Chloe wanted to go to the American Girl store in Los Angeles, and thank you to the two carloads who uncomplainingly went with us, because it turned out to be a pretty bad idea. The traffic was bonkers and it took us forever to get there. American Girl is located at The Grove which is a super cool outdoor mall, with a trolley running through it and an outdoor Farmer's Market/Food Court and a billion places to shop and eat, but everyone in LA county was there so we had to hold hands and cut a path through the crowd. I am surprised we didn't lose anyone or get hit by the trolley.
We had already given Chloe a birthday gift in WI, but I felt bad that she did not have anything to open from us on her actual birthday. I think I feel guilt for having her at Christmas time, as if it were something I had any control over, and I over compensate so I bought her Caroline pajamas for her and her doll.
We didn't bring Caroline to CA, but as soon as we got home Chloe got herself and her doll dressed up and requested a picture.
After we left The Grove, we battled LA traffic again to eat at Phillipe's. Phillipe's is famous, seriously, you have probably seen it on TV. No one in my family believes this because it is a family favorite, but I had never been there. They were sure I would recognize it when we got there but when I walked in and saw 45 minute lines for a sandwich I was even more sure than before; I had never been there. They make french dip sandwiches, where they dip the bread rather than having you dip the sandwich yourself. I love french dips and after years of hearing people talk about this place I was SO ready. It was good, but I actually don't think it was the best french dip I have ever had. My sister Valerie agreed that the Bicycle Club has the best french dip, or at least it did when we were kids. Haven't been there in years. Glenn was appalled that I had never been there and even more frustrated to learn that I had never had the taquitos on Olvera Street, so even though we were stuffed, we walked over there to give them a whirl. Again, good, but I will always love El Taco's taquitos best.
I didn't take my camera out at lunch but I did snap this shot on my phone so I could send it to Valerie. When Chloe saw the attention Audrey got for being silly, she took a chunk of a napkin and wadded it up and stuffed it up her nose beyond where it could be retrieved.
In the evening we had cupcakes and presents. This poor kid has still never had a real birthday party because every year we are traveling or have family in town on her big day, but I guess that the upside is that she has always had family around to celebrate with her.
Kristen got her a bunch of toys and candy from a old time nostalgic candy store.
A mani-pedi kit from Grandpa Bill
The dress from Frozen and some Legos from Kelly
Kelly also got matching BFF charms for herself and Chloe.
A doll scooter from my mom and Glenn
The kids loved the plastic bubbles from Kristen. I always wanted these when I was a kid, but my mom always said they were toxic. Funny that she was fine with our kids using them. Makes me wonder if when she said they were toxic, what she really meant was messy?
I introduced my kids to Cactus Cooler while we were in town. We loved that when we were kids and I have never seen it in WI. They were big fans.
I had to take a picture of Steven's weird basketball outfit.
But then again, maybe I didn't have any room to call other people's outfits weird that day. This was the day we played the Bears and no one in my family believed I would wear these all day. I did, and it was one of the best games I have ever watched.
And once I again, I feel like that is enough pictures for one post.
5 comments:
I really, really want to be part of your family. My family has zero traditions, we never get together, and my kids have never met most of their first cousins. You guys are so lucky to have such great memories.
Dang, more stuff I missed!! I love that Chloe had to get her matching jammies on for a pic when you got home...she loves the camera. I also noticed that you got some really good pics of Luke at her party because he didn't know you were taking them. I guess it's candids for him from now on.
Looks to me like Chloe really does get parties - maybe not with her friends but definitely with her forever family! That cupcake is bigger than a cake. Wow! And I love the sparkly sprinkles! Fun day!
I've never heard of Phillipe's. If I'm ever traveling three, then I will have to go try it. Sounds yummy, and we all know Mike's fetish for sandwiches.
Happy belated birthday to Chloe! It looks she for everything and more!
So you actually took the green/gold overalls all the way to Cali and actually wrote them...haha.
That green/yellow striped outfit is the bomb! Love that you wore it and love that inspite of Christmas and traveling you pulled off a fabulous birthday for your baby girl! I still have yet to make to to the AG store, my girls would die! one day!
Post a Comment