Alex thought this picture was of my baby sister, Kristen
One of the missionaries was from western New York, where he joined the church at 17, and where I eventually served my mission.
As I look at this picture it makes my heart so happy because my mom inquired to know the truth.
Since I served my mission in Joseph Smith's backyard, literally, I was able to focus A LOT on the importance of Joseph Smith's prayer. I fell in love with the song In Quiet Grove while I was there. I had someone sing it at my homecoming. I can listen to it 15 times in a row (ask my kids) and still cry every single time. I can't find it on playlist, but you can check it out here.
I am always so moved by that last line..."because a boy inquired of God, in quiet grove".
Because of a prayer, one question asked and answered, my whole life is forever changed. I love to talk about the first vision and the restoration. I played this song in Primary a few weeks ago with my Joseph Smith sharing time and cried like a baby. I wonder if the kids take bets on whether or not Sister Johnson will cry in sharing time. Probably. I just don't think Mormons always remember what a BIG DEAL the Joseph Smith story is. We hear it over and over and it all seems second nature by now. I used to have guests at the historical sites on my mission tell me they didn't care to hear the first vision because they already knew it. All they cared about was the historical aspects of the sites, like nails and butter churns. Have I ranted about this before? Maybe, but it just gets to me. What happened there is so sacred and so major and we just take it for granted.
Every time I hear that song I am reminded that EVERYTHING we are blessed with as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is because a boy inquired of God.
One time on my mission me and my companions (there were three of us because we were in a singles ward and had to be in threes) sat in the Sacred Grove with an investigator. Right there where Joseph saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. As our conversation progressed, I brought up that song. I said something about how blessed we were and how we wouldn't even be there sharing truth and feeling the Spirit together, save for that prayer uttered by a 14 year old boy.
The young man we were teaching said, "we are also here because a girl inquired of God", and pointed to me and my companions. That really hit me. It doesn't matter whether or not I have seen a vision. I have prayed and received a witness, just like Joseph Smith did. I shared this with my mom, and thanked her for inquiring of God as well. And now as I look at these young missionaries who taught my mom I want to thank them for inquiring of God.
I can't help but wonder if, at 19, they had any idea how far reaching their labors would be. Did they know they would change lives, for generations to come? My life, my kids lives? I wonder.
Because they asked, and shared, one 15 year old girl was baptized. And now her first grand daughter will be baptized, two months from today. My baby.
All over the world, Joseph's prayer has been uttered, and all over the world, answers have come.
And I am so grateful that people have continued to ASK, and to KNOW, and to SHARE.
Thanks Elders Frisby and Fagergren!
16 comments:
Who are those guys???Your Mom is an angel for finding us. No we didn't know how far reaching our labors would extend. Your Mom contacting us is for sure one of those "tender mercies of the Lord."
I, too, am thankful for your mother's commitment to getting baptized because otherwise I would have never have met you. What a sweet story to share with your own children and why they get to be members of the restored church today.
That's so cool. Your mom is so beautiful! I think I see a lot of you in her.
We went to the Sacred Grove last September and it was such a cool thing to be there and think about what happened there. I loved it.
i LOVE reading this positive story. I can't wait to link over to the song. I don't think I've ever heard it.
love the song... chills
This was a great post. I loved seeing the pictures of the missionaries who taught your Mom.
That was so nice of Grandma and Grandpa to go to church with her.
I was wondering what year this was. I guess it must be 1967.
That is great your mom still has contact with these missionaries.
The church is amazing, and it changes lives for so many families, and for generations to come.
Thanks for sharing this on your blog.
This was great.
that is pretty awesome and inspiring!
Oh my gosh! That is my dad Elder Frisby. Stephanie Loveridge is my good friend and told me about this post. I have to send this on to my dad. He has had 6 of his nine children serve a mission and he was a convert himself.
Thank you sharing this- it gave me chills! The gospel is true!
