CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 29, 2014

This, That, and the Other Thing

I did not intend to completely abandon the blog, but my computer and photobucket are not getting along lately and I have not been able to upload pictures. But until that is resolved, how about a boring blah, blah, blah update....

I can't believe it is the end of summer. What a bust! I was in school and training at work until the end of July, then we went on a 3 week road trip and now we are home and going back to school. We only went to the lake once, Six Flags twice and not much else. I feel like I failed my children by being too busy to be fun this year. The only consolation comes from the fact that it was cold and rainy all summer anyway so even if we'd had the time, we may not have had the adventures anyway. Oh well!

I officially finished the Pathway program at the end of July. I finally gave up on trying to please my English teacher and wrote my final paper in 20 minutes. There was one paragraph I did not like so I deleted it and cut and pasted a different one from an old blog post because I didn't feel like rewriting it. I did not change anything after peer reviews and I did not send it to the writing lab. All I needed was 50% to maintain an A in the class so I decided to quit jumping through hoops for nothing. It was my worst paper, for sure. It came back more marked up than any past paper and yet, she gave me 100% on it. Hmm...? Makes me wonder if her plan was to give a 96 twice, a 98 twice and then 100 so it looked like she had succeeded as a teacher. She lost all credibility in my book, but it is over and done with and so I will take my A and move on. I am signed up for 4 classes in the fall. That may be too many? I will have to wait and see, but I really, really want to be done. I am listed as a senior because I have 95 credits but in order to meet the demands of my major I still need 50 more and I hope to be done when I am 40, so I have two years to get this done!

Along with school, I am now working part time. I only work 8-10 hours a week but it cuts in to my schedule more than I expected it to. I like it though. It is fun to just get out and be productive and I work alone and on my own time, so that is a bonus.

I was also chosen to be one of the two team moms for Alyssa's synchro team. I did not see that coming. I was sure they would choose someone who had done this crazy synchro thing before. We have to help  with team fundraising and travel with the team and chaperone them at competitions, as well as hang with them in the locker room and at the hotel. We will also help with hair and make-up which I am learning is  a whole new animal. USFS does not allow any pins or barrettes on the ice so their hair has to be put in a bun and sewed, yes sewed, to the bun maker. Any accessories also have to be sewed in so I am pretty sure I will suck at that. But...Alyssa is loving this new adventure so far.

And one last new adventure awaits me in the 2014-15 school year. I was called to teach early morning seminary. That is 5 days a week at 6:00 AM. My mom, dad, and Seth all told me it was terrible timing and to say no, but I have never said no to a calling and I love working with the youth. I also hate when people tell me I can't do something. Of course, everyone meant well. I really do have a lot going on and I am a perfectionist so they all know how much pressure I will put on myself every day to have a good lesson ready and a clean house before I let anyone in. But when people tell me I can't do something I go in to oh yeah, watch me mode. Case in point: the dog. But I really wanted to make sure that this was the right thing to do and not just something I was doing because I wanted to be right. I went back and forth for a month and didn't decide for sure until 5 minutes before I walked in to the parents meeting on Sunday. I decided that I would regret it if I didn't at least try but I gave Seth carte blanche to pull the plug at any time and I agreed that I will willingly walk away if it hurts my family or my health in any way. Now I am so nervous that I can't sleep at night, but I am also excited and hopeful so wish me luck.

And that is about all that is going on with me right now. I realize that kid updates are more exciting to read and to look at, so I will assign Seth to figure out how to make my computer be nice to me so I can throw a whole summer at you in one or two posts.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the calling. I know the powerful impact my seminary teachers had on me and knowing you there will be plenty of lives affected in a positive way. The early hours would do me in, I can't seem to wake up before 7 anymore without feeling it all day long.

If you need help with anything this fall just let me know. Other than Tuesday nights now I have very little else going on.

Katie and Mark said...

Wow. WOW!!! You are amazing! Congrats on the final A...What an odd teacher, huh?? I bet you will be amazing at that calling. Good luck with EVERYTHING!!

LeShel said...

You are kicking butt! I have no doubt you'll conquer all. If it helps though, you totally can't do it. :)

Julie L said...

Impressive woman! What great opportunities, but you will definitely not know what spare time means. Best of luck with it all.

Holly said...

I didn't realize you were going to be a seminary teacher. Don't know where I was when you got the calling. I'm hoping it was a Sunday I was gone so I don't have to wonder what else I missed while my mind was wandering. For what it's worth, I think you'll do fine. I would be both excited and nervous as well. Do you know how many kids you'll have? Anyway, good luck juggling it all! Definitely sounds like you'll be busy!

Susie said...

I said the timing was bad but I didn't say to turn it down. I bet you will love it and I know the kids will love you.

Cheryl said...

Ooh boy. It does sound busy. But I have always kind of thought of you as an Energizer bunny.. so I think you will do great.
I think you are probably right about your teacher. Crazy.

I have no idea how you would even sew hair... ? I have never heard of that.

I think you will be a great seminary teacher. It was early morning seminary that brought me to the church when I was 15. I mean, my family already went but I never believed in it or anything until seminary. And it was because my early morning seminary teacher was an awesome lady. She was cool and understanding and didn't fit the mold you often think about with mormon women out here... so I wanted to be like her.
I think you will be like that. I think the teenagers will gravitate toward you.

Good luck with it all!