In my last post I asked Makinzee if she knew that Seth had once tried to set me up with Mike, her husband. Tacky question? After thinking it over, yes maybe it was tacky, but luckily it didn't offend her and she even said she would like to hear the story. And I would like to tell it because then you will all see that it is not quite as tacky as it might have sounded. I never dated her husband. Here is how it all actually happened.
I have mentioned before that me and Seth dated, and then broke up. During our broken up months we became very good friends. Best friends. Really close best friends. So close that no one believed that we were just friends. We were though. Even though we were just friends, we were very protective of each other. If Seth dated girls that I thought were ick then I told him as much. And Seth, in an attempt to protect me from any ick suitors, tried to set me up with his cousin, Mike.
I begged him not to. I had never met Mike so it was nothing personal. I was getting ready to leave on my mission and wasn't interested in dating anyone. I also thought the idea of dating my best friend/ex-boyfriend's cousin was just a little too weird to sit comfortably. Seth told me Mike was a nice guy, recently returned missionary, etc., but I begged him to just drop it. He asked me if he could bring him over just to hang out. Seth was going to stay the whole time. He wanted to hang out with Mike anyhow because he hadn't seen him in two years but he also wanted to hang out with me, because he always wanted to hang out with me. Awww cute.
I said he could bring him over and we would all 3 hang out, but just as my best friend and his cousin. No weird comments or attempts to create a connection between us. The boys came over one day. We went shopping and they cooked steaks. I was a vegetarian so I just watched. Then we hung out playing darts and pool at my house. I am pretty sure that Mike and I did not even talk at all, unless it was through Seth. Me and Seth wrestled and flirted and acted the way we always did. I thought nothing of it.
When the boys were leaving Seth gave me a hug and asked me to call him later. Mike said something like, "Yeah, call him, don't call me." I felt like such a jerk. Had we made him feel uncomfortable the whole time? I wasn't ever trying to be rude. It was just that Seth was there and he was my security blanket so I never ventured out and tried to be friendly. And truthfully, Seth and I just had this weird gravitational pull that would happen between us when we were together. Every one else saw it. We denied it, but there was no one else in a room when Seth was there.
Mike went on to meet and marry Makinzee while Seth and I were on missions. She is adorable and he is actually pretty cool too, now that I've opened my eyes and actually met him. We lived down the road from them in Draper, Utah for a few years before we moved here and they moved to Idaho. We never hung out during our years as neighbors and I think partly it was because I was sure Mike thought I was rude, and I was a little embarrassed. However, apparently he didn't even know that our first meeting was an attempted set up on Seth's part so I am hopeful that he understands now why I acted like an idiot. I also hope that if we are ever neighbors again, we can all be friends.
And that is the story of the time my husband tried to set me up. Bet that's never happened to you.
Second Week of School
3 years ago
5 comments:
Wow... Kjel never did try to set me up! That's a bummer. Guess it's not too late though :)
awww, thanks Julie. Nicest comment all week.
LOL! Mike was and probably still is clueless when he came to girls, what do you expect he's a guy. Love ya babe! I remember a couple times being together... we came to Alyssa's blessing at your house and I believe one other occasion. And a Christmas dinner at the Lehi Hotel (i think you were there)most of the family got the stomach flu after that dinner. I had it on Christmas Day. I'll get Mike to read the day and see if he even remembers it!
Wow... I am trying to remember that "set-up," and it's not ringing a bell. Sorry.
And just so you know, I have always thought you were kind and nice. So don't worry around me.
Knowing me, I was probably telling you to call Seth because I could see what you guys were trying to deny at the time... that you were meant for each other.
I can't wait until we are neighbors again so we can really hang out again.
Ha,Ha! I am glad you don't even remember our set-up Mike. It's funny how I worried about how embarrassing it was for years, for no reason at all. Glad I got it out in the open so we could all laugh, and move on.
Post a Comment