We haven't weighed in for awhile and I miss the conversations we used to get rolling in the comments. Plus, I am sure you are bored of telling me my kids are cute and that summer in Wisconsin looks fun. So let's go back for a moment to the picture free, overly wordy, who-really-cares-what-Julie's-opinions-are, posts.
You know I don't like schedules. No need to go on and on. I will say that just because you don't operate on a schedule, does not mean you are lazy. I work best on my own terms, on my own time. Just so that's clear.
And you probably know that I do not like to wake up early. Some people think I just don't need any sleep. I do, but I can't go to bed early, and I have to get up and get my kids to school so I can't sleep in. I am in a bit of a catch 22 and the result is...no sleep. In the summer, when no deadlines or start times are intruding on my dreams, I sleep more. I still go to bed at my preferred hour (about 3:00) but I get up at 8 or 9, when Alex and Alyssa wake me up. I have them going to bed later too to ensure that everyone sleeps in. If they happen to wake up earlier, I get up, so don't report me for negligence.
This difference of opinion does have me thinking about sleep though. Who decided that it was only appropriate to sleep during specified hours? Who decided what was too late? Was it that whole early to bed, early to rise racket Benjamin Franklin started? I feel healthier, happier and more rested when I am able to stay up late. That is the absolute truth. Take that Ben.
So what's the problem?
And.... if I do have a problem then why doesn't someone stage an intervention with those wild eyed early risers. I have friends who get up at 4:00 to have some time to read, exercise, and prep for the day, before the kids get up. That is fine for them. Do what you like, but to me THAT sounds as unhealthy and unnatural as staying up until 3:00 does to everyone else. I choose to have my alone time to read, think (notice I didn't say exercise), and prep for the day, late rather than early. And if you think about it, if I am crazy for staying up until 4:00, then you can't be any more sane for waking up at that time.
And another thing about sleep that I must ask, because it drives me nuts...is...Do you hit snooze when your alarm goes off? I hate snooze. I had roommates in college who would set their alarm for two hours before they had to get up so they could hit snooze. Totally ruined my sleep. Seth hits it once or twice some days, and I can live with that, but I don't love it. I personally get out of bed, walk across the room to the alarm to turn it off and do not ever get back in my bed, no matter how early it is. Bet you didn't see that coming. I bet I seem like I would be a snoozer, but I think it is the worst invention ever. I would much rather have quality sleep and then get up when I need to get up, than to have my rest constantly impeded by the alarm clock. It is bad enough hearing it once. Please don't let it take over my whole morning.
Try to convert me if you'd like, but I promise it won't work. I am too joyfully submerged in the lazy days of summer right now to hear a single word of your argument. Nothing makes me happier than having my kids climb in my bed to wake me up. They fight over who got the most morning cuddle time with mommy, so everyone takes a second turn cuddling before we start our day. Heaven! If only I could hit snooze on that.
Alright, your turn.
12 comments:
Good one.
First- I am so with you on the snooze button. Doug uses it a few times and it wakes me up too and I'll get back to sleep and then it will go off again and wake me up again, etc. Annoying.
Next up. I hate sleep for myself. I love it for my kids.
I think I'm a pretty good mom but my mom button really shuts off at night. I just want to chill. So, I like my kids going to bed early. Plus, with Abi she has always been an early riser no matter when she goes to sleep so the earlier bedtime the better.
I HAVE to have a schedule. I would drive you nuts. I hate to not have plans and not know what I'm doing. I can be spontaneous if it is something fun. Like if Doug came home and said, "We're going on vacation" I would happily pack our bags and head out making a plan as I go. But in every day life (and on vacation once I get there although it will be different than our home schedule) I have to have a schedule.
So, a sleep schedule for my kids is a must. Maddy goes down around 6/6:30. Abi has to go to bed at 7. She doesn't always go right to sleep and she is allowed to stay in her room looking at books or playing quietly for about an hour. But, I would never say that is right for everyone. It is right for us. It is what keeps me sane.
But then for myself I hate to sleep. I lie in bed thinking of all the things I could be doing rather than just sleeping even though I need sleep. So, I usually go to sleep around 11-1 and wake up around 5:30. I am an early riser but only because I can't sleep in.
I also cannot nap. Except when I'm pregnant. If I take a nap I wake up the grumpiest person in the world. (Abi stopped napping at 1)
But Doug on the other hand could sleep all day.
I guess I'm Seth in that equation except with an opposite view point. I wish Doug would sleep less.
