CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Weigh-in Wednesday: Hair

My hair has been too long for too long. Right now it is actually shorter than it has been in the past couple of years.

I am not particularly attached to long hair. I actually think most people look better with shorter hair. It is just that my hair grows like wildfire and I can't be bothered with keeping up with it. Also, I can't go too short or my volume and frizz combine to make a tumbleweed helmet.

I don't really like my hair this long though. I think it makes my face too long and try as I might I can not seem to get it to want to part anywhere but right down the middle.

You might be thinking, Julie, your hair would be better if you fixed it. What you don't know is that I DO. It takes the help of frizz-ease, 15 gruelling minutes with a comb, and a visit with a Chi flat iron, and then some time wearing a bandanna or beanie hat for extra flattening to get the results that you usually see atop my head. I DO fix my hair, I just don't style it. You should see what it looks like in its natural state.

As you can tell, I don't LOVE my hair, but that has me thinking. I don't think I have EVER met anyone who likes their hair exactly the way it is. Everyone wants more curl, less curl, more body, less body, thicker, thinner or just a totally different color. Surely someone out there got a good head of hair. I walk around coveting other people's hair all the time but I have never heard anyone admit that they like their hair.

If I could design my hair I would probably make it curly, (or straight, anything but my usual frizzy in between). Curly would probably be my first choice. It would be medium in length and thickness. I actually like how thick my hair is now but I would make it less fine and definitely eliminate the frizz factor. My curls would be perfect ringlets, not too tight not too loose. Loose enough that they could still be straightened. As for color, even though I was born blond I think I look better with brown hair. I actually like the color my hair is now... chocolate brown, $10 from two boxes...applied every few months by Seth (insert shudder from my hairstylist friends here). Although if it was natural I would have more shiny subtle reddish highlights that would glisten in the sun.

At least that is how I feel right this moment. If I actually had that hair I would probably wish for chin length straight shiny black hair and the skin to pull it off, or long golden blond super model on the beach waves.

I guess that is the good thing about hair, it is always subject to change. I would definitely get rid of the frizz though.

So tell me, what is your perfect hair?

Or are you "the one" who likes their hair how it is. Go ahead and admit it...we won't stone you for your vanity.

And while you are weighing in...do you like the blog better all stretched out? I have been trying to figure out how to make the text wider since day one and I finally figured it out. I know, I am a little behind the curve. I thought I would love the text to be wider because then my readers wouldn't get carpel tunnel from scrolling 5 miles per post. Only now I think it kind of dwarfs my pictures. I suppose I could make the pictures bigger in the future but I thought I would get your opinion first. Is the text easier to read this way?

Go ahead, weigh in...twice.

13 comments:

bill said...

Julie,

I like the old format better.

Regarding hair: don't complain.

Dad

Unknown said...

Oh dang it. I was just wondering if I sounded like a whiner in this post crying about something as superficial as hair. I didn't mean to complain. I was just trying to comment on how NO ONE likes their hair.

LeShel said...

I'll weigh in my complaints with my hair. I would go thicker and either straight so that I could get out of bed and bush and go or pretty ringlets that cascaded down my shoulders because my hair was thick and long.

My hair looks thick until I grow it out and then it gets stringy. I have good curl but I've always wanted more. I like my hair color so I'd stick with it.

About the blog, i thought you had changed something but i couldn't figure it out until you told me what it was. so do as you please it seems i won't notice

Anonymous said...

I don't mind being the vain one...I love my hair! Ha ha. I get bored and like to change the color and length, but I have always liked it (even with my butch cut circa 1997).

Sometimes I don't like change though...hint hint. Ha ha, I like to old style of blog too!

Seth and Julie said...

Val,

I almost typed that you are the only person I know who likes their hair but since we haven't seen your natural color in 20 years I figured that even you are not fully satisfied. You do have great hair though!

Sally said...

I know of one person that is completely satisfied with her hair and that is it. I don't hate my hair but I sure don't love it either. Right now I would be happy if I just had a little more of it instead of the thin stringy look I was given. As far as your frizz goes, they make some stuff that is pretty much like spray starch for your hair and if you use it when you flat iron it really helps with frizz. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it is made by redkin.

