CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Have a Beachin' Summer

Would it be cliche to say that I love fall? Yes, of course it would. I have never met anyone who didn't. Fall is mother nature's favorite and she doesn't even try to hide it from the other seasons. I love fall. You love fall. We all love fall.

But....

I also really love Summer!

While I am happy to be back in my hoodie and jeans (AKA: my uniform) I also miss the warmth and I miss the beach. We lived at Six Flags and the beach this Summer. I have showed you North Beach and the beaches in Door County but since we went to the beach about twice a week, I have lots of beach pictures that never made the cut so I thought I'd show you the 3 beaches we frequented right here in our own backyard.

Warning: Many pictures about to drop. If you have had your fill of my beach pictures, run along now.

Beach One: Lake Andrea
This is the little man-made lake at our gym. I would much rather be on the big lake but we did frequent this beach since it is included in our membership and the water is warm. Too crowded and not as pretty as "the lake" but lots of fun if you really want to jump in and swim.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lake Andrea also gets a point for having a snack bar.
Photobucket
Beach Two: Simmons Island (Lake Michigan)
In summers past we have lived here because they have a playground right on the sand but they did a pretty bad job keeping the sand groomed and water clean this year. I do still love the view of the lighthouse though.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Alyssa did end up reading all 7 Harry Poter books this summer in just 6 weeks. Book five took her three of those weeks which I totally understand because I hated book five and almost gave up the series because of it. She did end up going to see the movie with me and then announced in a Sharing Time about watching appropriate shows that she got to watch a PG-13 movie. Ha,ha! My kids throw me under the bus in Primary all the time, but what I know and you may not is that...your kids do it to you too.
Photobucket

Beach Three: Harbor Beach (Lake Michigan)
Along with North Beach this was a favorite this year. It is never crowded, but totally gorgeous. Right near the water there are rocks and shells so water socks are advisable but the water is clean. Usually we had the place to ourselves. Of course the obligatory mostly naked, overly tanned old man was always there but you'll find him everywhere. Other than that it was usually just us or maybe one other family. And when you are done at the beach there is so much to do around the harbor. Have a look.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Alyssa was usually busy collecting shells or looking for broken sea glass.
Photobucket
Skipping rocks
Photobucket
Photobucket
And after the beach, it is time to explore the harbor.
Photobucket
Feed some ducks
Photobucket
Do a little bike riding
Photobucket
Photobucket
Spend some time at the Harbor Park
Photobucket
And take 100 pictures of Alex. He seriously asked to be photographed in about 50 places that day. Here are a few.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
And lastly don't forget to stop at the splash pad. Can you believe all that fun in one destination? I love it.
Photobucket

And that concludes our fabulously relaxing summer. We are having fun apple picking, getting ready to go pick pumpkins, Halloween costumes have been purchased, leaves are changing and my heart loves it all, but there is a part of me that is still....

Wishing I was knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky breeze and it don't seem fair
Only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair?
Sunrise there's a fire in the sky
Never been so happy
Never felt so high
And I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise.
-Zac Brown Band (Knee Deep)

9 comments:

Val said...

I like the pic of Al in the bubble and I have a feeling he came up with that idea!

That picture of Alyssa reading reminds me how much I used to love reading on the beach, but hated holding the book open while on my back (Kindle plug)!

You're right about book five...that is when I stopped reading the series.

Catherine said...

I'm so jealous of all your gorgeous beaches. It looks like your family had a wonderful summer and it sounds like your Fall will be even better.

And I love that you have a "uniform". Leslie used to have one, too and my mom's was always an apron (everywhere we went, everyone always thought mty mom was an employee.) I'm still trying to figure one out for myself. =D

Unknown said...

That is awesome she read all those books. And too funny about PG 13. I'll have to remember what 5 was about and if I had a hard time reading it. I would like time to go back myself and read them!

AND the beach looks so welcoming. You had an awesome summer! No wonder you cried (or tried not too) when the kids started school.

Sarah E. said...

Can we go there when we come to visit?looks awesome!!

Katie and Mark said...

I love all your pictures! Those beaches look beautiful, and I love all of the fun stuff near by. All that fun stuff in one place-PERFECT!

Cheryl said...

You've got some great beach pictures this year. We didn't go to the beach to swim even once this year. Can you believe that?!?
We went by it a few times for walks and to play. This summer seemed to slip away from me before I got to everything on our to do list.

Seth and Julie said...

Val, You know Al came up with all those poses and more.

Catherine, I am cracking up that your mom wore an apron everywhere. I thought you meant at home but no, you meant in public? Now that is committing to your uniform. Love it.

Sarah, We can go there but I am thinking you can leave the swimsuits at home...oh no, wait! We are going to the Dells. Woo Hoo, bring the suits. You guys definitely need to come in summer one of these years. It is the only time of year that our weather is better than yours and we would love to ditch the Jelly Belly tour for the beach!

Cheryl, WHAT! We went tons and I still wish I could have gone more but I agree that this summer was gone before I blinked.

Susie said...

Alyssa, way to go for throwing mom under the bus, she does it to me all the time.

Jen said...

Dang, girl! You are on a roll with the posts lately. Go, you! However, this another post that kind of makes me sad thinking of what we'll be missing each summer. I haven't discovered any "beaches" around here yet. I'm glad you finally got around to using the Lake Andrea beach (even though you would never go with me when I could hook you up with my membership card). I wish we would have gone to that splash park more often that we didn't even learn about until my last summer there.