confidence seemed to be passed down exclusively to my cousins. I look up to them. I always have.
Recently we have been having a full out cousins reunion in Blogland. We somehow missed each other when we were neighbors, but have found each other here. I suddenly wish they were right now only 20 minutes away because I would jump in the car and make that drive. They are so fabulous and I am loving getting to know them better.
Funny thing is, they have been enjoying my company too. As kids, I am sure they always wondered why I never opened my mouth, or joined in the games, or talent shows, or ANYTHING!
I am loving the second chance that blogging has granted. They have been so kind in their comments. Then, the other day when I was having a bad day I clicked over on Leslie's blog and her post was about me, her whole post. No way! No one has ever done a post about me. She was so complimentary and even later called my writing publishable in her comments. Leslie is a writer and that meant more than the cliche words "made my day" can really express, even if I put them in bold.
And today my cousin Erin (aka Prudence Pennywise) posted on her cooking blog that her next recipe is being posted for her cousin Julie. It is the brown bag apple pie I was yacking about recently. I will let you know when it is posted. I am standing with my face pressed up against the window of her blog, waiting like a Black Friday shopper. I also want to be Erin when I grow up. She was in drama and I remember watching her do improv comedy around the campfire in Yosemite and starting to take an interest in theatre. She was the first sister missionary in the family, and she enters cooking contests, and writes, and is a professor. All things I have dreamt of being if my body had been inhabited by a far more confident soul.
Then there are my birthday twins who have made comments and joined in the blogging conversation recently. I share a birthday with two of my cousins. Heidi, who is a year older and also got married exactly a year before me as well (only one day off). I have always felt connected to her. She was always so mature and poised, so she usually hung out with the older kids but I was always watching her from afar. And Catherine, who joins in our birthday fun. She is younger than me but I spent the most time with her and her little sister Mary Kate as children. They were my buddies! They probably came the closest to actually seeing me back then.
There are 10 of these amazing people and I am so excited to finally be getting to know some of them better. For the rest of you, come out come out wherever you are. It is getting fun in here.
Yesterday Leslie asked if we could have an Ask Julie session where they could ask questions about my life. My life! I love telling my stories because, well because you know how I feel about words but I didn't know I was intriguing to anyone. I am thinking an Ask Julie post would be fun and I am working out the details but for now Leslie, you can read about how I met Seth by clicking here. (that was one of her questions) I blogged a week long series last year for my anniversary called Becoming Seth and Julie. Scroll down and start with the one subtitled How We Met, and then work your way up.
Those of you who were with me last December are welcome to read it again if you choose. Oh, the rest of you are over me? Dang, I thought I really was fascinating for just a brief moment.
I think my cousins are just astounded that something lies beneath in this girl that they saw as so quiet and painfully boring. I was so, so shy! I still am. Me and my siblings still leave family functions laughing at how friendly and kind our cousins are, and how lame we are hanging out in the corner and never approaching anyone. I talked to my mom today and we had a good laugh. We could just imagine my cousins sitting around saying, "Holy Cow, who knew Julie had a personality?" Surprise!
I wish we'd done all of this years ago but I am so happy we are all here now. I bet Nonnie and Papa are so happy to see the Renouf Roundup back in session. Yee haw, who's printing the t-shirts.
Second Week of School
2 years ago
15 comments:
i know i'm not family but i loved reading this post.
Julie,
(This is Catherine (Erin's sister) I laughed so hard when I saw that Valerie wrote that on Erin's blog!)
What a kind post! I've been waiting for the perfect time to officially admit to my blog stalking, so thankyou for giving the perfect post.
I love your blog. I've been enjoying for a few weeks now. I love how honest you are and I love your writing. Your children are beautiful. I can definitely see you and Jeff and Valerie in there.
I wish we had spent more time together in between all those trips to St. George and Yosemite, too. I have happy memories of you and Jeff and Valerie coming over to swim, with Grandma and Grandpa. I always had fun with you guys and loved it when we got together. When we would go to Yosemite together, the mornings were tortuous waiting for you and Jeff, and Valerie to wake up.
I always knew you had a personality! We all did. But I think I thought that maybe you were more shy than you really are. Here in blogland, you don't seem shy at all.
I always think of you every year on our birthday. I've been thinking of you this week, because of our upcoming birthday. Heidi and I always have a good time discussing our respective birthday plans, now I would love to hear yours.
I loved what you said about Grandma and Grandpa being so happy about this Renouf Roundup going on in Blogland. I'm sure your right.
I laughed outloud at your last line, "Who's printing the T-shirts?"
