I ended up dropping Chloe off and hustling Alyssa and Alex off to the dentist. A few weeks ago I switched my kids from our family dentist to a pediatric dentist. Our family dentist will not see them until they start Kindergarten and does not fill baby teeth or do any preventative dental/orthodontic work. My pediatrician had suggested that I take Chloe to a pediatric dentist because of her cross bite so that they could start correcting it now and lessen her time in braces later. I don't know if you ever noticed but half of Chloe's bottom teeth used to cross over her top teeth when she smiled. One of the top ones was set so far back that people often asked me if she had lost a tooth or if it was a dead tooth, because the shadow on it made it look brown. Strangely enough, her bite has corrected itself for now, but I still decided to make the move to a pediatric dentist.
On their first visit we learned that they all have major issues! Hooray! The doctor assured me that it is totally genetic and not hygenic, and not to feel bad about it. They have messed up bites, gum issues, crowding, deep grooves, cavities, the works. She suggested that since they inherited their issues that I am probably starting to have a mouth full of crowns, which apparently is what "happens in your 40's". I was offended on two levels, because one, I have no crowns. My teeth are rock stars, these issues come from daddy. And two, I am NOT in my 40's! In spite of this mildly offensive misstep, we still really like this new dentist. They also do orthodontics so they are planning and starting preventative work on the kids now so that hopefully they will not need two rounds of braces. They even think they can maybe keep Alex out of braces altogether, because his bite is pretty good, and his permanent teeth look good in x-rays, but he hasn't lost any teeth yet so we'll see?
Anyway after just one visit we walked away with seven, SEVEN, follow up visits. Chloe had two fillings yesterday. Alex and Alyssa a few a piece today, a few more to come in two weeks. I am very grateful that fillings are white now because I can't see anything when I look in their little mouths. But it is not just fillings for my crew, they are also doing sealants and pulling two of Alyssa's teeth as well. Her 4 permanent teeth on bottom are right on top of each other and one of them is pushed forward so much that the gums don't cover it properly. To provide space and hopefully avoid grafting to the gums (which Seth had) they are yanking teeth. So you can imagine what 7 follow up visits costs....thousands! Thank goodness for Dental Insurance but even my copay will obliterate our flexible spending account this year. But again, thank goodness we opted to have a lot put into the FSA this year.
And I must say that I have never been sufficiently grateful for good teeth. In fact I used to get crazy jealous when my siblings had cavities because they got to miss school for fillings and get a milkshake on the way home, and they would come home laughing and talking about their numb faces, and I wanted in on it so badly. It was also painful for me when all my friends got braces and I had to put unwound paperclips in my mouth to keep from feeling completely out of the loop. My gratitude is a bit tardy, but I am at last very grateful to have good teeth. Now that I've finally said it they'll probably start falling out.
Anyway, after two and a half hours in the waiting room this morning, watching other kids go in and come out ten minutes later with a clean bill of health, I took my poor little numb faced babies back to school and returned to preschool to fetch Chloe. My whole three hours totally spent. I wonder what I'll do on Thursday? I am sure something will come up that needs my attention. I hope so. I have learned that I don't like to be alone. I didn't even like the 10 minutes that I was alone before I had to pick up Chloe today.
If anyone local is looking for a good pediatric dentist, I would highly recommend Dr. Kerber. They work on the kids in a giant playroom, with big screen TV's and lots of toys and games. They go home with balloons and a cute picture with the doc, and toothbrushes, obviously. It is easily the most fun time my kids have ever had at a Doctor's office. Everyone is very friendly and after each visit the doctor sits and chats with you for a few minutes in a meeting room so you never feel rushed or in the way. We are very happy there, but even as nice as it is, I would be very happy if we only had to see them twice a year. Oh well.
Here they are on their first visit last month. Typo on Alyssa's name, but still such a cute idea. These are hanging in the lobby as well.
And here is Chloe after school today. For their first day alone they could bring a bear to keep them company. Chloe spent the morning deciding if she wanted to bring a bear or Chorizo instead. I was shocked when she decided to bring her bear and then even more surprised when we got to school and found Kayleigh walking in with the same bear.
15 comments:
I like our dentist but I may have to check this out.
I always wanted braces too as I watched all of my friends get them. then I became an adult and was thankful for my perfectly straight teeth... just in time for them to start crowding in on each other! I have no idea when it happened but all of a sudden my lower teeth are all crowded and moving in on each others territory. Very annoying.
All you straight-teethed people make me sick! Oh, I'm just giving your a hard time. I know our kids are going to have major dental issues, too, because of the fact that Mike and I both had horrible teeth with lots of orthodontic needs. So far all of my nieces/nephews in both my sister-in-laws' families needed braces, so I expect all my kids will as well. Oh well, it's just a fact of life for some of us. I think your kids are still good-looking even with all their dental issues.
Chloe looks so tiny with her bear. Cute!
Pregnant, pregnant, pregnant...
