This week the project was finding subs for Nursery, Primary, Sharing Time and Music so that we could have our teacher appreciation meeting during church today. Sometimes it is hard to find one sub, so finding a whole new Primary staff proved to be quite a feat. One that was eventually accomplished by 3 of us stalking everyone in the entire congregation all week long, and then scrambling around to get subs for our subs when some of them called in sick this morning. But we made it...phew! And thanks to all those who filled in.
Then I had to get to work on my part of the meeting. I always take the fun part and do teacher appreciation gifts, because I am greedy and that is that part I love best.
Recently, my friend Katelin posted about some gifts she made for the Young Women she serves. She used Chinese take out cartons and attached a fortune cookie and a message that said, "we are fortunate to be your teachers", or something like that. I was already planning to use take-out containers because I think they are the cutest little trend around right now. When I saw her brilliant idea to add that cute little saying, and cookies, I knew I had to copy it. Of course I can't do anything unless I put a little bit of my own spin on it, so I decided to make the fortune cookies myself so that I could put the message inside the cookie.
So. Much. Fun.
They take all day long but they are a blast and my new favorite trick. I can promise you that my kids' school teachers will be getting a very similar gift at the end of the school year.
Thanks for a fabulous idea Katelin!
Here's how it all came together.
I used the mini take-out boxes because they are smaller and therefore easier to fill, and cheaper.
I learned lots of fun tricks through trial and error. Most fortune cookie recipes said to fold the cookies and put them in muffin tins to hold their shape. I found that egg cartons worked better because the cookies were packed in tighter. In the muffin cups they started to open up a little bit. BUT...I discovered something even cooler. My "perfect brownie" pan, which I almost threw away because I know how to cut brownies...turned out to be, well, perfect. I am now calling it my fortune cookie pan. After the cookies were done I also put them back in the oven in my fortune cookie pan and turned off the oven and let them dry out as the oven cooled. Otherwise, homemade fortune cookies are softer than store bought ones and I wanted them to snap open, not bend open. It worked perfectly, thank goodness, so that I didn't have to start all over.
I don't have step by steps of the cookie making process because you have to be finger burningly quick or the cookies will crack, or refuse to fold altogether. Here is a look at what the fortune looked like. Of course I carelessly photographed a cracked one. Oops!
Give it a try. You'll love it.
I had issues with most recipes I tried, so I took the one that worked the best and modified it until it worked for me.
I also learned lots of tricks along the way, through trial and error, and now that I am getting the hang of it I will be putting these in school lunches. My kids have been asking for them all day. I will be using them to hide clues for treasure hunts. I will be making them over and over and over until everyone is sick of looking at them.
I had issues with most recipes I tried, so I took the one that worked the best and modified it until it worked for me.
I also learned lots of tricks along the way, through trial and error, and now that I am getting the hang of it I will be putting these in school lunches. My kids have been asking for them all day. I will be using them to hide clues for treasure hunts. I will be making them over and over and over until everyone is sick of looking at them.
8 comments:
Those cookies look SO perfect! We made homemade fortune cookies with my class when we were talking about China, but they looked nowhere near that good.
What a cute idea! I've never even seen a recipe for fortune cookies, much less been brave enough to try them. I am so very impressed. Your teachers are definitely the "Fortunate" ones!
About the extent I get to on handouts is a nylon net filled with Hershey's hugs. Used that for my last week's lesson (I was subbing) on the Holy Ghost with a tag that said, "Have you had your HUG from Heaven today? -Stay worthy always to receive the Holy Ghost."
Those are adorable! I don't know if I have the patience for fortune cookies. I have pulled out fortunes from pre made cookies and crammed a new one in with tweezers. Can you post your recipe with modifications?
That is so awesome! I agree, you have to post the recipe, because I have never seen one for fortune cookies either. And they do look perfect...watch out Releif Society! (:
So much fun! Love it!
The cookies not only looked perfect, but they were yummy, too. I can tell you put a lot of time and heart into the gifts, so thank you for that. So glad you got thru all the stress of finding subs.
I love the idea of using this for school teachers. My kids are at a completely different school than yours therefore I can steal this, right??
Way to go on finding so many subs.
RS looked empty (is that different than usual) but I knew all the ladies were lucky because they were with the kids. i'm so sad you didn't call me. so it goes.
I will definitely post the recipe and some tips and tricks that I learned along the way.
Erin, I am so annoyed that I didn't think to replace the fortunes in premade cookies, clever, clever. But this was lots of fun.
LeShel, Believe me I wanted to call you but since you are in the RS pres I was pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to leave your post. I am still mad at them for taking you from Primary!
YOU.ROCK. I cannot believe you made your own! SO cool. I'm glad you like the idea, and that would be a super cute teacher kind of gift! LOVE IT!
Post a Comment