CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'll Follow the Sun

The forecast keeps threatening several days of rain. So far it has been an empty threat. Sure it drizzled this morning, but big whoop. That is hardly a threat, rain. You're gonna have to do better than that. Even though the rain has not actually arrived, the threat has had us living outdoors. I am not an outdoors person AT ALL but living here has helped me learn to take the moments when they are presented to me.

Yesterday I even caught myself outdoors laying on the trampoline singing I'll Follow the Sun by the Beatles. That was my first ever favorite song*. I have maybe one handful of memories from when my mom and dad were married and one is of that song. I remember waiting and hoping for it to come on. I remember one time when it did and I was outside, my parents were calling me in frantically to make sure I didn't miss it. Every time I hear that song it still takes me back to that moment.

So here we are, outside playing and singing and trying to catch the sun, for tomorrow may rain.

Monday we spent lots of time on the bike, and the trampoline. I thought putting Alex and Chloe both in the bike trailer was a good idea. That way I could ride faster than I can when I am trying to follow the kids on their bikes. Turns out, dragging 70 pounds of kids in a trailer slows the out of shape mommy down quite a bit. We took one ride this way, and one where Alex rode his own bike. And we jumped ourselves silly. I even took videos but my new computer will not let me transfer videos. It says I need some techy thing and it is over my head so I will just wait for Seth to notice and fix it. We do love Alyssa, but she was at school while the camera was out.
Photobucket
I am surprised Alex is jumping. He is very much like me and prefers to be indoors, and clean! The willow tree that hangs over our tramploine sheds like mad. He will not get on the trampoline unless I sweep it first and then wipe it off with wet paper towels, which I did but the tree sheds so quickly that it was covered again by the time I took some pictures. He reminds me of a little girl I once heard of who would not get out of the car at the park once because there was a used sock in the parking lot. Who was that child again? Mom, do you remember her?
Photobucket
Chloe in flight!
Photobucket
Here is one good argument for leaving at least one patch of dandelions unpicked in your yard.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Tuesday was more of the same, so I mostly left the camera inside but I did have to go back and snap this picture later because it was the view that I saw as I lay on the trampoline with the kids during our jumping break. They all had to lay right on me and this was the view above us. I wanted to remember that moment.
Photobucket


We relished a few minutes of peace and perfection, when what to our wondering ears did we hear?

THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!

The first time the ice cream truck makes its rounds each year, it is MANDATORY to chase it down. Our blissful little trampoline paradise turned in to a loony bin. We all ran different ways. I sent the kids to stop the truck and I ran to find money. The excitement was oozing all over the neighborhood.

This was at 6:30 PM. Due to an unfortunate, Mom forgot to start the crock pot until 2 hours before dinner time delay, we hadn't even eaten yet. So the kids had ice cream for dinner, and dinner at 8PM. I know, mother of the year...as always.

But check out these shots and you will be grateful for my poor parenting.

Photobucket
Alex thought he would steal a taste from Chloe.
Photobucket
If you wanted a bite, why didn't you just ask?
Photobucket
I guess he thought his sisters were both in the sharing mood so he leaned in for a taste of Alyssa's treat.
Photobucket
Apparently she was NOT amused.
Photobucket
I don't like ice cream. I know, hard to believe since I am a junk food junky but I like food I can bite. As luck would have it though, the chocolate truck came by too. Alright, this is actually just a tray full of goodies leftover from a meeting Seth had at work, but doesn't a chocolate truck sound just delightful?
Photobucket

And today when the drizzle cleared we were out again. No camera, but today's project involved Seth building a giant wooden contraption that looks very much like a swing set but is actually a home for our garden. We do not garden. I do not get along with dirt, so we are going to attempt to grow Topsy Turvy strawberries and tomatoes. If you are thinking about investing in a Topsy Turvy, don't be fooled by the bright yellow $12.99 sticker. Once you buy wood to build a home for your plant, dirt, and plants to install, you would be better off just buying a years supply of strawberries at the grocery store.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes though.

Also, since Alyssa was not too heavily featured in today's episode, let me tell you a few funny Alyssa lines while they are still fresh in my head.

Recently our old bishop was picking asparagus and Alyssa asked if it was a vegetable. When he said yes she told him, "Oh I don't eat vegetables". I had to laugh when they told me because you have probably heard me proclaim that I DO NOT eat vegetables.

So then, this Monday while Mike was helping Seth pick up our new freezer (we found one, at last) me and Jen decided to go out to dinner. If the guys won't be home we tend to find excuses not to cook. We were on our way to Culver's and Alyssa asked, "Can I get onion rings instead of french fries?" I agreed. She told me, "I don't like Culver's fries, they have too much potato. I like the ones that are mostly salt." Ha,Ha...mostly salt! I too have distaste for fries and always opt for onion rings. So if you want to feed us veggies, make sure they are heavily breaded and deep fried, because WE don't eat vegetables.

Except for Chloe, the bunny, who requests "leaves" (lettuce) with no dressing.

*Also, now that I have taken this post in a million different directions, can you guess what my current favorite song is? Actually for about the past two or three years, all songs by this artist have been in heavy rotation at my house, and cause great celebration and increased volume whenever they come on in the car. Can you guess? Take a crack at it, and we'll talk favorite songs soon.

12 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

The dandelion pictures melt my heart! I love the amusement and joy the little ones get from the sweet simple things in life.

