My anniversary weekend has been cut short by a Youth Temple Trip, so while Seth is gone I will talk to all of you about my date last night.
I have employed an editing technique in this post, much like you would find when watching a movie on TBS.
So when you see {these} you will know that I have replaced the original content of those brackets with something else.
You know what I mean, right? Like when you watch a movie and the line, "You are a real a@@ suddenly becomes poorly voiced over with...
You are a real {apple fritter}?
Same concept.
We now return you to tonight's movie with no further commercial interruptions.
First Seth came home with these.
Always red roses. I am so cliche but there is no other flower for me, ever. Even at our wedding I would only allow roses, and only red.
Seth had this waiting for him.
New pillows, which was kind of a joke. He loves his pillows but they are encased in some rubbery material and it makes his head sweat and the pillowcase get gross. I have been threatening to throw them away for months and even though the pillows were a joke, I am also dead serious. Those old pillows are goners.
And a box of chocolate strawberries (his favorite goody)
And now to our big date
For our 10 year anniversary we were supposed to go to Hawaii. That is what we decided 10 years ago, back when 10 years still seemed far away. But 10 years pounced on us, and left us unprepared. Aside from not having the expendable cash flow to go to Hawaii, we also have 3 kids, and I honestly don't think I could leave them. Maybe one day?
But we did go on a real date. That's twice this year!
When Alyssa was a baby, my friend Brandie told me about The Melting Pot. She thought me and Seth would love it. For 7 years now everyone who goes there, and knows me and Seth, tells us how much we would love it. We do love to dip stuff in chocolate! For 7 years, The Melting Pot has been lingering in our minds but we couldn't go with kids. We heard it takes 2-3 hours to eat and there is a burner on the table. With three kids, that seems like a recipe for embarrassment and ER visits. And yes, we do take our kids everywhere. We always have.
Last night we ditched them and finally tried the Melting Pot.
We had so much fun taking our time with each course, and exploring the world of fondue.
But....come on people, that food is not that good. You are paying strictly for the experience at The Melting Pot. I am glad we went because it was something new and made for a fun memory, but you know I am a foodie, so in the future it is back to Bob Chinn's and The Cheesecake Factory. Just thought I'd be honest in case any of you have been dying to try it. All hype, my friends, all hype.
But fun...so have a look...
Our Melting Pot getting ready for course one: the cheese. Seth thought I was a big dork for taking this picture.
The Main Course, getting ready to meet the pot.
Our caramel chocolate turtle being flambeed
Us. It was so dark in there that it took forever for the camera to flash and take the picture so we look pretty phoney by the time it took, and we had red eyes that I could not get rid of so I had to turn us black and white.
Oh, and no we did not sit on the same side of the table, that was only for the picture.
The dessert
And here is my brilliant 10th anniversary concept picture. As we were dipping in to the fondue, I told Seth to switch his fondue fork to his left hand and I did the same. I thought a picture of our rings would be cute, but it was hard to get the camera far enough away from our hands to get the pot, the forks, and our rings. So, we held our fondue forks by the metal, rather than the handle. We must have looked silly trying to hold the camera way up high to get this shot and it made for a good laugh because we couldn't see the viewfinder and it took several attempts to get both of our hands somewhat centered. Oh well, it was a cute idea even if it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.
After The Melting Pot we had to hustle home because our babysitters had to be home by 9:00. Our regular (used twice a year) babysitter was busy so we chose two sweet girls from church but their mom gave them a curfew of 8 or 9. Too bad, we actually had big sexy plans to go shopping for stocking stuffers at Target after dinner. No time for that romantic whimsy though.
We hurried home to our monkeys and Alex was so proud of us for going on a date. He said, "you finally went on a date with dad, you've never been on a date before." He also asked me my favorite color and when I told him navy blue, he assured me that he would get me blue flowers when he marries me. That silly boy!
Anyhow, I put my funny little ones to bed while Seth ran the babysitters home. After monkeys were fast asleep, I changed in to {flannel pajamas} and we spent the rest of the night {playing scrabble}.
