CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy 30th Birthday Valerie!

I am guessing that my sister Valerie has checked my blog 5 times already today in search of her birthday blog so I guess I better get to it.

Everyone should have a Valerie. She is funny, and fun, and loud and weird and she just brings so much joy into my life.

It was a great day when she arrived in our quiet little family. Me and my brother Jeff were afraid of everybody and everything so we hid behind our baby sister. As soon as she was old enough to talk she would have to order for us at restaurants or go ask our parents/grandparents whenever we wanted something. She would even sneak sodas from the fridge during nap time and open them for us. Before Val we had to sneak out and drink syrup from the Mrs. Butterworth jar. Me and Jeff would likely not have survived without Valerie.

As you can tell, Valerie is a BOLD person so we did not always get along. They had to turn her crib upside down when she was a baby because she would climb out and attack me at night. But as we got older we also grew closer. We spent our childhood staying up all night chatting, or trading toys and clothes, or pretending we were characters from Beverly Hills Teens (does anyone remember that show?). It was like a never ending sleepover. We still fought occasionally and I usually got my butt kicked.

Then when I went off to college Valerie would come stay with me during Spring break, Thanksgiving, Summer, or whenever we could get our parents to fly her out to Utah. We have not lived in the same State for over 15 years now but she is still my best friend.

There is nothing for your confidence like a healthy dose of Valerie.

Even I don't think I am as funny as Valerie does.

I know I am not as talented as Valerie thinks I am. Whenever I make anything, write anything, plan anything, I can't wait to tell Valerie because she will give me so much more praise than I deserve. I know that sounds so vain to go out and seek a pat on the back but I think most of us are too self- critical, couldn't we all use someone who lifts us up and tells us we are okay?

I also love to have Valerie come stay with us because she raves about everything I cook and even remarks about how clean my floors are.

Valerie also loves to hear about my kids. I tell her all the silly things they do that most people just smile and nod at. Not Val. She laughs hysterically and goes and tells everyone else in our family. She loves and adores my kids almost as much as her own, I think.

Val also compliments me more than anyone else. If I get a haircut it is always the best I have ever looked, according to Valerie.

Valerie makes me believe in me. How awesome is it to have someone who validates you. How blessed I am to have someone who wants me to succeed. I think most people hold back compliments often times because of their own insecurities. Not Val. If you are good at something she will tell you you're THE BEST and even if you are just mediocre she will tell you you're GOOD.

I always feel better when I see Valerie or talk to her. I feel stronger and more able. I know I am not as great as she thinks but I believe she is sincere with her compliments because she is also honest enough to tell me she hates my outdated wardrobe and she teases me relentlessly about, well EVERYTHING.

So you should really all have a Valerie. However, if you know Valerie you will agree that she is absolutely, positively one of a kind and I feel so blessed that I got her.

Happy Birthday!!! Today is your day and since you always build me up I will tell you a few things you are good at. If you know Valerie, make sure you build her up today too.

You are smart and ambitious. (our only college graduate)

You are funny and your laughter and enthusiasm for life are infectious and beautiful.

You are supermom! Luke is the luckiest little man because you were made to be a mommy. He is in for a whole lifetime of silliness, praise, confidence, encouragement and LOVE.

You are creative. I know you always talk up my birthday parties but Luke's Dr. Seuss party was genius. And all the cute ideas you have for teaching are amazing. You were also born to teach.

You are beautiful. Perfect skin, perfect legs that I will envy all my life, perfect hair, just beautiful!

I miss you...please come see me!

Val's family...I know she will HATE that I posted that picture of Dave with a mustache.

More of the Vincents

Val and Dave visiting us when we lived in Utah

Me and Val 5 years ago. We are usually the ones behind the camera so I don't have a recent picture of just the two of us.

Val getting her hair jacked up by Luke, but how cute is Luke?

More of Valerie and her little man

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, best blog ever! Just to verify, I DO love your kids just like my own. This blog made my bday so much better, and YES, I was checking all day for it. Thank you!!!

Kelley Sorenson said...

Wow Julie!! I couldn't resist to leave a comment on Val's birthday blog. I know I'm a sap but it brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautifully expressed and completely true.

Team Ryan said...

Wow... you have a great sister! Happy Birthday to her and LUCKY you!