-in response to your question on Leslie's blog - I do have a blog, but it's private. If you email me at catherineguteATaolDOTcom I'll send you an invite.
I'm so glad we're getting to know eachother again!
What a sweet post about your cousins. I didn't have a lot of relatives until I married Mike. I love all the siblings and cousins he's got, and it's really fun getting to know them. Glad you are finally getting to know your cousins better.
I think some where my mom and dad are smiling with tears in their eyes just like I am right now. I love that you guys are all connecting. You are all such amazing people and I have loved watching you all grow. Keep it up.
Julie:
I read your post this morning...then proceeded to spend the next hour rading your old posts about you and Seth. That is dangerous since morning time is so work-packed, so I finally had to tear myself away. Yes, you are fascinating, so tell us more! And now it is my turn to be shy. You were way tooooo generous with your compliments. I'll be shy and blush, but I'm also going to enjoy it too. Thanks. Can I re-read and re-read this post when it's my turn for a bad day?
We always loved the original threesome of Jeff, Julie and Valerie. ((And the three little ones later, too.) Yes, you were shy, but you were always fun and funny, too. I'm always embarassed when people look back because I was a free-spirited, obnoxious, wild maniac, so maybe you should be grateful that you were able to protect yourself with shyness from maniacal tendencies during your teenage years. I shudder to think about my improv around the fire at Yosemite. You should have brought a gong and a few rotten tomatoes. This really has been such fun, I feel like bursting out in a song from the King and I musical.."Getting to know you, getting to know all about you"
Oh, and I do wish we could really hang out in person. Don't you ever pass through St. George? Come and stay a few days. If we start to feel shy, we could just email each other from room to room. Hee hee. Ok, I'm supposed to be teaching Robert Sherman and Connecticut compromise to Sailor right now so I'd better run. Thanks again for all your kind words. Blushing some more and signing off.
PS. We need more interaction with Valerie (your sister) and where is Jeff? Are you there, Jeff?
Mary Kate called me this morning to ask if I had read your blog today. I told her I didn't and we talked about how frustrating the blog list is because it takes so long for it to show that someone has written a new post.
But,I quickly read your blog and I was laughing at the first paragraph about driving 20 minutes to church and Target but we only occasionally drove 20 minutes to meet up with cousins.
I laughed about the confident gene, and just want you to know that we all want to be Erin when we grow up.
I have to say that we always knew you were shy but then you went on a mission. It impressed us all, and we realized you must not be as shy as we thought.
I am so glad we're all getting a chance to know each other better.
I love reading about Grandma and realize you knew her much better than we did.
Also, it was nice of you to call me a writer. It's been two years since I've had anything published but I still have things I'm working on.
I really do think you're a good writer and could easily get something published.
One of my other questions for Ask Julie Day is about college.
We want to know what you majored in and if you went to BYU, too. Did you want to write when you were in school?
All of us are highly interested in your life and everything you're doing, and could go into overdrive with questions.
We're having a great time learning about you and your family and I was laughing that you and your Mom were laughing at us discovering that you're not as shy as we thought you were.
I'm back because I just read Erin's comments and those made me laugh, too.
We always loved Jeffrey, Julie and Valerie. I remember all of you as babies, and being excited to see you when you came over.
And I love that my kids are the same age as Kelly, Kristen and Steven.
I loved reading and seeing that you are all such good friends and good brothers and sisters.
We're dying to know all about everyone, and think Erin said it perfectly singing that song,
"Getting to Know You."
It's so funny she wrote that about
you being protected by your shyness. You can tell we're sisters because we think alike, and I came away from your blog a few days ago thinking, maybe I should have been shyer growing up. It probably woulnd't have hurt.
Believe it or not, we've gotten shyer as we've gotten older, but we're not a bit shy when we're all together.
Julie,
I just have to set the record straight. I never ever thought you were never boring or personality-less. I was onto you. All of you were always so so funny. I'll grant you that it took a little while to warm up, but I always thought that you and your siblings were so funny and interesting.
I can still remember going to that old Downey McDonald's with your family and trying to wrap my mind around how funny I thought you all were. I could barely keep up.
I have enjoyed your blog, too. I sweaar our lives and thoughts are often in sync. (from horrible doctor visits, tantrums, messes, mission reflections, having children, toys, living the gospel....)
Anyway, You are a talented writer and it is so fun getting to know you better-and your siblings and children, too via you.
We all have our own kinds of shy. I say I'm shy all the time, and I really am in my own way. You are so open and sharing on your blog--I love it.
Oh holy long comment.
