Since it is now officially Christmas break, we are cramming in the cheer. Monday we hit the store to get all the traditonal Christmas eats. Then we went light seeing. There is one street here called Christmas Lane that is pretty good. Everyone puts up lights, nothing ridiculous like you see in California, but at least they are trying. There is also one house not far from us that we love. And another house that syncs up their lights to music. Oh, and our favorite is a guy who sets up a massive model train display in his yard. But that's about it. Most people don't put up a single strand. Embarrassingly enough, we are amongst the lightless this year. Usually we decorate but I told you this year there has been no time.
If you are from California you know why I am being snobby about lights. People put up carnivals in the yard, or real, ride-on trains. They wrapping paper the garage doors, do window displays, the works. My sister was telling me yesterday about a neighborhood she was taking her son to with 12 houses all synced up to music together. Ridiculous! There are some houses where they pass out hot chocolate and do a salute to the troops and all manner of Christmas madness. I miss the California lights. Oh well, we've got snow. Doesn't get much more Christmasy looking than that.
Tuesday we finally had enough snow to play in. We spent a couple hours outside playing!
I think Chloe is at a slight disadvantage in this snowball fight. No gloves, and no eyes! Poor thing.
Run Chloe, run!
Snowball in flight, can you see it?Me and the girls decided to shovel since it was actually pretty warm (32ish) Alyssa used the bottom half of our old broken shovel to clear the sidewalk.
Chloe used the handle of the old shovel to get in the way
I finished the whole driveway! There wasn't that much snow but it was wet and heavy and I made Alyssa snap this shot to prove that I did manual labor. It was covered again by the time Seth got home. I tried!
Chloe got cold because she kept taking off her gloves so I put her in the van. When I checked on her she was in paradise. Alyssa had left the goodies from her church teachers in the car and Chloe was feasting on peanut butter cups.
After we got all dried off and Seth got home, we painted sugar cookies. I prefer thicker sugar cookies with thick frosting but I told Alyssa we were going to do thin icing so that we could decorate more detailed cookies. She said, "you mean we get to be artistic this year?" She's a riot, that one. Two and a half hours later our cookies were painted and most of us were very happy with them. Alex asked if he could trade me cookies because he thought his were the worst ones. How sad! I assured him that his were exceptional. They were. He sat so still and worked on them so carefully. He was so happy to hear that I liked them. He lit up (his face, not a smoke)and said, "Really, mom?" and skipped away happy with his work.
Here are our creations.
Pretty good, until I saw this picture on the allrecipes home page this morning. Out-doilied again!
Oh well, they don't have these cookies.
I got the Christmas Story cookie cutters last Christmas from my brother, Steven. I have been waiting for a year to make these cookies. Aren't they so fun? Don't be jealous. Oh nevermind, be jealous. Even I am a little jealous of myself for owning something that cool.
Now Seth and Alyssa went with a more modern leg lamp, but I tried to stay true to the original.
Ralphie in his bunny suit was my favorite . I was so amused with myself, but maybe even more amused when I saw Seth's interpretation.
Alright, well I really have no time to chat, or proofread, or fix the pictures and captions that seem to be deciding for themselves today whether or not they want to be centered. I just wanted to hurry and post this because there is more madness coming and I don't want to overload you with it all in one post. We are having a movie party tonight and again tomorrow night (just us Johnson's, but we like to call everything a party or a field trip) so I must go do some last minute planning.
One thing I love about living far away is that I pay more attention to my kids. When I have friends and family here I get distracted and talk to them. When it is just me and the kids, I am a better mom and I will always cherish the memories of these years of partying together.
11 comments:
I love your cookies!
I loved that you put that one of the things you love about living far away is that you pay more attention to your kids. I feel the same way! A lot of the time I think of all the negatives about living far away, but being alone really does allow you to totally focus on your own family unit. I am constantly saying that I submerge myself in my kids (and Husband) because that is all I have out here! It was good to read that I am not alone...Well, not physically at least! LOL :)
Those cookies are amazing! I read a blog of a girl that paints cookies but I've never known anyone (that I knew of) that did it until now. Is it hard?
They look so pretty and festive.
Also, the pictures are great. That snowball one is awesome.
I want to see the California lights!
How did you do the cookies? Seriously, those are cool!! Love that you're getting out in the snow, you all look so cute! I just bought snow pants for myself so I can join in the fun better here. No, we don't have family coming, but we're getting pretty good at having our own Morton parties, like you said, and loving it, right? :o) Hey, my sis-in-law in Mwkee is due in February, so we'll probably plan a visit to come see the new guy sometime, so anyway, we'll come hang out soon!
first off those cookies rock! I had NO idea cookies could be created in such a manner. I want to learn!
The outside play looks fantastic! The kids are so happy and I love that Alex was just hanging out sucking up the fun. Don't worry he'll have plenty of hours of snow shoveling as he gets older. Silly adult life can suck the fun out of you quick!
Have a Merry Christmas! I agree with the fun we get to have with our kids. I've never been so close to mine as I am right now.
Your cookies are spectacular. Those cutters! I'm tempted to sneak in your house and steal them, or else I could just try to buy some myself, I guess. Merry Christmas to you and yours! So glad that 2009 was a Renouf virtual reunion.
Those cookies are seriously awesome. You'll have to teach me that technique. Love the Christmas Story themed ones. That sexy leg lamp is a hoot!
Look at all that snow. I'm sure my girls would be quite envious, but I'm just fine with green grass and palm trees right now. There will be plenty more opportunities to play in the snow when we get back.
I hope you guys are enjoying your Christmas!
I love those Christmas Story Cookie cutters. Maybe if I had those I would actually bake cookies. I am so anti anything it seems. But we are assembling ornaments tonight so I guess at least I did something. Can't wait to see your Christmas pictures.
Better lock up the cookie cutters when I come out!! Looks like you guys are having so much fun. Wish we were there!
Raddest cookies ever!! I love that thin frosting. I can pick the ones that you did.
That picture of Alex is so cool. It is totally him!! So funny when you look at his face, he literally looks like he will burst with excitement!!
Whoa! I listened to your playlist and that version of "O Holy Night" by Celtic Woman is my new favorite.
Also, I never knew that version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" was Bare Naked Ladies?? I love that!
You are doing a great job there! The cookies are the coolest ever. What is the recipe you use for the frosting to have it come out so smooth and paintable? Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment