CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

For our friends Justin and Michelle



I have always sworn that I would never tell someone else's story on my blog or request prayers so I hope you will forgive me because I am about to do both.

Sometimes I am deeply affected by other people's stories but I just feel like they are not mine to tell. It is not my place. But Seth has requested that I post about our friend's Justin and Michelle.

Seth and Justin served in the New York, New York South mission together. When they came home they ran into each other again at Discover Card and started hanging out.

Justin is opinionated and headstrong and competitive like me, so naturally we couldn't stand each other. Then he married Michelle. Michelle has a personality very much like Seths. She is laid back and sweet and just generally good for the people around her. I liked Michelle right away, and I liked who she made Justin. So we all became friends.

Justin and Michelle were our first road trip buddies. We road tripped to St. George and another time to Las Vegas. We would just laugh the whole trip away. In Utah we never had very many friends. Seth had lots of friends but he knew most of them for years before I came along so I never really fit in. Justin and Michelle were the first friends we had as a couple.

Then we both started having babies. Justin went off to fight in Iraq and eventually we moved to Wisconsin. Unfortuantely our busy lives and long distances in between caused us to lose contact, but we still talk about Justin and Michelle often.

So a few weeks ago Seth's phone beeped late at night with a text message and I instantly felt sick. Late night phone contact is usually not good news. The message said that Michelle had just come out of surgery and we could read more about it on their blog. I didn't even know they had a blog. I read about the surgery and then read back in previous posts and discovered that Michelle has been battling cancer for the past couple years.

Since then we have been hoping and praying and just keeping Michelle, Justin and their kids in our thoughts continually. The other day when I checked their blog it sounded like things have taken a bad turn and are not looking hopeful at the moment.

I am just in shock. Michelle is this amazing, beautiful woman. She is faithful. She is kind. She adores her kids. She is strong. Her family has had major trials. I won't elaborate because again, it is not my story. But we have watched them go through unthinkable hardship and come out strong and still faithful.

Michelle and Justin are in love. They always have been. When we first got married Seth and I would play the "which 50% of our friends will end up divorced game". I know that is very mean but when everyone is newlyweds it is hard to believe that some of them will not stay together. Anyhow, the point is ...we always said that we were putting our money on Justin and Michelle to sail through to eternity. They have just always been so solid and so good for each other and they have grown stronger through times that tear many couples apart. They are the real thing for sure!

So, when I sit and read Justin's words that he doesn't think Michelle will be here much longer I just can't seem to understand. She has 3 kids (the same ages as my kids) and they need her. She has proved that she is faithful and strong. She is only 28. She is talented and beautiful and we just need to keep people like her around in this world. I just want to scream! I don't get it! I want to fix it. I want this prayer to be answered. I pray for silly insignificant stuff everyday and Heavenly Father grants my desires. I want Michelle to be okay.

But I understand that life doesn't always work that way and Heavenly Father is not my genie in a bottle. I know that He has plans that we don't understand. I know that families are eternal and I am more aware of the reality of that statement today than I have ever been. I know that so many hearts are breaking for what Michelle is going through but so many lives have been strengthened by her faith and endurance.

I am not sure what Seth wanted me to post and I know that this is personal so I hope that no one will be offended or uncomfortable. I just want to publicly share how much I love these people. Also, I know that some of you may know them and they could certainly use your prayers.

The past year has just been hard for me on many levels. Things seem to be going okay for us, but I have watched a lot of other people I love struggle through major, real life stuff. Losing jobs, losing homes, losing children, fighting illness.

"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" (Matchbox 20).

The real world is tough. All that I have witnessed has caused me a lot of pain but also helped me grow closer to a loving Father in Heaven. I am appreciating the days more than I have before. I hate to admit that I used to find myself watching the clock for nap time, Seth coming home from work, and bedtime. Now I am recognizing the days as a gift that ought not be wasted or wished away. Life is short and life is hard, but even through all of it life is beautiful!

I know this is not about me so I hope I don't sound like I am trying to piggy back on someone else's trials. I just wanted Michelle and Justin to know that even after 4 years without contact, I am still learning and growing because of their friendship.

I love you guys and I will ALWAYS pray for you and your babies. I promise you that. It makes my heart soar to hear you profess your unwavering love for the Savior and continued trust in our Father in Heaven.

P.S. My money is still on Michelle and Justin.

9 comments:

Mocktalk said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope the best for her. Honestly, I'm not sure how people would approach these situations without the gospel.

Emily said...

I will keep her and her family in my prayers!

Sarah E. said...

One of those posts that make me feel guilty for being healthy and thinking I have it "bad" with some very minor allergies. 28 is WAYYYYY too young, and 3 kids. Thanks for sharing their story. I will be better today because of it.

The Kindle Family said...

I am sorry about your friends and what may happen. But keep your chin up and pray for a miracle! Sometimes its trials that bring friends back together :)

Team Ryan said...

Wow...so sad! They will def be in our prayers. I cant even imagine. I was sobbing through the entire post- def makes me grateful for what I have!

Thanks Julie for a dear post, it def touched me...a LOT!

Anonymous said...

This is so sad! I will pray for them and keep faith that their situation will get better.

LeShel said...

Life sucks, it really just hurts. We will pray for your dear friends.
A saying that has changed my life is...
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
There are many battles. I pray your friends will have the strength they need to fight their battle. May they have the hope and peace they need to get them through long days and longer nights. May your family have the comfort to know what your role is and may God bless those feeling this so close with sunshine in the rain.

Kari said...

Julie,
Hey, it's Justin. I just finished reading your post about Michelle and I and I don't know if I have ever heard or read something so sincere and so sweet about us. I laughed and cried at the same time, thinking back to all the times that we had with you guys, the road trips and how much you and I hated each other while Seth would always sit and watch us fight and laugh his butt off at how completely similar we were. We miss you guys dearly and rarely more than two or three days go by when we will just be lying in bed and one of us will say, "I miss Seth and Julie".
We miss you guys dearly and have hoped and prayed that something would bring you guys back to Utah. As we are facing this chapter of our lives right now we have come to appreciate now more than ever the plan of salvation and the importance of families. I have no doubt that when all is said and done that we will be with those people that are closest to our hearts, family and friends. I have no doubt that whatever this life brings that one day we can "road trip" again and laugh and remember how much fun we all had together. Remember getting stuck in Cedar in that snowstorm and being "forced" to extend our trip one more day?? Those memories are priceless! I (we) love you both dearly and cannot wait for any opportunity we will all get to see you again.

Tanya said...

I think I cried through the whole post. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It isn't fun.... Especially when you love them so much. Just be there for Justin, he really needs you right now. I will keep them in our prayers. Please keep me posted. What is her blog address?