It was a great night. We reminisced about the wedding, the honeymoon, {sextuplets}, the past 10 years, the future, where we thought we'd be right now and where we are right now. We both agreed that we couldn't be happier with how the past 10 years have gone.
It was a lovely milestone, and today we are on our way to number 11.
Happy Anniversary to all our bloggy friends who are also celebrating this weekend...Heidi and Mikey, Doug and Cheryl, Emma and Brian, and Mike and Leslie. Why aren't we in Hawaii?
Second Week of School
3 years ago
13 comments:
How fun!! We also heard about the melting pot, but even for Anniversaries I can't spend that much money on food. So we call it good with Texas Roadhouse. I can't believe you never go out alone!! That is crazy Julie. You need to do that more often. Although I admire your dedication to the kids. I find myself wanting to get away. Ten years huh? I still remember driving to CA from AZ for the wedding. That was crazy huh?
Have I mentioned that I want you to save Alyssa for either logan or Gabe? I think she is the most beautiful little girl. We just have to make sure the don't meet until after the boys go on a mission and grow up a lot. She might hate them otherwise.
I agree about the melting pot. The food is not that good, but I think the dessert is really good!
I love that Al wants to marry you, that is so cute. And that picture of you guys is really good and looks good in black and white.
Happy Anniversary! I know what you mean about ten year anniversaries, we had big plans for a trip and I was going to get a grand piano, now that anniversary is only 5 months away and. . . yeah right. In my fam we're the same with our kids. We very rarely leave them, I always count it as a date when we go to the hospital to have a baby.
I love your stories! I especially loved the "editing" you make me laugh!
Hey thanks.Happy anniversary!
We are so far behind every one else - 6 years for us.
Sounds like a fun date night.
Kory, I love Texas Roadhouse! I could sit and eat those rolls all day long. And I know I need to get out more but I have issues, ha,ha!
Val, I hate that picture. I always look so frightened to be in the world, but thanks for making me feel better about it.
Catherine, my only kid free overnighters are for childbirth too, what a date! Ha,Ha!
Happy Annual-versity, as Popeye calls it. It sounds like you painted the town red. Thanks for keeping it clean for all your straight-laced blog stalkers. A good flannel nightgown and a game of scrabble sounds like a perfect way to end the night, even without editing, in my old and tired opinion. Much love and happiness to you and Seth in the coming decade and always.
Julie,
You forgot to mention.....had I not intervened, Seth's groomsmen would still be doing their toast!
Congratulations! You have a beautiful family.
Dad
Julie, that is a really cute picture of you guys!! Very clever to turn it black and white--I'll have to remember that trick! Cute post and happy anniversary!! Hawaii will be there when you're ready for it. :o)
it has been awhile since i've stopped by. It is crazy around here. Congrats on your 10th anniversary. I'm hoping to catch up on all the past posts in the next few days.
For our 10th, I wanted to have another wedding reception, because the first one didnt exactly go as I planned and I wanted one my way. Of course, now that seems silly, and I would feel silly doing it. Hawaii has also been pushed back for us, but the dream is still alive. Maybe we will meet up there someday when we are all old and grey!
Cant say the early course of dinner looked good to me with all that fishy stuff in it, but I could go for some of that dessert. YUM! Love your editing, you make me laugh.
Congrats again! Oh yeah, and if my husband isnt planning something behind my back, you are always free to leave your kids here while you go out! Just as long as you are willing to take on mine in return! I need dates too!;)
Wanna know what Ryan said after he read your post? "Can I leave a comment and put... I wish margie would wear her {flannel pajamaas} more often!!!!" We both laughed so hard and I knew you were the only person who wouldnt mind if he did write that. Anywho, so GLAD you guys had a fun night out. I would pick bob chins too, but I'm biased...
Happy Anniversary my friends! Love you guys!
What a beautiful evening for your anniversary. Seth is a real romantic! Never would have guessed that. Can he rub some of that off onto Mike?
No wonder you've been dragging your feet about going to the Melting Pot with me; you've been holding out for your man. Fun place
Post a Comment