Sharla Frisby Palmer :)
Wow! That is an amazing post. I love the pix, and I love how things can come full circle after one person's important decision. :)
Steve, or Elder Frisby I should say...thanks for stopping by to say hi. I loved reading the e-mails to my mom from you and Elder Fagergren. I was so happy to hear of all that life has blessed you with through the years. And of course, thank you for listening to the answers that came, joining the church and then serving. I am sure our family is just one of many that was changed through your willingness to answer that call.
Jen, it is amazing how much that one decision changes everything. I would know totally different people and probably live in a totally different place, and surely I would not have found Seth because I really doubt I would have ever moved to Utah. I am SO thankful for the missionary work all those years ago, and for the missionaries who found YOU just a few short years ago.
Cheryl, thanks! I think Alyssa will look very much like my mom one day. I noticed it first when she was 4 months old and the resemblance grows stronger all the time.
LeShel, that song ROCKS! I can't get enough of it. I feel selfishly like it is MY song. I am glad you enjoyed it too.
Leslie, I loved seeing that picture of Nonnie and Papa at church with my mom too. One of the elders sent excerpts from his journal during the time that they were teaching my mom. It was awesome to hear how excited they were about The Renoufs coming to church, and having them over. They were so sure that the whole family would join, and while that may not have happened, we do have a good solid handful of Mormon Renoufs running around these days. Now if we could find the misionaries who taught your mom and dad, they may pass out. Your parents have enough posterity to build an entire ward. It is amazing how far and how wide the impact of a missionary is felt.
Sharla, How crazy! I am so excited that you left me a comment. Do you mean to tell me you are friend's with the Stephanie Loveridge in my very own family? Married to my husband's cousin, Bill? That is too weird! It makes me so happy to hear that your dad took that testimony he gained as a young convert and shared it in the field, and then at home where he was able to send forth a whole new generation of missionaries. There is really no telling how many lives his decision to get baptized has ultimately changed. I love when Heavenly Father allows us moments like this where we get a glance at the bigger plan.
I loved your post today. Your mom looks so beautiful and radiant, full of new convert loveliness. It's so fun to see a new pic of Grandma and Grandpa. It would sure make my day if one of my converts contacted me and told me they were able to hang on and add to the fold. I'm always afraid that one of them will turn into a mass murderer/jigolo/drug lord and then point their finger at Hermana Renouf as one of the chief causes. Just teasing...sort of.
We sang that song in church a couple weeks ago and it was actually the first time I had ever heard it. Well I know that I take the Josheph Smith story for granted, so thank you for the great reminder.
Julie,
I read (and love) your blog! Bill's mom told me about it and I am hooked. You are one talented lady!!! When I saw this post and the picture of Elder Frisby I just knew it had to be the dad of my good friend Sharla but first wanted her to make sure I wasn't crazy and tell me it really was. (Have met her dad once or twice and mostly just seen pictures but apparently the man hasn't aged if I can recognize him from his missionary picture!! LUCKY!!) The world is so small!! What a fun connection!
Stephanie (the one in your very own family married to Seth's cousin Bill :)
Are you guys heading out to Utah this month?? Kamryn sees pictures of your kids at Great Grandma's house and always tells me they are her cousins- perhaps they should meet sometime!
Stephanie, I am glad you come visit us here. Have we ever even met in person? I don't think we have, since we moved before you and Bill got married, but I feel like I know you from Julie's blog and I love seeing pictures of your cute little girls, although Julie has warned me that we should not allow Kamryn and Chloe in the same room. Anyhow, thanks for saying hi. I am so glad you recognized Elder Frisby and made the connection. So fun!
Ok, in defense, I really am just teasing when I say we should not allow Kamryn and Chloe to be in the same room. I would love for them to get together! This is a fun story and fun to know the connections. Do you think they're coincidental?
Julie, Coincidence? Definitely not. The longer I am around the more I see that most things are not coincidence? Someone has a hand in all of this...
Post a Comment