
Today was the day that I dread every year.
Back to School.
I love back to school shopping and I love the fall but for the most part I do not look forward to this day.
Here are my top ten reasons....
10- Making lunches.
I don't know why this one bugs me since I make lunch every day but making school lunch is stressful. It adds one more crazy thing to the chaos of the morning.
9- Fixing Hair.
I was so happy to let Alyssa walk around looking semi-homeless all summer and now I have to drag out the squirt bottle and barrettes again.
8- Kids playing together.
Alyssa is such a big help with Chloe and Alex when she isn't beating them up. They love to play with her, but not with each other, so now I have to remember how to entertain the two of them again.
7- Driving in the cold/snow.
Alyssa rides the bus but I have to drive Alex to preschool. I actually don't mind preschool so much since it is only 9 hours a week but the bundling, carseating and driving are certainly more stressful than porch swinging on a summer morning.
6- Sleep.
I worked all summer to get my kids to sleep in until 8:00 and now that darn alarm clock is ringing at 6:00 again.
5- Schedules.
Everything is schedule free in the summer. We just relaxed, got dressed when we wanted to, ate when we wanted to and roamed around town when we wanted to. There were no start times or pick up times but now the evil scheduled life has returned.
4- Weather.
I love the fall but when school starts it means cold is coming. It never even got hot this year so I am even less ready for it than ever.
3- Stress.
Isn't everything just a little more stressful during the school year? It is for me.
2- Worry.
You know I love to worry. I worry about who my kids are friends with, who their teachers are, who is lurking around the school grounds. Worry, worry, worry!
1- I miss my babies!!!!
I really miss my kids when they are gone. I have threatened to home school several times but Seth will not allow it. Truthfully, I know I wouldn't do a very good job. We would read and write and make art projects but I think Math and Science would go by the wayside. I am also not social enough to get them involved with other kids and extracurricular activities (I bet you are all shocked by that statement).
But speaking of social, guess what I did do today?
I accepted an invite to ice cream with a few other moms after school. We actually went last year on the first day too. We got ice cream and walked down by the lake. Even though it is hard for me to do such a normal, well adjusted thing I really like these friends of Alyssa's and their parents stay really involved with their kids, so I definitely want to encourage them to stay friends. Especially when I hear what she is learning from some of the other kids.
Here are some pics from this morning.





Here we are at the lake after school. This is one of Alyssa's best buddies, Quinn. They were in Kindergarten and 1st grade together so we were disappointed that they were separated this year.

Lauren, Emma, Alyssa and Quinn. Alyssa has been friends with Lauren and Quinn since the first day of Kindergarten and we met Emma today.

Alyssa was so excited to see her buddies again.

Alyssa also loves her new teacher this year so I think she had a great day.
Alex goes back next Thursday so stay tuned because he picked out a really ugly shirt for the first day of school and he will not be swayed. Alyssa is responsible for her first day fashion choices this year too. Didn't she do a good job?
10 comments:
how happy... how sad
first day of school leaves me in a conundrum every year.
I agree with all your reasons, but this will be my first year having to drive to preschool and back 4 times a week. Not really excited about having to get the kids in and out of the car, and not being able to just stay in my pj's and bed hair all day. Alissa looked super cute. Cant wait to see Alex's version of good taste!
Through the whole blog I was thinking about how cute her duds were, she is so stylish(and tiny)!!
I can't wait to see Al's shirt...I hope it's the tie-dyed dino!
Val,
We were laughing last night at these pics because all of Alyssa's friends had their feet on the ground and Alyssa's are dangling 6 feet above the sidewalk. Two of those girls wore the same size shoe as me, and Alyssa is still in her 10 toddler shoes and her size 4/5 outfit.
Oh, Julie, she is just so cute. Great choice of clothes and don't worry about the size. She is just perfect!
Wait, is she in high school now? She looks so old and stylish. But, then when I saw her next to her friends and her feet didn't touch the ground I remembered how small she really is. Still, she does look like a little teenager. I'll send some school clothes soon, just haven't gotten out to shop.
Julie, I must admit I like it when my kids go back to school. It is good for them and less mess and more quiet time for me. Am I being selfish? Maybe it's a man thing - although I hear some women feel that way too.
Jimmie,
I do need a break from my kids, just like everyone else. I'm not a saint. I prefer them to be with me all the time too so that means I get my breaks by staying up WAY too late, after they are safe in bed.
Maybe once all 3 kids are in school I will appreciate the break more but right now the only one I send off is my easiest one. I still have two little mess makers left behind to keep me running.
Alyssa is so cute and stylish!
I have mixed feelings about school starting, too. As much as I want some quiet around the house, it's also sad to have an empty house and see the kids grow up and spend most of the day without you.
What a fun activity for you and Alyssa. I wish I would've met up with some of Annie's classmates' moms.
Post a Comment