Kidding of course. I just think it would go along with Julie's Law. I know it's not money, but I just think it would make sense. I guess the other thing that could happen is you could get called to be Relief Society President...ya know, now that you have SO much extra time and you're in your 40's and all! I'm surprised you kept your cool at that moment actually. Haha. For what it's worth, there's no way I would think you're in your 40's. I bet it was just assumed do to the general public having children later and later in life...so there's NO way someone your age could have three kids at their ages. I hope that makes you feel better! I need to post...
Love,
Steph
p.s.
Were you and Val and Jeff able to get anything out to Michael?
Too bad there was no such thing as a pediatric dentist in Green River 30 yr ago, or maybe Seth wouldn't have had so many fillings and be headed for a mouthful of crowns when he turns 40! Can't wait to see those kids!
Dentist is one of those love/hate relationships I think everyone has! Our insurance doesn't cover a ped dentist...I miss the one we had in Boise. But our new dentist is within walking distance--not that I walk there or anything:)
Steph, That would go right along with Julie's law, and if it were even remotely possible I'd be suspicious. I guess stranger things haver happened but it would be a medical miracle so yeah, not gonna happen. Thankfully we just got a new RS pres so I am in the clear. I will get a full time job if I ever hear whispers of RS in my future...ha,ha! I never got Michael's address from you and have been meaning to e-mail and tell my dad. He said that address was changing so let me know where I can reach him. I would love for my kids to be able to send their thanks to their uncle as he serves his country. I am VERY proud of him and of course you are all in my prayers always.
Ann, I am not sure even the best dentists are going to be able to save these little mouths but at least they can do something, right? I knew going in that these kiddos would get his teeth but I have passed plenty of undesirable traits along as well, and yet they manage to be the most adorable little creatures in spite of their parents weaknesses. Luckily we have made it this far without glasses but with two blind parents, we will definitely have three blind mice at some point.
Ann, What I meant to say before I started rambling was that we are so excited to see you next month!
Makinzee, Our old insurance did not cover a pediatric dentist either so we switched insurance. This one is more expensive but since we knew our kids were going to need LOTS of dental attention we decided it was the right move. I am sure there are lots of family dentists that are much better than the two that we had tried here.
It's funny you did this post. All four of my kids have dentist appointments this Thursday at 7:00 in the morning! I'm not sure how I am going to pull it off, but I'll give it a try. So far, we haven't had any major problems. Although last time, they did not that Ryder has an extra tooth in the front that will need to be removed....sigh....Crossing our fingers for an easy check up on Thursday.!
Btw, that looks like an AMAZING office!
We went to Dr.Kerber when we first moved here, but she was not preferred on our insurance, so we stopped going since it was so much more expensive. Is she preferred now? I do like pediatric dentists better, but our family dentist is pretty good with them as well. I have to say I have a strong hatred for paying dental stuff at this point, so I can feel your pain! Good luck with all of that!
Katie, you would love this place. They would take all 4 back together and you wouldn't see them again until they were all done. The exam room has 5 or 6 dental chairs in a semi-circle with a movie going on the big screen and the rest of the room is a huge playroom. My kids went back together and stayed back there until all 3 were done. For fillings and stuff they are in a private room but still have a TV mounted overhead and get to choose a movie. Good luck on Thursday and fingers crossed that no one needs return visits.
Heather, We upgraded our insurance so that we could go to an out of network dentist. It is about $25 more per month which is a bummer, but we really wanted to get them in with her since they have so many issues. The other dentists we tried would not even let me set up an appointment for Chloe because she is not 5.
Jealous of my mouthful of cavities, crowns and root canals...you are nuts! I remember going to Diz after one of my frequent filling sessions and having no feeling in my mouth for half the day.
I am still thinking about your gleaming white teeth. I even put those professional white strips in my cart today, but then ditched them.
Dang it, I was hoping Chorizo would have accompanied Chloe to school...that would be rad!
Sounds like a great dentist for the kids, even if not so great for the Mom. I never did quite figure out what it would be like to be home for a stretch after all the kids started school. You're right. The life of a mother just keeps a woman very very busy!
Maybe I didn't tell you... Cedar had 4 teeth pulled right after Linden was born. He may need more. He's probably like Alyssa, pretty good teeth, just not enough room. We did it so that hopefully we can avoid extensive braces later too. The orthodontist said that it would surely help. I wish our kids had white fillings. Theirs are silver. We could get the white ones but they are a lot more and in baby teeth we decided to wait.
Good luck with the teeth! We get to see them smiling next month!
Sarah, Seth told me to ask for the silver fillings, but if we don't use our FSA we lose it at the end of the year so we might as well get the expensive fillings. We put a lot in to the FSA this year because we thought Alyssa would be going into a first round of braces, but this new dentist is hoping to wait until she is 12. We were also hoping that at the end of the year I could get Lasik if we had anything left in the FSA. Well, with Seth's vertigo, my cut eyeball and dental work for the kids, there was not going to be enough for Lasik, but still a good chunk left sitting there if we got silver fillings so we upgraded. I would rather have my money end up in my kids mouths than give it to the government.
Wow, a busy "day off" And the bad teeth must be a Loveridge thing cause I'm gonna have a mouth full of crowns at 40. In fact, I was in my 20's before I had a dentist visit with no cavities. No being jealous of bad teeth. It so was not worth the numb face.
Post a Comment