Your ice cream truck story cracked me up because just last week we were playing in the backyard and heard our first ice cream truck of the season. We ran like chickens with our heads cut off, but I think he (the ice cream truck) must have been speeding because we managed to miss him! :( Next time, I think I will run for the truck while the kids grab the money. :)

As for your favorite song/artist, no clue....We like Fergi or Taylor Swift. Was I super far off?

Cheryl said...

I love that picture of Alex eating Chloe's treat- how she has her tongue stuck out. That's awesome.
Man, I don't think you get a mother of the year award taken away... I think you would be voted best mom by ALL kids! Abi would be the happiest kid in the world if I got ice cream for her at 6:30 (she's usually already in bed by then!) and had dinner at 8. The only night she is usually still awake at 8 is family movie night or if we are all going out somewhere.
I just can't wait for bedtime every day. I wish I was more like you!

LeShel said...

i love the dandelions!! I love your kids and the cute things they do. Can't wait to find out what your favorite songs are.

Susie said...

This is the best kind of parenting of all. Love the face Alyssa. That looks all too familiar (Non, Grandma Susie and your own mom all make that face). Yes, I remember the incident of the dirty sock in the parking lot of Furman Park and the little girl who refused to get out of the car because it was disgusting. There was no reasoning with her. Your favorite song is probably some cheesy country song. You should have stuck to the Beatles, always a classic.

Jen said...

Yeah, the weather predictions have been way off this week. Today is gorgeous and would have been great to get together, but Vi is still sick and has been sleeping most of the day. Poor thing.

Fun pictures. Love the one of Chloe in mid-air. My girls would want to move in with you guys if they found out they could have ice-cream BEFORE dinner.

I have no idea what your favorite music is. My favorites change by the day. I think it may be a little ADD in me, but I have never really had a favorite band or song. I get sick of listening to the same music over and over. I know you like country which is very disappointing to me and put our friendship on the line for a bit. It could be overcome though. I remember hearing Coldplay a couple of times. Am I even close?

Seth and Julie said...

Katie, I don't love Fergie but I do like "Big Girls Don't Cry" and blasted that on the radio this morning on the way to school. Alyssa loves Taylor Swift.

Cheryl, I loved Chloe's dangling tongue coupled with post nap bedhead too. I love when you capture a little bit of real life. Just so you know, ice cream before dinner is rare but since I screwed up dinner I thought why not? I actually envy organized structured people. I can't do schedules, they stress me out. I have to fly by the seat of my pants.

Mom, I do love country...so maybe...but I like all kinds of music so there really is no safe or easy guess on this one.

Jen, poor Violet. I am glad we got together on Tues, it was warmer than today anyway. Your kids can move in anytime. Remember Alex requested that we all live together and have two moms and two dads and a boatload of sisters. I am not sure my parenting methods and Mike's would mesh though. Oh, and Coldplay is Seth's favorite band. I like them too but they are not my current fave. I switch favorites a lot too and I switch genres of music too.

Sally said...

I actually hate the ice cream truck and would like to slash his tires! He pretty much drives the neighborhood year round and my kids beg for ice cream every time. I said yes one time and it cost $2 for a fudge pop. You can buy a whole box for that amount. OK sorry about the ice cream truck rant, but I really don't like him. The pictures are cute though!

Anonymous said...

I like the first ice cream picture where Chloe looks like she is having a conversation with the Dora popsicle!

I never knew that "I'll Follow the Sun" was your favorite as a kid. I have no idea what the one you are currently into is either. Luke has been reminiscing about Christmas lately so we have to hear "Carol of the Bells" a lot.

By the way, that was probably my dirty sock in the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

I will guess two songs just because they are the two that Luke and I have been jamming to in the car lately and it would be crazy if your song matched one of them...

"God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys (Luke calls it the "I love you" song)

"Ain't Nothing Like" by Brad Paisley (he calls this one the "happy" song)

Julie L said...

I just love your blog. One day you have me crying, the next I'm laughing out loud. This was a laughing-out-loud one for sure! I loved the view from the trampoline. Sometimes after I mow the lawn I lay on the ground (because I don't own a trampoline) and look up at the sky, and remember I used to do that as a kid, but not very often as a growing older woman. I love the world that goes on overhead - mostly the birds and the clouds.

Chloe and the dandelion is classic. So is Alyssa's look. I agree with her. Dirty socks I can take, but definitely not someone else licking my ice cream treat!

YES for the chocolate truck!!! As long as it doesn't play an obnoxious song in high decibels that can be heard from the other side of town. I'd be okay with "The Candy Man" song, though. Don't you think that would work?

As for your song? No clue. But that's okay. I am modern music dyslexic. But now that I suggested it, I think The Candy Man's going to be going through MY brain all day....

Seth and Julie said...

Sally, I sent my kids out with a $5 bill and had to run in the house again when I found that it was $3 per ice cream bar. But luckily we don't see the ice cream truck very often and I remember how much fun it was when I was a kid.

Val, that was when I was 5, I barely remember it myself. It probably was your sock...I don't know how we were/are so much alike and so different at the same time. We have to find that picture with the Miss Piggy jammies and the messy hair underwear kid...it describes us so perfectly. Also, i haven't even heard that new BP song but now I have had "God only knows" in my head all morning. Love that song, reminds me of "Love Actually".

Julie, if I ever move back to Utah we can team up and start a candy store on wheels. Yum!

Anonymous said...

The BP song isn't new, it's from Mud on the Tires. You should look it up, all about life's simple pleasures.

Are you gonna tell the song?