CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday Journal Jar

Describe your perfect day.

Seth didn't like this weeks question. It wasn't funny enough so his opinions will not be represented in tonight's episode of Journal Jar.

To me this question is a little tricky. I don't know if there is one perfect day. There are so many days that I have loved and other days...not so much. But, I have learned that those "not so much" days are often the ones I learn the most from. Also, those days are the ones that help me to recognize "perfect" when it does happen.

There are some days that I have had where I can remember consciously thinking, "Today is perfect". One of those days was about a year and a half ago, the first time we went to Wisconsin Dells. We had the best day! Alex and Alyssa got along the whole day (There was no Chloe, although we came home from that trip pregnant with Chloe. TMI? probably, but whatever!) We went and got the cutest "old time photo" taken of the kids. Then we played all day at the indoor water park at our hotel. We laughed so hard. It was one of those times where, even though I was present, I also felt like a spectator and I could see so clearly how blessed I am to have this little family.

When we finally went to our room for the night we were all so exhausted. Before we crashed we turned on the TV for just a minute to see the News and found out about the shooting that day at Virginia Tech. My perfect day was suddenly not so perfect anymore. I remembered that we live in a world with so much chaos and so much pain. Although I grieved that night and in the days to come over this tragedy, I also more fully appreciated our family vacation. We were blessed to have a perfect moment in a very imperfect world.

So, I guess I will accept that there is no perfect day, but without all the difficult times that we go through would we fully appreciate the beautiful experiences we have in life? Would we even notice?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I know what you mean. I have had days like I described but didn't recognize it until after.

I think the kids will always remember that perfect day because they got to spend it with you guys, not because of the VT tragedy. I think you guys are doing a wonderful job.

Seth and Julie said...

I think the perfect day is May 20th. It's not too hot or cold, all you need is a light sweater...

Seth and Julie said...

Apparently that last comment was Seth's answer for this week's question. Thanks Miss Congeniality!

Sally said...

Ha Ha, Josh and I always quote that line from Miss Congeniality. It was actually my first thought when I saw the post. If you really want my long drawn out answer you can read it on Kory's blog.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I like Seth's comment...too funny. Of course, not as funny as having the right amount of hangers when hanging up clothes!