CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus Go....Somewhere?

Today I finally did something that has been on my list for a good two years now. I took Alyssa and Alex to a Build and Groan, I mean Grow, workshop at Lowe's. I know Home Depot has them too, but I live closer to Lowe's. They got their little aprons and goggles and set off to work. They followed the instructions and did most everything on their own. Alyssa did start off using the back of the hammer, but once I set that right, she was off and running. Alex was a natural, as I suspected. I was surprised that they were actually using real hammers and nails. I guess I expected it to be way more kid proof and basic. They loved getting to really build something.

I was so impressed with how well they were able to follow the blueprints and work independently. I only helped with the first piece, just to get them started and show them how to line up the pieces properly before nailing.

And this is where the groaning comes in. The one piece I started for them was upside down. Alex tried to tell me, but I told him it didn't matter. It was a flat board and it was the same either way. He tried to show me that the instrcutions said to put it the other way. It looked the same both ways to me and I had already lined up the nail holes, so I told him to just nail it in place. Well of course, he was right and I was wrong. My little bitty mistake ran us into all kinds of trouble down the road. The little nitch that Alex noticed, but I didn't, was to allow the axle to go through the bottom of the bus. Putting it upside down meant,...No WHEELS on the bus. We worked around it the best we could and when we could do no more, I stuffed the buses into my bag and we took off. I felt so bad. They had done such a good job, and now they had no projects to show for it. We got home and the kids sent out an SOS to Seth, by screaming into the basement..."Daddy, we told Mommy she was doing it wrong and we need HELP fixing our buses".

Our little craft turned into an all day, all hands on deck, project. Seth cut and reconstructed and we both got to work with the wood glue. After hours of drying, our school buses finally looked the way they were supposed to look, but we definitely added a few extra bus stops on the way to our destination.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Next time I will either
1- Read the instructions more closely
2-Just back off and let the kids do it themselves. Or...
3- I will stay home on Chloe duty and send Seth will go supervise construction.

I did enjoy the experience, in spite of my issues. The craft, aprons, and goggles are all free. They even got the school bus patch for their aprons on the way out, for completeing the project. Good thing they didn't look in my bag and see the two unfinished stow aways, or they may have taken back those patches. Each new project earns them a new badge for their apron. How cute! I love when places have free stuff for kids to do.

10 comments:

LeShel said...

SUPER fun! I've taken the boys to it before and they loved it. I need to add it back on my list for the younger boys at my house who haven't had a chance yet.

Katie and Mark said...

I am so sad to say that I have never taken my kids to that! :( It looks like we are missing out. Kaden has been begging me to let him nail, paint, hammer..... I have to try it out!

Cheryl said...

I was going to go to that! But it was filled up when I tried to sign up for it. I'm thinking of going to buy the bus kit and do it at home.
I did sign Abi up for the next one in a few weeks. We've been wanting to try it for awhile too.
How funny that we both finally got to it around the same time.

Cheryl said...

Nevermind... we won't be going to the next one since it is at the same time as the primary day. :)

Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, I am glad to hear that you are going to skip it for Primary...sorry about the timing though. The one after that is a super cute firetruck though. It looks similar to the bus we did, so I may go to that one and see if I can redeem myself.

Julie L said...

Ha, ha,ha, ha! Sounds like something I would do. I wish they had those experiences when my guys were little. I've seen Mike do it with his kids and it's great! (I think your ploy to get Seth involved was very ingenious, by the way.)

Katelin said...

I've done that, too. One time Jared and I both went--he was helping John and I was helping, or trying to help, Sara. There were a few things I didn't think needed to be lined up, so her's was a little weird, but luckily she didn't notice. Oh, well, I need to go to one of those again...

Unknown said...

Really, we love those. Need to get back on the bus too!

Anonymous said...

Alex is so smart!! I would have had no clue how to put those together either. I looked into the Lowe's or Home Depot workshops for Luke, but they recommend it for kids five and up.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the heads up on the firetruck Julie! I just signed up for it.