CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 7, 2008

Welcome Wisconsin Winter

I hate the cold! I love Wisconsin but I hate to be cold, and it is crazy cold here. We have 2 months of Spring, which is beautiful. Everything is blooming and turning green and the weather is so mild and pleasant. Then we have 2 months of Summer which is also beautiful. We always have about a week or two where it is really hot and humid but the rest of the Summer is great. Our Summer is followed by 2 months of Fall, my favorite! I love everything about it. The leaves, the apples, the pumpkins, chili, cider...all of it.

And then, we have 6 months of Winter. Yes, our Winter is greedy and it consumes half of the year. If you have never been here there are no words that can adequately describe how cold it gets here. They cancel school because it is too dangerous to go outside and sometimes cars and buses will not start.

So today, I had the day that I have once a year. The "I can't live here for another Winter" day. It has been uncharacteristically warm here the past week. We even had temperatures in the 70's. But today it got cold. Not too bad, but I could just feel something different in the air. It was as if the cold was telling me that it is here to stay now and there is nothing I can do about it. And then to add insult to injury, the wind was beating me in the face as I was trying to load my groceries into my van.

The whole way home I was just bracing myself for 6 months of being uncomfortable. And not just uncomfortable, but trapped. We spend lots of time just stuck in our house in the Winter. Luckily when I got home from the grocery store I was too busy to wallow in my misery anymore.

I brought the kids in and fed them lunch.

I saw that my sister Valerie called while I was out so I called her back.

I nursed Chloe and put her down for nap.

Alex tried to wipe all by himself and I gave him a bath to clean up the mess he left behind.

I got Alyssa off the bus and went to get the treat I got her from the store......but wait.....

I had left all my groceries in the van.

I was going to run back out and get them as soon as I got Chloe and Alex's lunch ready but I got distracted and never got my groceries.

I ran out to the van to see what I could salvage. Everything was perfect and I thought, "I am so glad it was cold today". Oh, the irony!

2 comments:

Team Ryan said...

HOLA! I do have to agree, that is one good thing about the cold, you can leave your groceries in the car and not really have to worry about them. Me on the other hand, I CANNOT do that in summer! I am lucky to get home with ANYTHING frozen, not already half way melted. Ohhh well!

Katelin's family said...

Before I comment on yours julie, I just have to say boo hoo to Margie! :o) Right now I'd so rather be warm, although I don't know how well I'd do with all those too hot days that probably trap them inside. Anyway, that's a funny story, Julie, and I agree--we need to get out of here!