CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Contractions Have Started and Now I Remember....

Remember how yesterday I said the weather here wasn't that bad?

I lied!

Last night when I went across town I found that they did get snow. We were somehow stuck in a little warm pocket and it missed us. So weird, 10 blocks away, the yards are covered. Not bad, but at least enough to play in.

And now that the snow has moved on, the cold has arrived.

I just dropped off Alex at school and when I got out of the car the wind ripped the ponytail out of my hair, for real. My hair was blowing in my face and the cold on my ears startled me. I drew in a deep breath to brace myself for the walk up to the school and just then a gust of wind assaulted me. In my face, down my throat. I snapped my mouth closed because I am pretty sure that wind was sucking my life force. Chloe squealed like a little piglet and started trying to blow the cold away from her.

It is SO cold. They say you can't possibly understand how cold it is here unless you live here. Well, I believe you can't even understand how cold it is if you do. Every year I have that moment where I think, HOLY SOMETHING!, it is not even possible for it to be this cold. It is so incomprehensible to me that my memory can not even hold it for a year.

I just got home and jumped on weather.com and it says

Windy and Sunny
1 degree
feels like -21 degrees
winds gusting at 37 mph

Wisconsin is still shockingly cold. Living here in the winter is like giving birth, you forget how painful it is until you have to do it again.

P.S. I still love you Wisconsin.
* I will try to come back and answer more of your questions during Chloe's nap.

6 comments:

bill said...

Julie,

That's amazing. I'll get back later, but Linda and I want to get out now for our walk before it gets too warm.

Take care,

Dad

Catherine said...

Holy Cow! We're freezing in Utah, but the lowest we've had is -1 with the wind chill. I love what you said about the wind assaulting you. So true.

Jen said...

It is too cold today. I also think it's windier at the recplex because of the lake. The bones in face were actually hurting as we walked into the building. When were leaving Mimi screamed that she was too scared to go back outside. I tried to be pull up her jacket to cover up her face.

It is pretty durn cold here, but I will say that Minnesota has got this place beat. When I lived there it would get in the -30's with wind chills even lower for about a whole month. That is insane! I don't what I was thinking living there. Now I'm back in the cold after I swore off the cold forever when we moved away from MN.

Katelin's family said...

Well, now I'm even more scared. Thanks, Jen! But, yeah, it seems like every time we try to tell family in Utah that it is cold out here, they say, "Yeah, it's been SO cold here, too." It actually makes us kind of furious, because Utah just doesn't compare. Sorry! It's like they forget we've lived there, too! We're trying to explain that it is a million times colder here, but they just don't get it. I'm glad you get it, although I wish for both our sakes that we didn't!

Katelin's family said...

I forgot to mention that yesterday when we had to run an errand and the kids were watching me shovel the driveway where the plow had blocked us in, John said we shouldn't even bother. He said we could go outside again in April. I think that's a good plan!

Seth and Julie said...

Jen, We get down to -30 and even -40 sometimes. Don't you remember Christmas last year? Last year when we flew to CA for Christmas it was -40 here and 60 there, 100 degree difference. But since MN is North of us I wouldn't be surprised if they do get it worse much of the time. Sorry Katelin, but you can always come back. My face hurt too today. I had to stop and get gas on the way to pick Alex up and I couldn't even finish filling the tank. My head felt like it might burst. I could have pierced my ears, or even cut them off, without noticing when I got back in the car. Brrr!

Katelin, I know what you mean about the Utah comparison. It definitely doesn't compare. Even 0 degrees there feels so much warmer than 0 here because of the dang humidity. You do have to live it to get it, for sure. But Utah does have us beat when it comes to the heat. Holy Moly, it gets SO hot there (although Vegas and AZ get first place on that one...ugh). I am not entirely sure any one of these places were meant to be inhabited.

Oh, and I agree with John. I'll see you at the Dells in April when it is once again safe to venture out, although remember how cold it was at the Dells last Spring. Nothing like running from the cabin to the waterpark, wet and half naked in the snow.