We are gearing up for the Primary Program next month. My FAVORITE day at church all year, every year. We have been busy outlining the program, assigning parts and gathering testimonies from the children so that the script will be ready for our upcoming practices.
I am so excited!
As I read the parts the kids submitted, some of them make me laugh. Some make me so proud of their pure and simple, yet totally accurate understanding of the gospel. A few of them have even put real tears in my eyes.
Then I see my name on the script, just sitting there like this, Sister Johnson:_____________. There are no words attached because I am not really a scripted kind of person. I will just say whatever I say but as I have contemplated what this year in Primary has meant to me I know that whatever 3 sentence quip I come up with will be entirely insufficient.
I really needed this calling. This year. When I was called, a couple weeks before last year's program it was so chaotic (BIG understatement). I was running full speed ahead for 3 months just to catch up. I have joked that I was given my calling by default. They needed someone right this minute...and I was there right that minute. Now I know that I was positively supposed to be right here. No matter how the call came, it was intended for me from my Heavenly Father.
I really needed these kids this year.
When we found out that our theme for the year was "My Eternal Family", I was slightly disappointed. I felt like it was too specific and wouldn't allow us to delve into very much of the gospel. Oh, how wrong I was! We have covered every basic gospel principle, and not just in the traditional way. We have related everything that we believe to families.
Every single gospel principle strengthens families. Every single one!
As I have done sharing time and activities with the kids I have surely learned more than I have taught. I have finally begun to really comprehend the principle of eternal families. We really can be together forever. I have hoped for it. I have believed it but in front of these kids I finally KNEW it.
At the start of the year I was also skeptical about the 8 songs they gave us for this year's program. I didn't think we had any show stoppers. Now I realize that we have 8 of them. In the immortal words of Randy Jackson, these kids could sing the phonebook dawg! Every single week in singing time I feel the Spirit, usually more than I have at any other time during the week. Sometimes it is when 4 boys step forward and volunteer to sing a quartet. Or when every kid hits every word of My Eternal Family. Or the sweet conviction in their voices when they sing I Lived In Heaven. Or my angelic older girls singing Love is Spoken Here accompanied by my older, super silly, usually too cool for Primary, boys singing like strong future priesthood holders. There is always a moment, every week.
I have needed those moments. I have watched so many families struggle this year with so many different afflictions. We lost one of our own Primary children to an asthma attack. I thought I couldn't bear to go in to the Primary room the next Sunday, but the kids sang out with hope and it strengthened me. We lost our friend Michelle and my heart broke for her family. I have worried about my friend Ryan, and his family, as he battles for his life (Team Ryan had a BIG win yesterday...make sure to check it out). At the end of each week I carry my burdens to Primary, with joy in my heart because I know the singing children will heal my heart.
Many people complain about being "stuck in Primary" for their entire church life. Not me! I have never been stronger in my faith. I have never been happier or closer to my Heavenly Father. I have never been so SURE before.
I LOVE Primary!
I see how strong and faithful these kids are. They stand for something and it makes me less frightened to raise my children. I see hope in their eyes where I had only known fear. I am adopting their hope.
Our homes are sacred. We lived in Heaven. The family is part of Heavenly Father's plan. God loves us. Because He sent a Savior, nothing can take my family from me. After hearing it for 33 years I had to go back to Primary to know.
FAMILIES ARE FOREVER!
If you happen to be in our Primary program next month and hear me quickly babble out a few words so that we can get on with the show, just know that this is what I meant to say.
Second Week of School
3 years ago
9 comments:
i remember when i stood in primary and KNEW the church was true. it was through the songs and the sweet voices singing them that my testimony was strengthened. primary will always be the best place on earth! i can't wait for MY favorite sacrament meeting and to watch the stand filled with saints singing their testimonies.
thanks for your words that so deeply touch my soul.
Well put!! I love being in Primary it has to be one of the best places. I teared up just reading what you wrote about our wonderful boys who when they decide to sing are amazing!!! It is definately the right place to feel the spirit!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Good post. It's really fun getting to know the kids as individuals and seeing that they are all so sweet (when they want to be, even those boys).
I miss Primary!! Before I was in there, I never would have thought I would say that, but I have totally loved my time there as well, and you've expressed why so well! I'll always think of Kenosha Primary when I hear Love is Spoken Here. Thanks for posting this.
PS-Who's singing a quartet?
That's why you are so good at it! Seriously, you are a wonder in there.
I've been trying to get an answer from Abi for the program but I doubt very much she will get up on stage for the program at all let alone say something. We'll try though!
Beautiful testimony! Thanks.
You have been a great Pres. and I know the program will be great also. Good job on all your hard work!
I'm happy you are having such a wonderful experience in primary. As hectic as the practices can be, the program always turns out great. My favorite part of primary--well second to teaching, are the songs. I too always felt the spirit when they sang those inspiring songs. Good luck with your program. Would love to be there to see Alex and Alyssa perform.
Julie that was beautiful.
Post a Comment