CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A sneak peek and an interview

I thought I ordered Halloween character lollipops for Alex's party. They were not in my order or on my receipt. I was just going to use them for centerpieces so I figured I'd come up with something else. I was thinking I'd make jack-o-lantern cake pops, but cake pops are so high maintenance. While I was searching for cake pops online I came across cute mummy suckers. They were just Oreos dipped in white chocolate and I thought that even I could handle them. While I was at Hobby Lobby getting dipping chocolate I thought that I could probably come up with a few ideas of my own as well, especially if I bought different shaped cookies. So, here is a little sneak peak at my creations.

I made 3 of each, but only ended up using two of each.
Photobucket
I put them in these cute wooden boxes that were marked down from $20, to $2 at Hobby Lobby.
Photobucket
Photobucket
They were actually pretty easy. I had never worked with chocolate before. It took some getting used to so it took 3 1/2 hours (10:00AM-1:30AM), but I had such fun.

And since I will be too busy to get to it tomorrow, I asked Alex a few birthday questions today. Here is what he had to say.

Me: What is your favorite color?
Alex: Green

Me:What is your favorite restaurant?
Alex:I like all of them, like Burger King, McDonalds, Panera and Cracker Barrel.
Me: Do you like one the best?
Alex: Maybe Panera, but I like all of them.

Me:What is your favorite food?
Alex: Macaroni and crepes (not together)

Me: Favorite dessert?
Alex: Chocolate, or a banana

Me: Do you have a favorite kind of chocolate?
Alex: Kit Kat

Me: What did daddy want to name you?
Alex: Jesus (it's true)

Me: What did mommy want to name you?
Alex: Julian (Also true. Julian Seth Johnson...say it fast...sounds like Julie and Seth. How many people can do that with their kids names? We would have called him Ian probably, but my first choice was actually Simon)

Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Alex: A builder, and I want to have babies (at this point Alyssa chimed in with, "but you won't be in the patients chair")
Me: What would you name your kids?
Alex: Simon and what was Valerie going to name her baby before she named her Audrey? Oh yeah, Isabelle. And if I have two more I will pick Valerie and David.

Me: What's your favorite stuffed animal?
Alex: Monkey, but shhhh... (I guess he didn't want the other guys to know)

Me: Where is your favorite place to go on vacation?
Alex: California, because it's fancy

Me: What is your favorite thing to do for fun?
Alex: Waterslides, like Wisconsin Dells

Me: Favorite song?
Alex: Rock a bye baby, twinkle twinkle, and itsy bitsy spider, the ones you sing to me at night. (He will not sleep unless I sing those three songs) And I like Crazy ABC's and the other songs from the car. (we listen to barenaked ladies kids CD-Snack Time in the car, it is awesome...even Seth likes it. Our favorite song is Raisins, we laugh right out loud)

Me: What do you want for your birthday?
Alex: Legos, The Joker Cave, Trio Batcave, a car to ride on, all the stuff that I circled in the Toys R Us catalog, but no video games, I didn't circle those. (I did not coach him to say that, he just doesn't like video games. I believe it was Alyssa who circled those in the catalog...another dilemma for another day)

Me: When is your birthday?
Alex: Tomorrow.
Me: I mean what date?
Alex: October
Me: No, not October (he usually says June)
Alex: Noon?
Me: What month?
Alex: Oh, Obember?
Me: Obember what?
Alex: Uh, 3rd?
Me: No
Alex: 4th?
Me:11th, November 11th

Me: How big were you when you were born?
Alex: I think 1
Me: 1 what?
Alex: I don't know, maybe 0?
Me: You were 7lbs. 10 oz.

Me: What's your favorite nickname?
Alex: The one you call me, Xander.

Alright, this could go on and on so we will wrap for now.
Be back tomorrow with pictures of the big day!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that guy!!I was just saying how I'm glad we named her Audrey, but Al is making me second guess my decision...ha ha! I'm SO flattered that he picked the name Valerie though!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the pops! Those are seriously legitimate...look like something from a magazine cover!!

Catherine said...

I love the birthday interview. I love that he didn't want his other stuffed animals to know that the monkey is his favorite.

Those lollipops are so cute. I'm impressed. I'm dying to know how you did them.

And I love that you're doing a Halloween themed birthday party. Little Paul's birthday is on Monday and I always toy with the idea of doing a Halloween party for him.

Katie and Mark said...

Cute pops! They look delicious. I think "Julian Seth" was pretty neat and very clever! :) Maybe you can coax one of your kids to name their kids it-in honor of you guys. Named after there Grandparent's! :) Sounds like a good idea.

Cheryl said...

Love this. What cute answers! He is so funny.
Those pops are amazing!! They look like fancy catalog ones.

Julie L said...

So creative! Looking forward to the pics from the party! Tell him Happy Birthday from me, okay? He is such a little charmer!

bill said...

Julie,

People would pay for those cookie baskets. Very nice.

Dad

Katelin said...

Seriously cute--the pops and Alex! Happy Bday, Al!

Sally said...

I'm very impressed!

LeShel said...

you should be very careful, you're seriously treading on some crafty creative territory hear with those pops for alex's party.
Love them

Seth and Julie said...

Thanks everyone! Maybe I shoud have posted this separate from the b-day interview. I didn't mean to take away all of Alex's comments about his cute interview. I appreciate all the praise though. Heaven knows I am not very crafty, and I love when I accomplish something worth looking at.

Catherine, I just took different shaped sandwich cookies (oreo Nutter Butter and Nabisco vanilla creme for rectangles) and opened them, added some melted chocolate and stuck the stick in, then closed them again. Once the chocolate set, I dipped them in melting chocolates and then decorated them with other colors of melting chocolate. To decorate, I just heated up a few pieces of chocolate at a time in a sandwich bag (since I don't have fancy cake decorating stuff) and cut the corner and piped on the details. I tried to keep everything chocolate, but the spiders had licorice legs and red hot eyes. I also used red food coloring and a toothpick to make the bloodshot eyes since I didn't have red chocolate. And that was all there was to it. I will probably try it again sometime. I think the possiblities are endless. Definitely do a Halloween b-day for little Paul. So many fun ideas for Halloween. I think I may never use any other theme again.

Jen said...

I have no idea what those pops would taste like, but they are darn cute. Definitely magazine cover worthy! Love the interview you did with Alex. His answers are so sweet and funny.

I'm glad I forced you to get all those cd's at the library and that you found one you actually liked. I told you that most of those are almost intended more for the parents. Unfortunately, my girls are no longer interested in the kids' channel on the XM radio where they play all those fun songs. Maybe Violet will like them one day.

Jen said...

I have no idea what those pops would taste like, but they are darn cute. Definitely magazine cover worthy! Love the interview you did with Alex. His answers are so sweet and funny.

I'm glad I forced you to get all those cd's at the library and that you found one you actually liked. I told you that most of those are almost intended more for the parents. Unfortunately, my girls are no longer interested in the kids' channel on the XM radio where they play all those fun songs. Maybe Violet will like them one day.