What one word would I pick? Since I am a word junkie this was not an easy task but I did decide on the word RISK.
Feel free to laugh if you know me.
I am a total play it safe kind of a girl. I still hope to stay that way for the most part. I will not be bungee jumping, sky diving, or heaven forbid, singing karaoke this year. Those things are beyond risky. Those things do not even exist in my world.
I was thinking of risks like, say...opening the door when someone knocks, calling someone to see if they want to hang out. Things that normal people already do but that I find terrifying!
So, why at this juncture in life do I wish to take more risks?
Because there are things I have wanted to do and never been brave enough to try.
I want to get in really good shape but I don't try because I would be so embarrassed if I failed.
I want to start writing again. Not just casual sit down and type something, blog writing but serious brainstorming, proofreading, editing, writing. I have even had a few ideas over the years but I have always been so afraid that I might be rejected or that someone might tell me that I'm not that good.
Last year I wanted to take a cake decorating class but I know that I am not very artistic and I was embarrassed to have to put that on display in front of professionals. It is much easier to just be praised and adored by my little fan club (AKA my sisters).
Before I had Chloe I worked at home doing inbound telephone sales. Although it is not a talent I would have chosen, I seem to be quite good at sales. I thought about branching out and applying to be an Agent Facilitator (someone who helps other agents with sales) but I would have been mortified if they hadn't chosen me so I didn't apply.
I want to go back to college but the idea of being that old lady, technologically challenged "non-trad" student that I used to make fun of when I was in college is way too scary.
You might be thinking right about now, this nut is afraid of everything. Not so! I am not afraid to speak in front of an audience. How funny is that? I have heard that is the number one fear and that most people fear it more than death itself and it is one of the few things I am not afraid of. I am not afraid to cook for people. I am not afraid to plan events. I am not afraid of Sales.
I am not afraid to do things that come easily to me. So I basically just contribute to the world in ways that I know are safe, offering only what I know I will succeed at. But is it really success at all if you do not have to stretch yourself to achieve it?
According to Garth Brooks, "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire." I am not planning to jump head first into the fire this year, but I will possibly stand close enough to at least feel its warmth.
I am not sure what risks I want to take. The moment is past for some of the things I used to be interested in and I am sure there are other potential risks just over the horizon. So I will see what this year brings and when I want to do something but my fear of failure is holding me back, I will at least try. I will probably fail a few times but maybe, even just once, I will succeed. Not because it was easy, but because I took the RISK!

In the Spirit of taking risks, I stepped way out of my comfort zone and took Alex to school in my glasses. Have any of you ever seen me in my glasses? I doubt it! I am so insecure about the way I look in glasses. My contact lens tore and since it was my last pair I have to wait 10 days for a new one. I was going to wear the one good lens and wear one of Seth's in my other eye. Nevermind that his prescription is only half as strong as mine. But I decided to just wear the ugly glasses. Was I self conscious? Oh heck yeah! I don't have the whole "sexy in glasses" thing going for me like Sarah Palin but I did survive.
12 comments:
Oh my gosh... 1st... you look HOT in that picture- with that new haircut and I LOVE The glasses look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I scrolled down and saw the picture and I was so excited to see this Julie I have never seen before. Work it GF!!!!!!! Oh I am loving your word for the new year! I really like the glasses Julie! RISKS...Go get em'!
Julie, All I can say is your AWESOME! Love ya!
Um, yes, adorable picture! And I am so like you in the taking risk department it is kind of scary. I decided a few months ago that I was going to start putting myself out there more and actually the more I do it the easier it gets. So YOU CAN DO IT!
You should definitely pursue the writing idea...and the cake decorating. People aren't as harsh as you think. And the ones who are....screw them.
Those glasses make you look young.
I thought I was the only person afraid of everything that like to talk in front of people. Big group sure, go talk to one person, not going to happen.
Being a missionary was totally easy.
That's a great word. Good luck with it all. I ,also, have no problem giving talks in front of everyone but get so nervous calling someone up on the phone. What's up with that?
I think you look great in your glasses but I hear you..I am hardly ever seen in mine as well.
You look so cute in glasses. The style fits you perfect. At least we aren't back in the 80's with those huge glasses everyone used to wear. I think you should mix it up and wear them more often. You look really cute.
I love the glasses look too! Really, I was so surprised at Thanksgiving to find out that you have worse eyes than I do. I thought your eyes were perfect. I like RISK too. I have been thinking about my "New Years resolution" and have chosen a one word-er too. Strengthen. You get the Cake decorations going and if we all ever live in the same place you can do the cakes and kids parties for the business!
I'm in--I want to get in shape, too. I'll call you!
You look awesome in glasses! I love your word it is perfect. I have been trying to go back to school since Cassie started and she is in second grade. Maybe if we could take that school challenge together it would help us both! Good luck with it all!!!!!
Julie,
Just because you're paranoid.... it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Julie, you look really good in glasses. Take this from someone who has had to wear her glasses for almost a month now because of my sickness. I DO NOT look good in glasses. In fact I wish I looked as good as you do! And I love your word. Awesome. Now I want to think of a word. Please write more. I love reading your thoughts and stuff.
love ya
Emily
Post a Comment