CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 2, 2012

Ice Princess

This is off topic, but let me throw it out there before I start. I am a really good blog commenter. That does not mean I make really good comments, just that I comment often. I HATE the new please prove you are not a robot word verification screen. I didn't mind typing in one word, but now there are two words and I honestly CAN NOT read them cause they are all wonky. It usually takes me about 3 attempts to get the two words correct. It is annoying! I imagine I am not the only one who thinks so, so I have removed word verification from my comments. You're welcome. Please know that I will still comment either way but I would be so thankful if more of you would get rid of this obnoxious feature as well. Thanks.

Soapbox over.

Today Chloe started ice skating! She rocked it! She didn't even try to hold hands with the teacher or hang on to the wall. She learned to go forward, and backward and to bend and touch her toes and get back up. She only fell once, but she jumped back up before the teacher could even get over to help her.

The older kids did not have school today so as we sat there and watched I could see the slightest hint of envy in Alyssa's eyes. I have been trying to get Alyssa to at least try one sport. She almost signed up for TKD this session but then said she would rather skate and later decided she didn't want to do that either. Whatever, I tried.

So today I asked her if she wished she was in ice skating too and she nodded. I asked her why she didn't tell me sooner. The session started this week so she missed the boat. She told me that she didn't want to ask us to pay for anything else because she plays two instruments. I told her she would not be able to have 3 hobbies full time but that she could try a sport or two and then make some decisions. She looked happy and sad at the same time because she missed registration. I went to the front desk and asked if she could jump in next week and they agreed. She can even make up the one class she has already missed.

So Chloe will skate on Friday mornings and Alyssa will start next Monday afternoon. Of course they don't offer any classes on Tues, Thurs and Fri evenings, during the 6 hours we are already there for TKD. That would be way too convenient.

And of course Alex, who never hesitates to ask for things, asked if he could take class with Alyssa. How about no way buddy! He wants to learn to play hockey which is SCARY and he is already married to TKD for better or for worse. I told him to get his black belt and then we'll think about it. He agreed so that should put it out of his mind for a good few years at least.

For now, here is snow princess number one.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We opted to rent skates for $1 a lesson rather than spending $60 to buy them. It is only a 9 week session so this will work for now and if they stick with it, the RP sometimes has used skates for half off. I am usually grossed out by used stuff but they can't be any grosser than the rentals, right?
Photobucket
There were only 2 kids in Chloe's class. 4 boys and 1 Chloe were signed up but today it was just her and one little boy. There was a teacher and 3 older student helpers so she basically had a private lesson.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I was so excited to finally have an excuse to use my new camera. I decided that since I have the whole 9 week session to get a decent skating shot, I could try some of the manual settings and not worry if I botched up all the shots. However, my camera WOULD NOT let me take any pictures in any of the manual settings. Just a black screen would appear after the snap, no picture captured. What the heck!!! I switched to auto and then tried to figure out what was wrong once I got home. I double checked all my settings and everything was fine but still no pictures in the manual modes. I finally tweaked the brightness and then tweaked it immediately back to the default setting just to see if changing something would help and now it takes pictures? Same settings as earlier today? Camera geeks please help me. Why did that happen?

Anyway, we spent the rest of the kids' day off at The Lorax and now we are home where I am pretty sure I am getting a cold. Ugh!

I will be back with more skate shots on Monday and maybe I will even be able to make some progress with my camera?

10 comments:

Sally said...

Oh my goodness Chloe looks adorable! I hate the new two word verification also, which reminds me, I can't remember if I took that off my blog or not. Anyway, we just let all our kids pick an activity/sport to start at the YMCA and James picked floor hockey, which seemed so silly to me since you can't really progress in that, but it turns out he loves hockey so now I guess we will have to get him into skating lessons so he can play it for real.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I hate the new thing too. It has made it much harder. I almost always have to type a few times before I get it right.
I will take mine off too at least for awhile. Originally I set it because I got a lot of spam but I will try again.
The ice skating pictures are so cute. Chloe is looking so darling and grown up.

Julie L said...

Totally agree with you on the commenter thingy (I know it has a name but cannot for the life of me remember). One word is always easy, but the other one mixed and mingled letters are a HUGE pain. I'll try taking it off mine again. I, too, was getting spam comments and that's why I enabled it to begin with.

That said, look how long Chloe's hair is getting. The young lady is so growing up, and I should not be at all surprised that she takes to skating like a pro! Looking forward to more pictures. Have no clue why your camera did what it did - reminds me of when a computer freezes up and you have to turn it off and then back on again...

Holly said...

I don't like the word verification thing either. I don't see a point for it unless you've had problems with spam etc.

Cute pictures! I'll have to ask Emma about skating. I think she'd enjoy it, but of course, can't do both that and TKD. I think the TKD at 3 times a week is a little much for her, so I don't think that one will stick. If she still wants to do it we might look to put her in at the YMCA once a week. Not as good for learning, but I think she just wants the fun!

Val said...

Yay for Chloe...I love her!!

I am also glad that I don't have to type in the code word to leave comments anymore.

Sarah E. said...

You should have her try swim team. I don't do many sports either, but I love swimming! From, Aspen

Jen said...

Hate the new word verification, too. Glad you removed it. Wish everyone would follow suit.

Yay for the girls for doing skating. I think they will love it. It's a good idea to just rent skates the 1st year to make sure they stick with it. Good luck!

Jonathon said...

I guess that just means you're a robot! :-)