It's a King Thing...You Wouldn't Understand said...

I always want my hair to grow faster and thicker. It doesn't hold a curl either which makes me insane. I can never decide on a color. In High School I went from natural to sun-in orange, to yellow trying to go blonde, to black, to dark purple, back to black with red stripes, back to purple and then finally stopped cutting it short and let it grow out with it's natural color...which started at 18 almost 19 and stayed (growing the length the whole time and not touching it with color) until I got pregnant and "had to" have a change. Then it was bleached. Then I got bored, wanted my brown back, added some in, decided I HATE roots...and now will be trying to return to my natural color without having to chop it all off because it's the easier quicker way of not seeing the root line.

Whew...got through that one. After it's all said and done I don't really care as long as Michael likes it. And then sometimes I don't feel that way. HAHA He mentioned that he wants me to cut it short next. I'm not sure he understands the sacrafice and investment made on growing my slow growing hair this long. This was a 6 year process. I don't know if I'm ready to part with that.

Oh...and I like the old format better too. BUT...I'm weird about change so I could probably grow to like this one just the same. I don't mind carpel tunnel. :)

Heather said...

I have had the same haircut for years, not because I love it, just because I dont know what else to do with it, and I dont want to end up hating it. I like my hair darker, but dont have the determination to keep it that way. It also has this annoying wave to it, so I cant just brush it after the shower and leave it at that. It wont stay curled, its too thin, and whats with the gray already!? Also, everytime I have a baby, or nurse, I lose hair. Since this has happened 5 times now, I ussually have short little hairs that stick up from regrowth. No this was not an attempt at shorter bangs! But whos complaining? It could be worse.

Dont mind the blog layout, but I like smaller print. That would also fix the scrolling problem. But its your blog...do what you may with it...it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks!

Cheryl said...

I used to be one of those that loved their hair. It has always been really fine but I liked the way it looked naturally.. Abi's color and straight and really long. I could get in the shower and then just let it air dry and would look the way I wanted.
Then one day I thought it would be fun to dye it brown. Then blonde. Then really dark brown. Then platinum blonde..... etc and pretty soon it was a little less manageable.
Then I had Abi and since then it is a disaster. I always have to do it or it looks terrible. It still grows fast but when it's long (the way I prefer it) it just takes too long usually and most of the time just ends up in a ponytail anyway because of the humidity or it goes flat or whatever.
So, there you go. By the way, my color is out of a box for 7 bucks too.
I like the format.

Prudy said...

Julie, I've been pouring over your blog and having such a good time. Your kids are adorable, just so cute that I wanna come over and pinch their cheeks. Life looks pretty darn good in Wisconsin. And I bet your hair looks great too. As for hair color from a box, I admit to having the same husband/ hairdresser. Once in a while I make it in for a professional, but not often enough. I guess my idea hair would be sleek and shiny without an work on my part. Oh, and thick of course, and it wouldn't get snarly and it would move like a Disney princess, in one piece like a yard of velvet ribbon.

Katelin said...

Oh, perfect hair--that's a tough one! I definitely am in that boat where I hate mine, although thankful it isn't worse. My ponytails look about like Chloe's. How about this--thick and silky, no frizz, like Emily's (you know she usually let it air dry--argh!), and for color, probably a warm honey/caramel blonde with highlights. Although I actually think it's kind of fun to change colors. But I think you have great hair, too. You'll just have to move back to Utah if the frizz bugs, right? :o) That's one thing I always loved about living out there--not great on my skin, but my hair loved the dryness!

I like the wider text screen--how'd you do it?

Susie said...

I like the old format better. I don't like change. I want long straight hair but I gave up and just let it be curly/wavy, it's more wild that way so it suits me. I like your hair long but of course I think you are beautiful because . . . well because you are.

Jen said...

You have nice hair, straight or wavy/curly. I would like to see you with lighter hair since you claim to have had that shade for all your life until I met you.

My hair doesn't bother me. I tend to have pretty decent hair no matter what style. I definitely don't like my natural color though and feel the highlights adds brightness to my face. I could also stand to have it a little thinner and less frizzy at times. Frizz-Ease is the best invention.