CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Julie's Law

There is a theory I have had about my life for many years now. I have tested and tried it over and over again. I have now determined that is has been proven and shall hereafter just be known as Julie's law. Are you ready for it?

Julie's law: If I have extra money for any reason, something will break.

Every single time I have bonus money or birthday money or a tax refund or anything, something breaks and needs to be repaired. It has been the heater, and the washing machine (remember last year when I had to spend the money I'd saved for family photos on a washer?), the 2 month old Pergo floor that got water damage, and had to be replaced. Just this past November I woke up to find a broken microwave oven on the exact day that me and Seth got our birthday money from my mom. No lie. This has honestly been going on for my entire adult life.

Once a roommate pointed it out to me and said she noticed someone watching over me, because I was always blessed to get a check in the mail when times were desperate. It is true. Even little times, like when I left the keys locked in my car with the car running twice in one month on my mission. I used all my allowance for the month on locksmiths, but not to worry, my mother in law sent some needed cash that week, without knowing how desperately I needed it. It bought me lots of bread and peanut butter and sustained me until my funds were replenished. That is one example out of so many.

I am so grateful for this watchful presence in my life, but I am also a spoiled little crybaby once in awhile. I never buy myself anything. Ask my sisters how long I have been wearing the same clothes. My sister Kristen teased me once when I said Alex needed new shoes. She said, "why didn't you just buy him a pair of Docs, he could've worn them for 20 years." Yes, my wardrobe is sad, and old. I splurge on my family sometimes. We go out to eat, or play in Chicago or at the Dells, but I don't ever like to spend money on something just because I WANT it. If I don't need it, I don't get it.

But this year, I was thinking about a new table. I have fantasized about a new table for 5 years, counter height, square, black and cherry wood. But I have a nice big table that was generously handed down to me by my mother in law. It serves its purpose. It is starting to show signs of wear. I am sure you noticed how raggedy that chair looked in the picture I posted the other day? I started thinking about a new table.

We just got our year end bonus, and we got a refund from the extended warranty that we purchased on our car when we bought it 6 years ago. I was thinking I might just dip in to it just for fun. I shopped for tables last night and talked myself in to getting one, and then guilted myself out of it again, over and over.

Then this morning I thought of the microwave that we still haven't replaced. And the Dells trips we already have booked with our friends this Spring, and the garage door that has a rusted out panel and needs to be replaced, and all the other forces that are pulling at my tiny little nest egg. I am very aware of all the blessings in my life, and very grateful, but oh that new table would make me smile.

And then I backed out of the garage and tore the side mirror right off the van. Awesome, right?

I called Seth and he laughed at my bad driving, and cheered me up. It is just a mirror, and it is the perfect time for something to break since we have the money. Not a fun way to spend it, but thankfully it is there. It was just waiting for something to break.

And really, I should have known better than to dream about that table. I should have known that money would never be mine. It would go against Julie's law.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

That's crazy.. but like your friend said at least you have the money to fix the things rather then them breaking and not having it.
That's cool that Seth would just laugh rather than be annoyed. Doug wouldn't be mad at me but I don't think he'd laugh.
And Docs are cool.. so of course you'd want to wear them for 20 years right?

Jen said...

Awww, I'm sorry that this is your fate. I feel the same way lately or that Mike gets all the fun stuff he wants, but I am blessed and have gotten stuff, too. I hope your non-fun spending streak ends soon and you can finally get that table you've long dreamed of having:)

Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, I don't think Seth is super amused, but he knows by now that life with me is a comedy of errors. To make it worse, he tells me every time that I pull in or out of the garage that I am too close to the side, so I feel very fortunate that I got a laugh instead of an "I told you so", although I'm sure that is coming. And I am very blessed with the timing with which things break in my life, so mostly I am relieved that this happened today and not during Christmas when I was broke.

Jen, Weren't we just talking yesterday about how it was OUR TURN to buy something fun? Oh well, I guess the boys did remind us of how much we spent on skin care crap, and our weekly Burger King dates. I can't complain too much...life is good...and I NEED to learn to drive in reverse.

Anonymous said...

Burger King? What do you get there? I haven't been to Burger King since high school and I started thinking about Whoppers a couple weeks ago with the pregnancy and everything.

As for the mirror...duct tape, didn't Glenn teach you anything!

One more thing...why did you get bread and peanut butter only? No jelly? That confuses me!

Seth and Julie said...

Val, we go to Burger King once a week so the kids can play at the play place since it is too cold for the park. We are so sick of BK. When it warms up we will be back at the park instead, or out on the trampoline. Duct tape! Ha,Ha...I am sure Glenn would tell me I didn't need a new mirror or a new table. As for the peanut butter... I ate PB on potato bread 3 times a day my whole mission. It was cheap and I could throw it in my backpack without it getting all nasty like jelly does if it sits in a backpack all day. Sometimes, when I could splurge I would throw in some Cheezits as well. Glamorous living, I know.

Katelin said...

That bites! If it's not one thing, it's twelve others, right? Sigh. Wish I had a ton of extra money--I'd share. Maybe the mirror won't be too much to fix, but that's probably wishful thinking, huh?

Julie L said...

Oh, ouch! So sorry. I want you to have the table, too. But gratitude is an important ingredient here. I laughed when I had all my guys out on missions. We said we were really blessed - while on their missions I got to replace every major appliance we owned and the cars, too. Lucky us! They all broke. Somehow, however, we got through it all (probably still paying on some of it, though). Hang in there.

LeShel said...

I totally get what you're saying. I am always nervous to spend money because if we have extra and spend it then something breaks and we wish we wouldn't have done something fun with it. If we save it then everything seems to keep running fine. It's not that you're not thankful to have the funds to use on something it's just that sometimes it's nice to spend money in a little different way. Totally get what you're saying.
Love the story about your side mirror. I once backed out of a driveway and knocked my rear light out by hitting their garbage can. When I looked back at the house everyone had seen the show. Anyhow... I was mad because it had to be fixed so we could pass inspection and it cost TOO much. I think it must have had some gold somewhere in it. Kjel did the work replacing it and I did the leg work finding one on a junkyard vehicle but it still cost WAY too much.
Good luck with that side mirror.

Anonymous said...

We ate Burger King on Saturday after all that time. I think this post made me do it. I got the original chicken sandwich, remember we used to love those. Or was that just me?