So to sum up...I am happy to reconnect and hear about your life experiences and such....keep the good stuff coming! And give your kids a hug (they are really so cute.).
I'm eagerly awaiting the next Renouf T-shirt.
Happy almost Birthday!
Heidi
ps...thank you for saying such nice things. Sometimes in the thick of raising kids, I hardly remember that girl! :)
I'm not family either, but I loved this post, and it seriously makes me want to find out if any of my cousins are blogging. I have like fifty, so chances seem good. Hmmm...
Anyway, I forgot to mention that I did not get the Monstropolis thing--please explain.
LeShel, you are always welcome. We'll even print you a t-shirt if you want.
Catherine, thanks for coming out of the shadows. It is more fun when we all get involved in the conversation, even if it does make us look like peeping toms. Thanks for making fun of Valerie (Julie's sister). That really was funny, I guess we should never let her live it down. I will be e-mailing you for that invite.
Erin, I was not too genrous. I actually dumbed down my feelings a bit so as not to frighten you. Ask my mom, or Valerie, I have been praising you for years. We all have. Don't worry about your improv...it was hilarious. I would like an encore. I have not been to Yosemite since before Papa died. We must get back! and I think the funniest thing I have read today was your comment about e-mailing each other from the other room. Ha,Ha!
Leslie, ooh college...there is a post waiting to happen. I did not go to BYU and I am not done with college. I will drudge up the rest of the story some other day. And you are a writer, even if you are on hiatus. I remember the story you wrote about Nonnie for her funeral. It was wonderful. It was moving without being over the top cheesy. I have a problem with over-chessing things. Speaking of Nonnie, she loved us all the same, no doubt. She really did fill us in on all of your lives regulary. We were blessed to see her more because we needed her more. She really stepped up when my parents got divorced and became our anchor through our childhood but closeness is more a matter of the heart than proximity and she was close to all of us.
Heidi, I am glad you saw through my blah exterior and found a spark of personality inside. Do you blog? I would love to hear about our parallel lives. Maybe we were just created from similar stuff, same b-day, same anniversary, same opinions. I would love to hear more about who you are now.
And Katelin...you really didn't get the Monstropolis thing? Have you seen Monsters Inc, where the strongest form of energy is laughter?
Hi cousins, it is me Valerie (Julie's sister), haha! I didn't even think that was odd until Julie pointed it out to me. Unlike Julie, I am not shy and welcome all attention, even in the form of teasing!
I want to look at all of your blogs, but think I need an invite?? My email is lukievsmom@yahoo.com. I would love to hear what you are all up to. You guys have always been so nice and all have great qualities that I always looked up to!
I've been watching all this blog interaction going on wanting desperately to join in but I have this little baby who loves to upset my blogging ambitions. So I’m sorry I've been only an observer up until now.
Your post was so kind today to your many cousins. It was fun to think about being young and the fun times I had with you guys.
I have great memories of hanging out with you and Valerie. We really did get be buddies. I think my favorites are the trips to St.George and Yosemite. I remember laughing....I can't remember what about but I remember laughing. Actually one of the things I remember laughing about was Valerie picking up cactus on a hike in St.George. That one can still make me laugh.
Your blog has been so enjoyable to read. I was so glad I've been able to see what you and your group have been up to. Your children are so cute.
I agree with everyone else about how fun it has been to get to know you better through your blog. Your humor and your insight come across so well in your writing. So now you can add one more cousin to the list of faithful followers. I may not get to comment as much as I would like but I am here. Thanks for sponsoring a Blogging Family Reunion! It's been fun but I don’t have to prepare a skit or anything, right?:)
I have a family blog too. You can find it on the Renouf's blog or Leslie's. It's Telles a Story.
Welcome Mary, I found your blog...yay! Now you just need to get blogging so that I can pull up a seat and watch your little family. Your kids are so cute! Bella Kate looks just like you did once. I don't think I heard about #5. My mom usually keeps me up to date but I think she missed that one...Congrats! You are a busy girl, but do find time to join in the roundup from time to time. No skits, I promise.
Great post! I wasn't going to go to my cousin's reunion next week - I always feel like the poor rat cousin - but maybe I ought to swallow my pride and go. There are some really neat people there that I owe it to myself to get to know better.
Buenos Dias and Feliz Cumpleanos! November is a great month in which to be born. (I oughtta know.) What are you plans today? Heidi and I are going for a giant morning jog, then we're going to the temple, and after that I'm not sure but I know that the day will involve a baskin robbins ice cream cake. Sending you big fat birthday greetings!
PS Mom L's comment made me laugh. The poor rat cousin! Ha ha.
Post a Comment