Lately I have thought a lot about the friends I have made in Wisconsin, probably because they just keep moving away. As much as I hate saying goodbye, it does give me the chance to step back and really reflect on how much my friends have meant to me.
There have been so many Mary Poppins worthy people here so don't be offended if I don't mention you today. Today I am going to focus on just my first three Wisconsin friends.
We were so lucky when we moved here to quickly find a group of friends with kids the age of our kids and similar interests with both me and Seth. That can be tricky, to get both partners in a marriage matched up and compatible with both partners in another marriage. But it all came so easily when we moved here.
I have had so much fun having friends.
I will tell you about them in the order in which they disappeared.
First, there was Margie. I was a little intimidated by Margie the first time I met her. She dresses so cute and her hair and make-up are perfect. I was just sure we wouldn't relate, but Seth arranged a time for them to come over and we were instant friends. Margie is so easy to talk to. There is never an awkward moment. I never cared if the house was clean or anything. If the Hesses came knocking we let them in and just lounged around, comfortably wrapped in their presence. Margie is one of those amazing people who actually compliments other people. If she thinks you are good at something she tells you and builds you up. She has helped me to believe in myself. She is positive and faithful and strong. I really miss Margie.
Then there was Heather, who I blogged about when she moved. Me and Heather were definitely an unlikely success story. We did have awkward moments. Neither one of us like to call anyone but the more I was around her the more I realized that she was supposed to be my friend. I could tell Heather anything, no matter how silly or bizarre, and she would totally understand, or at least try to. And Heather is so trustworthy. I knew that my friendship was safe with her. All of our kids were the same age and they were together so much that they were like siblings. I loved it. I had visions of both of our families living here forever and our kids being lifelong friends. My heart was certainly broken when Heather left.
Then there was Katelin, who left me just a few short weeks ago. After Heather and Margie left, Katelin stepped up in a big way. We had already been hanging out for a few years but once it was just our two families left she really took me in. Katelin helped me make new friends, like Emily (who moved away too, dang it!) and Jen (who is still here for 2 more years...yay for 2 more years). She made me go places when I didn't want to try to make friends in this crazy transient place anymore. She would tell me what time she would be picking me up for church activities, or girl's night out. She didn't ask because she knew I might make excuses not to go. She just made me get out. We did play group together. We traded kids. They became our go to for weekend planning. I don't think Katelin knows how much I needed her these last 9 months. So just when I am cozy and happy again Jared goes and gets a job 2 hours away. Bummer, but 2 hours isn't bad. We can even still hang out on the weekends. But no! Just before the move to Illinois, Jared goes and gets a better job in Minnesota and two weeks later, they were gone.
Wow, I really miss my friends.
These three women really changed my life. When we took the job out here we wanted to move to Chicago. It is closer to Seth's work and it sounded so much cooler than Wisconsin. But the windy city blew us to Wisconsin. I know we were pulled this way by our Heavenly Father so that we could meet these very people.
And let's be sure to mention their husbands too because they have been amazing friends to Seth and to me as well.
Of course you all know Margie's husband, Ryan right? You are all following Team Ryan I hope. (BIG prayers today for his transplant) I have already told you that Ryan rocks. Just the nicest guy and most loyal, true friend you could ever hope for. When you see Ryan you just feel at ease and happy.
Heather's husband Glenn, who we saw this weekend. Glenn is sarcastic and quick witted. He spends lots of time teasing but he also takes good care of the people around him and really cares about his friends. He took such good care of Seth for me.
And crazy old Jared, the apple throwing, milk gallon chugging, totally unfiltered life of the party. Jared is hilarious. No alcohol required. He is up for anything, anytime.
Those are my friends. Don't they sound awesome? They really are.
I know that Heavenly Father orchestrated these friendships. I don't know for sure why He then sent them all away (did I drive them away?)but I am so grateful that they were here when I needed friends. It is the only time in my life that making friends was effortless.
As I try to make new friends, and struggle, I know that the fact that it came so easily just this once was not by chance. There are lots of people here who I call my friends but I hang out with very few of them in real life, just here in Blogland.
If you want to be my friend I am accepting applications. Must love junk food. Must love to stay up late playing games and laughing, even if that means your kids are sleeping on my floor. Must not have an extreme sensitivity to my obnoxiousness. Can not be too easily offended. I talk a lot and that leads to saying stupid things. I don't censor myself very well either so I will talk about God and faith if that is what is on my mind and I might make a crude semi-irreverent comment 2 minutes later. You never do know what will come out of my mouth. Must understand that I am really quirky and I may be really hard to get a hold of but that doesn't mean that I don't want to hang out with you. If you meet these qualifications, call me.
Oh never mind, I won't answer.
Second Week of School
3 years ago
5 comments:
Hey FRIEND. I hope you're coming to the party on Friday night. NOT because you feel bad for me or think you have to be there but because it will be fun... i hope...
I only met Katelin and Jared but they ROCK! I've heard all about these other great ladies and wish we had made it here sooner so I could've met them.
I LOVE GAMES... I'm thinking October is a girls game night!! I need your help picking a date because you are seriously the life of the party.
Aw, Julie. Thanks for making me sound awesome, I really don't know what to say, except I miss you a LOT and I totally want to be back in Kenosha right now. You were always worth the hassle of calling over and over and I love your quirks! I'm so honored to be counted as one of your friends, and I know we'll always be friends, even if we can't get together as often. But speaking of, I seriously want to come crash at your house in a few weeks (just me and the kids) on our way back from my brother's...you up for it? :o) And then you should come up here for the Time Out for Women--really! I'll call you, and call you, and call you... :o)
You are such a good friend, Julie, to write about the fantastic qualities of your faraway friends. I can definitely ditto the remarks about Katelin. I miss her, too. I wish I could have gotten to know Heather and Margie because you make them sound like such great people to have as friends.
Good friends make all the difference in the world. I'm sure all three of those girls would say the exact same things about you.
I love reading your blog. You do a great job! You make me laugh! Taking applications..... That's cute!
I have to agree with you, these are three very wonderful women, as well as yourself. Each one of you has been apart of my life at sometime or another. Friendships come and go, but the memories will last a life time.
Post a Comment