CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finally, A Fund Raiser I Can Use

I mostly avoid fundraisers. I don't need a $10 roll of wrapping paper, or a decorative tin with 7 gummy bears. I assume you don't either. I don't bother people with the garbage fund raisers my kids bring home. I would rather the school just asked everyone for a $20 donation and cut out the middle man.

The only fund raiser I have any enthusiasm for is Girl Scout Cookies. During GSC season, I consume about a box a day and it pretty much gets me through February every year. Give me a fund raiser I can use and I will support your cause. Oh, and I loved World's Finest Chocolate as a kid, although I ate so many more than I ever sold. My mom should have had a hallway at my school named after her for all the World's Finest Chocolate she ended up footing the bill for over the years.

Other than that though, no fund raisers please.

Until now.

Look at this cute thing Alex's teacher handed me when I dropped him off this morning.

Photobucket

Alex's art was made in to a magnet that I can purchase for $5.50. The program is called Art to Remember (arttoremember.com). Along with the magnet and original picture, they sent a whole brochure full of keepsakes I can put his art work on. Mouse pads, pot holders, mugs, all kinds of stuff. And I can send in Alyssa's work too so that she can participate, even though she doesn't go to Alex's school. I think this is the cutest idea. No door to door. No pressuring friends and loved ones. Just a fun way to support the school and have a memento of Alex's time as a student there. I love it. I usually throw away my kids' art work because I am anti-clutter. Sometimes I might scan a favorite or leave it on the fridge awhile, but it all ends up in the trash eventually. I am ordering this cute thing though. What a fun way to preserve a piece of childhood without creating clutter.

I realize I could scan any piece of my kids' artwork and do this myself on photobucket or shutterfly, or anywhere else where pictures are printed but if I have to pick a fund raiser, I think this one is pretty fun. Wouldn't you rather get a cute treasure made by your little munchkin than a mass produced, shrink wrapped piece of garbage?

Now I am off to take Chloe on a wagon ride and later we will be having a pizza play date at the park, but I will be back with St. Patrick's Day pictures, eventually. We are trying to drink in a few days of warm weather, since snow is in the forecast for the weekend.

12 comments:

Emma said...

I love those... I have had all of my kids art made into the quilt block which I then plan to make into a blanket when Cassie is out of grade school.. It just mad me sad to think that after this year I only have 2 more. It is also the last one for Mari. I have ones form the boys so I am sure it will be amazing when it is all done!!!

Mocktalk said...

I am so on board with this. I am with you and am not a fan of school fundraisers. I am pretty sure the company is the one that makes the most money from it. We have just started giving directly to the school after our pathetic tin of cookies.

However, this is also a clever idea. I bet your mom would love one of those magnets.

Cheryl said...

I agree completely! Every year I get that call or email from nephews and nieces about wrapping paper of happenings books.. this is way cooler.

Julie L said...

Definitely, YES, I totally agree. He is really a budding artist! I love the caterpillar.

Jen said...

That is a cute thing to use as a fundraiser. Annie's school does it, but I missed the deadline for this year (we had so many sick kids/sick days or vacation days that it was too hard to keep up on all the dang paperwork).

Cute artwork from Alex:)

P.S. Didn't make it to Target today because Violet wouldn't stop crying and MImi wet her pants. Fun day!

Brittney said...

I hate all fund raiser crap but I love this. I would even use them as gifts. Guess I'll have to join the PTA un a few years to make sure they do it.

Seth and Julie said...

See, everyone likes this better than wrapping paper. Why don't more schools do this? The only thing I wish they'd done differently is to let ALex write his own name and the year. He can write and I would have rather had him sign his own work. Still cute though!

Jen, Good thing I didn't follow you to Target. The bottom kind of fell out of our pizza at the park picnic, between a broken pizza oven, wind gusts at 7 jillion mph, a locked bathroom (poor Mimi) and sleepy Violet. Oh well, we tried...and at least we got free pizza. I guess it's back to the stinky BK play place next week.

Brittney, I actually had the exact same thought when I saw this...I NEED to join the PTA. Alyssa'a school doesn't do this and they need to start.

Oh and Emma, I love the quilt idea. The quilt squares are only $6 to order and how cute will that be when it is all done.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is super cute! I like the quilt idea too.

Leslie said...

This is the best fundraiser I've ever heard about.
I feel the same way as you do about fundraisers, and usually end up paying the bill on all the cookies, and candy bars my kids end up devouring.
As for GSC season, it's one of my favorites. I LOVE to see the cookie stands outside of the markets and get laughed at when I need help loading the cardboard boxes full of boxes of girlscout cookies into my car.
I always buy so many, but every year I wish I had bought more.
The only fundraiser I truly support at my kids schools are the
wrapping paper sales. I love good paper, but the magnet of your own child's art work is the best fundraiser I've ever heard of.
I love the caterpillar. So cute.

Sally said...

You just described exactly how I feel about fundraisers. Samm just brought home this art to remember one also. It's the best one so far, but I still cringed a little just knowing that it was a fundraiser. Habbit, you know.

Heather said...

I am doing the same thing as Emma with the quilt blocks. Someday I might actually get it done even! I agree, this is the best fundraiser, and I also hate all the fundraisers the school puts on. I also love the hand caterpillar...such a cute idea!

Katelin said...

That is awesome! I agree that this is actually a sensible fundraiser. Cool!