CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

So yesterday I talked about SNOW DAYS which I think lots of people have but do you have COLD DAYS where you live? Not just days that are cold, but days where school is cancelled because it is dangerous to be outside? The only thing you can do when the weather is this crappy is brag about it.

Have you ever noticed that people brag more about things they are bad at than things they are good at. It would be prideful of me to tell you all the things I am better at than you. But if I really suck at something it is fair game for bragging. For instance, I am the worst singer EVER. If I can't be the best I might as well brag that I am the worst, right? I don't want to be just kind of bad. I want full ownership and bragging rights as the WORST ever. I guess the same principle applies to weather because I have never heard so many people boast about how bad the Winter is until I moved to Wisconsin.

And for my dad, who always brags that Southern California (yes, you read that right) is freezing and that people come there from all over and say how cold they are when they feel that ocean breeze, I am willing to bet that the entire State of Wisconsin would run in bikinis through your ocean breeze right about now. So back off and let me have bragging rights on this one, okay?

So, here is what a cold day looks like...although we have now hit our high for the day of -8, feels like -28. Does anyone else find it a little bit amusing that the forecast says sunny? Who cares? They might as well just put SORRY.


And I don't even want to know how much this is costing me...


And, thanks to all those who put me way up on a pedestal yesterday because of all my snow day fun. I was loving the view from way up there but unfortunately my feet came colliding with Earth again this morning. I woke up in LOTS of pain because of my heroic effort to shovel my driveway. Luckily my kids were feeling quite content to be lazy today because supermom was out of commission.

Alyssa spent most of the day just watching movies, playing Webkinz and reading under the electric blanket. She is definitely our easiest because she loves to play independently.

Alex played with Alyssa's dollhouse for hours. He took all the furniture out and replaced it with furniture he fashioned out of building blocks and then he moved all the Barbies out for the day so that his Transformers could take over. He also played with his own dollhouse, or as we usually call it, the freezer. He plays with toy penguins in the freezer and he puts them in the ice dispenser and then they slide out into a bath of ice water. Very cute and creative if you ask me.

As for Chloe, she just knocked over everything in her sight just so that she could say "Uh-Oh". Then she would wag her finger and tell herself "NO-NO" and then do it all over again. She also spent lots of time pulling herself up to standing position and letting go of whatever she used to leverage herself for just long enough to raise her hands and say "Ta-Da" and then quickly clutching back on. So cute!

That's all I have for today. Sorry if you were expecting more.

Although since I called my dad out I think I will call my mom and sister, Valerie out too. They mocked me because I said it was risky to wear glasses in public. But I just want to mention that I have also been driving on icy roads all week, oh yeah, and for the past 15 years. Let's see either one of you risk takers do that.

That's what I thought!

11 comments:

bill said...

Julie,

It was 91 degrees here today, but it's a cold 91 degrees.

Take care,

Dad

Sally said...

I hate the cold and the snow and unfortunately we had both today. Our snow didn't stick though which Samm was really upset about.

Anonymous said...

My point excactly...driving on icy roads is dangerous, wearing glasses in public...not exactly life threatening. Ha ha!

I love Al's fridge creation, that is the best. I have to tell Kristen that one!

Seth and Julie said...

Val, I know driving in snow is more dangerous than wearing glasses in public but I am just saying that before you talk a big game and tell someone they aren't brave, make sure you are tough guy!

You know I'm just playing, right? I don't want to start another sibling fight since I know you are already losing sleep over your Twilight war with Kristen.

Team Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Ryan said...

What cute things the kids did today. Too bad you didnt have video or pix of chloe and alex. The freezer/penguin idea-VERY cute and I could just imagine Chloe saying, "uh-oh" and "no no"...TOO cute!

Brittney said...

my fav post yet, all true. I woke up Elsie when I laughed at your sorry sunny day

Sarah E. said...

I think that I'll keep with my original boast that I live in the silliest place ever. With our set 18 planned snow days (Average yearly snowfall, less than 1/2 in) worked into the school calendar and delaying school for, really cold? weather.

Kory Jane said...

Corey and I were actually just thinking about you guys watching the weather today. It has been in the teens here and I complain, but I guess I don't have to complain now. You keep your heat on 71? I am such a tight wade we keep ours between 64 and 65. Yes I know cold, but I just tell everyone to put some socks on and a long sleeve shirt.

Anonymous said...

I never said you weren't brave or that I was tough, that is one claim I have NEVER made (even though I am an exception to your bragging rule because I do brag about good things). I think you misunderstood.

Anyway, I am playing too. And...I won the book war. I finished it last night.

Mocktalk said...

Julie - I love the "sorry" comment - as if to say, "Sorry you chose to live here in Wisconsin". I had to show it to Shelly. Our highs are around the mid thirties - which is actually quite livable. I will take that over CA stupid traffic any day.