CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 14, 2014

Grandpa Grandpa

Seth's siblings and cousins have been posting lovely tributes on their blogs. I do not want to overstep, because I did not grow up with Grandpa Loveridge, but for the last 15+ years he has let me call him grandpa. Since I lost both of my grandpas before I met him I was so happy to be allowed this honor and so I too would like to say goodbye.

I always thought Grandpa just never talked, but over the years I learned that he just had a very low, very deep voice, but if you sat down right next to him, he would talk and talk and talk, mostly about the war, or Branson, or the temple, or the people who had been in his ward over the years, and he loved to sing an old Pepsi jingle, so once I went online and searched for it so that I could send it to him and I still have his response.

He said...
 Julie - you are a jewel.  Thanks so much. 
Old Grandpa

Grandpa was a good example to me of hard work and of magnifying your calling. He loved the church and he loved to serve in the temple, as often as he could, but he made the most of even his little callings. Seth and I had a good laugh a few weeks ago when he told everyone he needed to get home from the hospital so that he could get the Ward Bulletin ready for Sunday. This was on a Tuesday, and he had far bigger things on his plate, but he loved to serve and he left behind a great example of what it means to serve willingly and cheerfully. Unfortunately Grandpa never did make it back to his earthly home, but I have no doubt that he is now in his heavenly home and that Heavenly Father has plenty for him to do on the other side. I am confident that grandpa is already hard at work.  

 We love you, Grandpa....or as my kiddos call him Grandpa Grandpa. 
 photo 3961ec13-de63-41b8-a5da-abc162cf7847_zpsc56c9f24.jpg
This picture was taken the first time I met Grandma Grandma and Grandpa Grandpa, before Seth and I were married, and even before our missions actually. Looking at the date, I noticed that this was 10 years and one day before Miss Chloe was born. What a busy next decade that turned out to be. And please ignore the coordinating Disney shirts. We were highly cheesy in our younger years, but I will always remember the day that I met these two beautiful people. 
 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the picture and 15 years is MORE than enough time to be a full fledged member of the family!

LeShel said...

Sounds like a great man. Sorry for your loss but also happy for the gain you had for so many years.

Julie L said...

Sorry, Julie, but you are sealed and bona fide Johnson/Loveridge! That photo is adorable! You sent it to Amy, didn't you? Grandpa adored you and Seth. He loved that you lived near enough to share life for a few years before you gave up the desert for the lakes. One thing I am just now discovering about him was that he had a hard time telling people to their face how much he loved them. But he would tell everyone else. And he loved and still loves you and your family. Thanks for this awesome post. I'll share it with Grandma.

Cheryl said...

It is so hard to lose those we love... and so wonderful to have so many beautiful memories of and with them.

Unknown said...

Love your memories of Grandpa. When Seth mentioned the Pepsi song in his memory of Grandpa, it cracked me up. It's funny how he shared that with you but I've never heard it! He was a remarkable man, we miss him so much! Love the picture, even dates Grandma and Grandpa.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Grandpa sounded like a wonderful man, and what a wonderful thing that you felt embraced by him. I'm the same way with Mike's family, and I couldn't even imagine life without them. You offered a very touching tribute, and I'm sure Seth's family will love reading it.