But now back to you and your sleep patterns. I don't think anyone can tell you what is right for you when it comes to sleep. It seems like your sleep patterns have been the same for most of your life and why go to sleep early if it's not what your body naturally does.
Nobody is the same and so it makes sense that our bodies don't need or adhere to the same things. I say stick to what works for you and as long as you are taking care of your responsiblities and children then there is nothing wrong with it.
There is my two cents.
Holy cow. I didn't realize how long that was until it popped up as saved. That was way more than two cents. Sorry.
You already know my thoughts on this since we just talked about it yesterday, but I will say my whole life I've been pretty much like you.
I was always a night owl even as far back as a baby/toddler. My mom said I would wake up at 2-3 a.m. when I was a baby and just want to play. Drove her nuts. My grandma said when I would visit her she would catch me up playing in the middle of the night (and just let me be) as far back as she could remember. During my school years (especially h.s.) I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning and would always manage to get to school on time and get the A's my parents demanded. The summers were a different story, much like yours now with lots of sleeping in.
When I was pregnant with Annie and Mike was away for training my day totally shifted to staying up until 3-4 a.m. and getting up no earlier than 10 a.m. However, Mike is an early riser and sleeper and gets very angry that I don't also adhere to a similar schedule. Sometimes if I get to bed past 1 or 2 a.m., Mike will wake up when I'm getting into bed and actually (instinctually?!?) check his phone clock, let out a big sigh, and then remember to nag me about it the next morning.
I would ignore Mike's wishes to get me on a "normal" schedule, but now that I've got 3 extra early risers it's been nearly impossible to keep up with my wild, night owl ways. Like Cheryl's kids, no matter how late my girls go to bed they still wake up no later than 7 a.m. (very rarely I get lucky with risers after 8 a.m.). I really tried to continue to stay up late (that's when I get creative and can get SOOOO much stuff done without interruptions from ANYONE even a husband), but my old, sagging body just won't let me do it anymore. Now if I stay up late too many nights in a row, then I really drag throughout the day, am super cranky, and even think I get sick more often.
So presently I try to get to bed no later than 11:30-12 (I know that's still late for some people even Mike, but it's the best I can do) and get up around 6:15 a.m. so I can exercise before the kids are up. Then I try to get everyone ready to go to the gym by 7:45 a.m. to do my cardio part of the workout (I'm currently on a kick to get my body back to pre-baby shape, man it's hard and very slow work). That way I'm home by 9:15 a.m. and feel like I've still got the whole day with energy to get stuff done.
As much as I've fought this "normal" lifestyle my whole existence I do think it's been good for me. I'm not saying what works for me would work for everyone because I do think we are each engineered differently. I do still crave my late-night creative sessions, but I've had to move on and accept that. Now with all that said I honestly don't know what my lifestyle would be if I was luck like Julie to have kids that would sleep in past 9 (I'm shaking my fist at you, Julie). Oh, how I envy those parents with kids who sleep in:|
Cheryl, I know you are not a big sleeper either but I always gag a little when I read your posts about how your kids get up at 5:30. You say your mommy button goes off at night and I guess mine doesn't come on until at least 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning. We are both kind of anti-sleep, just on the opposite side of the clock. Don't apologize about the long comment. I love when we all get talking in here, and heaven knows I have left my share of long comments on your blog too. Oh, and I am so glad I am not the only one who is annoyed by the snooze button.
Jen, Maybe Mike is the one behind Seth's earlier hours. I actually understand that he is just trying to help me live a "healthier" lifestyle and he doesn't think I give my body what it needs, but I do. I feel really good. If I felt exhausted, I'd go to bed. I agree about being most creative at night, too. I can't believe you are getting up at 6 in the summer. I remember how jealous I was during the school year because you could sleep until after 7:00 since you guys start school later than us, and now you are getting up early? And as for my late sleepers...they only do it in the summer. Alyssa still gets up early, but she is old enough to handle herself for an hour. I get up when Alex gets up (today he was up at 7:50), and since Chloe is not taking naps most days, she is usually the last one up. But before you get too jealous, remember that I am keeping them up late, too. They go to bed at about 9:30.
Let me just say that the girls (except Vi) are staying up until 9 or 9:30 most nights this summer, and they are still getting up at the butt crack of dawn. Grrr.
