We had a Primary activity Saturday morning which means that I had a nervous stomach and was up all night on Friday. However it turned out to be a lot of fun (at least I had fun). I would post pictures but I don't know if all the people there would appreciate it. After it was over I was so relieved. But then came...
The MAD!
Right after we got home Alyssa jumped on a toy we borrowed from the library. It is a big wooden board with bean bags to play bean bag toss. I was going to use it at the activity but we already had a lot of other stuff planned so I left it home. Anyhow, Alyssa jumped on it and splintered one of the legs. My kids have a gift for ruining library property so I was really annoyed at the thought of paying for this stupid thing. Apparently Alyssa could tell how mad I was because she came out and gave us her tooth fairy money to help pay for it. Of course, all that did was make me feel like a mean, terrible mom. I should have taken her money because she needed to learn a lesson but there was no way we could take it. So instead we told her to put her money away and we went to have...
FUN...at Disney on Ice
This is how Alex watches shows. He likes his hands to be ready to cover his eyes in case he sees something scary.




I have been bugging Seth to go to Disney on Ice every time they come to Milwaukee. He finally agreed and we went to see the 100 years of Disney Magic show. They had scenes from all the big movies and Alex and Alyssa loved it. Chloe was terrible. Luckily we were in the back row so I could stand up with her. Just FYI: If you ever go, buy the cheap seats because they don't sell the ones way up in the rafters, they leave those empty so you can really see perfectly even in the back row. Now on to the...
Silly...
On Sunday Alyssa was drawing lovely pictures during church.
It started like this...(Me Alyssa I am playing in the rane puduls)

And then there was this... (The next day my flowers grew)

Then things took a dark turn...(a skeleton getting spit from a volcano)

And finally there was this...

Now that you have seen the silly we must conclude the weekend with...
The SAD.
This weekend I weaned Chloe. I usually stop nursing at their first birthday but we were out of town so Chloe got an extra month. Plus, to be honest I was really having a hard time with the whole idea of never nursing again.
I am one of those crazy women who loves to breastfeed. I never even gave my kids bottles or pacifiers...it was all mommy all the time. Chloe was really hard to nurse. I have permanent scars that prove just how hard it was to get her to nurse. But I stuck with it because it means a lot to me. I have always been amazed at how perfectly our bodies were designed to care for our babies. How my body always knew when Chloe was about to wake up and be hungry. I loved having something that no one else could offer her but me. And I loved cuddling her, especially as she got older and didn't like to be cradled. It was one way I could still get her to cuddle me.
But, even if I continued to nurse her it would not stop her from growing so I knew it was time. I don't want to be that creepy lady on 20/20 that has child protective services interfering because she is nursing an adolescent child. I just have to accept that my baby is not a baby. But my heart is a little bit broken. As I tried to rock her to sleep last night I was feeling really close to tears. She was just looking up at me like she knew something had changed. I had to give her to Seth and get out of the room before I chickened out.
I know, I am a wimp but I just hate that these babies keep turning into people so quickly.
9 comments:
I was wondering how you got Chooch to sit through that show until you said that she was crazy. I love how Al watches the show. And I like the picture of the tiger eating the guy!
those drawings were awesome! I want to go to Disney on Ice!! Abi would probably love it with how much she loves ice skating.
Also, I loved breast feeding too. It was really hard. The first six months it was normal to see me crying or yelping during because it was so painful (and that was before teeth!) but eventually it got better and I loved the bonding. I quit at about the same time you did with Chloe.
You know I hear it is best to nurse until they are at least 2yrs. I cant even imagine stopping in only a month!! I think Olivia would freak out and so would I!! They still are babies. oh Im getting all sad now.
I vote that you should still nurse!!
haha
The Primary activity was very fun--congrats to you! By the way, if you want to come to the Activity Day girls' party Friday night, we'd love to have you. I'm just planning some silly games and food, not too much structure, so they can bond I guess. I'm sad now that we didn't go to the show Saturday, I bet my kids would have loved it. Sorry about the weaning--that's usually not too fun, although Sara weaned herself from one side at nine months, which made things a little awkward! I haven't thought of that in a while, ha!
Watch what you say! Liz was our last baby, and I had a hard time quitting nursing her. Then--surprise!! Another baby to nurse. It is the best feeling in the world, holding that child you helped create, and looking in their eyes and realizing that they know things you don't remember. And then, as they grow up, your arms ache--literally ache--wanting them to be nursing, holding and cuddling and rocking them. But, before you know it, you are holding (just not nursing!) your grandchildren. And your arms ache again each time they leave. What a wonderful cycle.
I used to think nursing was creepy, now I love it. I am amazed at my body. I grew a baby. A whole person, organs skin eyes everything. How is that even possible. Now I make milk. I have to pump at work and I am always astounded when I see the full bottle. I can fill a bottle in less than ten minutes. That is totally amazing to me.
That is funny what Ann said. Knowing you, you WILL be preggo again before too long! As for weaning, you can now get excited for her learning and growing. I know we differ there because you want them to stay babies and like big kids. Luke seems like a six year old to me now so I can't imagine still nursing. All babies and mommies are different though so I see why you are bummed.
I still can't get over that tiger picture that Alyssa drew. I want the hard copy...it cracks me up!
I loved nursing too and stopped whenever they were ready which happened anywhere from 5 to 18 months. Every time I hold one of my grandchildren I miss nursing and tease my girls about secretly nursing their babies. Seriously I think about doing it--don't worry--I have more self control than that. I agree with Ann, I miss those times as a young mother. As a grandmother I love holding my grandchildren in my arms and remembering how wonderful that special time was.
Jeff wanted me to make this comment for alyssa... he said he loves your tiger drawing so much that he set it as the backround on his computer, nice work.
Post a Comment