Our first Primary activity for the year was on Saturday.
One Saturday night about a month ago, I was supposed to be planning my Sharing Time for Sunday (yes, I procrastinate). I could not come up with any ideas that I liked but for some reason ideas for our quarterly activities were jumping in to my head with a sense of urgency. I outlined all four quarterly activities, and not until I was drifting to sleep that night did I finally get an idea for the next morning's sharing time.
Anyhow, here is how the first quarterly activity played out. Our new song this year is called I Know that my Savior Loves Me and the chorus says (it should be playing in the background if you have your sound on)
I know He lives
I will follow faithfully
My heart I give to Him
I know that my Savior loves me
We started by singing the song and then broke the chorus in to four activities.
Part One: I know He lives
We decorated the bulletin board with ways we know Jesus lives. This is how it looked on Saturday, but on Sunday it was much cuter when Andra decorated that white strip along the bottom with the pictures and baptismal dates for the kids getting baptized this year.
Part Two: I will follow faithfully (we did this part 4th...you'll see why later)
Part Three: My Heart I give to Him
We decided that this part would be best illustrated by an act of love, or service. We made 3 blankets to donate to the women's and children's shelter. The older kids made a tie blanket and the younger ones just had to slip a piece of fringe through a slit and pull. Everything was precut and even the littlest kids were able to do it.
I usually try to limit pictures of other people's kids but we are sending this one to the Friend magazine, and I wanted to show you what the kids made.
Part Four: I know that my Savior Loves Me
I found these cute picture frames on Clearance at Oriental Trading. I got 60 for $19.95. They are nice and big so even the little kids could easily put one together. Andra made templates for hair and clothing and cut boat loads of foam for the kids to use in their decorating. I think they came out so cute and I hope the kids went home and put pictures in them. These were to remind them that Jesus loves every one of us individually.
Now I'll go back to leaving other people's kids off my blog, but here are my two Primary kids. I am going to put the pics of the rest of the kids on a poster board to display at church. We are hoping that will encourage more people to come next time?
Rewind to Part Two: I will follow faithfully
We sent the kids on a treasure hunt around the church. By following the clues faithfully they were able to find their treasure...cupcakes! 60 cupcakes that took 4 hours to make and decorate and only 26 kids who showed up to eat them. Oh well, that means everyone got two. Hooray! But I do get bummed out that we can't even get 50% of our kids to these activities.
And just as side note that I got excited about. I was wondering how on earth I would get 60 cupcakes safely to the church. I thought about buying them in the plastic containers at Walmart but they would have been $35 for 60. Our budget for the whole activity is $50 and I was already over budget. I knew that making the cupcakes would save lots of money. I asked the guy at the Walmart bakery if I could have 5, one dozen cupcake containers and he consented. I have asked for pizza boxes in the past, and Burger King crowns. Keep your eyes peeled, you never know what people will give you for free.
We had so much fun, or at least I did. We came home and Alyssa made a frame for Chloe, who was carrying around a blank one like a baby doll. She also made one for her doll, Victoria. My kids are begging me to go to Hobby Lobby to get more fleece so they can make blankets for themselves as well. At least two kids enjoyed themselves, so I will count the activity as a success.
Now Chloe carries hers around and even tries to sleep with it. Why, you wonder, is she wearing a coat in the house? Because I wear a coat in the house ALL WINTER LONG, unless I am cleaning. If I am not moving I am always cold in the winter, even with the thermostat at 72. I think my blood is frozen. I have even been known to climb in to bed for a Sunday afternoon nap in my coat. It drives Seth nuts and now his girls are doing the same thing. Did you notice Alyssa wearing a coat throughout the Primary activity?
Now to start on the one for May, which is actually almost completely prepared in my mind already. I am playing off of the only activity that I remember from Primary as a child and I have been tweaking it in my mind for 25 years. I can't wait to finally bring it to life.
12 comments:
That's fun to see Abi in the background. She told me you guys took 'family pictures' but that she was too shy to get in it.
I thought everything you did sounded so cute and so I'm glad I got to see the blankets. Abi said she couldn't do it but I know that was just her doing what she always does... she just gets intimidated when there are a lot of kids around for some reason.
I love the frame. So cute. You are so great at this calling.
That sounds like an AMAZING activity! Your Primary is lucky to have you-
HOORAY!! I am so glad you are back! And with pictures of the kids. Sounds like you had a fantastic activity! So, when we are at The Compound, will you also do the kid activities, as well as cook? Remember, I said I'd take care of the laundry. And keep the heat at 75. It is so fun to see the kids, and we can't wait to get out there in June so we can re-introduce ourselves to them. Thanks for being such a wonderful mom to them.
What a cute activity. I love that new Primary song, and I love that you based your activity on that song. I love those picture frames. Too cute. I feel bad for all those Primary Kids that didn't show up. You did a great job. What a good PP you are!
It was a very cute activity and my kids enjoyed it as well, so there ya go...more success stories! Thanks for all your hard work and thought process'!
the kids had a wonderful time!!
I loved picking them up and only wish I would have stayed to watch it happen.
thanks for all you do... my kids know primary is a place where they fill love.
Thanks for being nice but I really wasn't fishing for compliments. I see all those blogs where people share ideas for sharing times and activities and I always want to jump in and contribute but I feel like it would sound so self assured, and that is something that I am not. I do have lots of fun planning kids events though. I did laugh when our Bishopric rep asked if I had tablecloths...uh, no sir...this is Primary. His wife is the Relief Society pres. I can't run with the big dogs...I am best left where no one cares about doilies and tablecloths.
I have such great memories of my mom coming to life planning primary and scout activities. Man, I wish you could have been at the Book of Mormon Olympics. Vancouver had nothing on Whittier Stake, I'm telling you. I love the new primary song, except I feel like bursting into tears everytime I hear it, which seems to be the theme for every new primary song, since I felt that way about last year's too. Kids plus primary music = waterworks. Anyway, what a worthy cause for going awol. I guess I can part with you quarterly, but that's about it.
I agree, doilies and table cloths just don't work with Primary. Table coverings, however - now that's a different story. But even old newspapers work in that arena.
Julie, these are great ideas. Don't second guess yourself. I'm going to invite our Primary president to take a look. Love the song, too. Thanks for posting that.
Great activity. I forwarded it to Teddie who is our Stake Primary President (for her I think this is a life calling). Maybe she can use this for our entire stake and get about 26 kids total. I know how you feel when the attendance is low. I am doing a class on the value virtue tonight at 4th ward. I planned for 12 girls and we have an amazing craft which cost me a bundle to prepare. I really hope they all come. Loved the pics of the kids.
I think you did a great job and your hard definitely shined through. Not just saying that. The kids really had a lot of fun and love their people frames. Annie still is bugging me to put pictures in them (just haven't had time yet). Thumbs up!
Sara just looked at the picture of your girls and gasped, and said, "Chloe got bigger!" I actually was going to comment on her long hair--too cute!
Love the activity idea, VERY cool. I love the idea sharing, and I don't think it's bragging or anything, and I always love to see what others are doing. Maybe I'll post one idea I just did, although I stole it from LeShel, but anyway...it was pretty cool I thought.
Wish my kids could have come!
Post a Comment