BTW, sorry if Mike is cramping your style by influencing Seth. I wish it were the other way around, and Mike would prefer to sleep in. As it stands he's a crazy man getting up most weekdays at 5ish to ride his bike to work to get there by 6:30, but he's also going to bed way too early for my taste (9-10). I'm sure we'll never be on the same page for going to bed/getting up, but we've managed to work it out for over 12 years with only a few fights about it.
Ever since having my and especially since I was sick my schedule has changed. When i was pregnant I was literally asleep at 8:30 (I could be wide awake at 8:29, dead to the world at 8:30) but up at 5:30 to get ready and go to work. Now I am exhausted at 9 but usually don't go to sleep until 11 or 12. Luckily, little Miss has been sleeping until 8 or 8:30 so I have started to set my alarm for 8:15 so she doesn't do to much damage to her room.
I realize I NEED at least 8 hours of sleep now. I know when we have another baby my body will adjust accordingly and will do well. I do like my sleep.
How funny that you are wired on a late schedule and I am on an early one. I can't keep my eyes open past 9:30 at night usually. I get groggy and I am no good to anyone. Of course I set my alarm at 4:30am to go to the gym so that might explain why I am so tired at night. I am pretty sure once you set the alarm and get up at a certain time you body will adjust to what is appropriate for you.
I think some people need more sleep than others. I must need more, because I always fall asleep. I haven't made it New Years Eve in years. As long as you feel good during the day I wouldn't sweat it. But if you can't keep your eyes open, it might be worth a shot to start a sleeping schedule.
Julie,
Regarding this business of not sleeping..... a word of warning; it does catch up to you. I'm always tired now.
Dad
Funny, I just got in trouble this morning for turning off Dave's alarm and not snoozing it (for the 4th time) and making him an hour late.
I love night time and staying up too. I don't stay up as late as you though because I need more sleep than you. I like to go to sleep at like 1:00 and wake up at 9:00 or 9:30. I have Luke trained to sleep in with me, but this new baby could throw a wrench in our lovely schedule!
I am not a morning person...at all! I usually try to stay up as late as I can, but thats nothing compared to you. I like sleep. Keep in mind, I have a couple of those crazy kids that inherited their fathers early riser genes, so Ryan goes to work at 5:30, and the kids wake up between 5:30 and 6. So naturally I have to get up with them. Also, Brylee is still waking up around 3 or 4 and crying a while, keeping me up. Its a never ending battle.
With that said, the latest I can usually stay awake is about 11. After midnight, I turn into a different person, not quite all there and much too giggly. I love to stay up late, but with my kids schedules I just cant do it anymore. I will be more than thrilled when they grow older and dont need me in the morning. I love my time alone at night to do whatever I want without interruption.
As far as the snooze, like I said I hate mornings. I dont use an alarm clock now, but in high school I used to hit the snooze two or three times. I just had a hard time waking up, and if I didnt hit snooze, I probably wouldnt get out of bed the first time. Id just turn it off and fall back to sleep, making me late for school every day. Also, I hate the beeping...I like setting it to go off to music...much less annoying to me! Ryan wakes up before his alarm goes off, or if he doesnt he hits it first time, mid-beep so I dont hear it.
On the good side, Ryan is an early riser and doesnt require much sleep, so if he gets to be home, he gets to get up with the kids! I love those mornings, because that means Ill be more rested to stay up later at night!
I've finally caught up on your blog! How could I have missed your sweet daughters baptism? So sad. So sad. Congrats Alyssa.
Looks like you're having a great summer! ROCK ON! Love summer!
About sleep. I hate it. It's truly a necessary evil for me. When I was more normal I could get by with very little. I ran off a few hours each night and had a ton of energy. I know am working on a half full tank and could seriously fall asleep anytime I sit down! I HATE IT. I seriously wish I could go without any sleep. What a waste of time. I think if you've got a pattern that works for you and you feel healthy you should stick with it. And tell your dear hubby to institute new rules when it isn't summer. How silly to get up early in the summer. Maybe if he paid you like his boss pays him?
Sleep. I have a love/hate relationship with sleep. I have periods of productivity that perfectly coincide with my bouts of insomnia. Then I really miss sleeping. Then I go through periods of being able to sleep, and I miss my productivity. As for my kids, I don't put them to bed till 11 in the summer, 10:30 ish during the school year. They don't get up till 8. It works for us. I like to get up early enough to have at least three hours before they rise. I think this might be the most boring comment in the history of the universe. Sorry! If you want to know any other thrilling thing about us, like what size shoes we wear, or how long we practice the piano, just ask away!:)
Post a Comment