It's time to work on my FINAL paper for English this semester. It is a Personal Essay. Hooray, because my teacher always says that what I write is a personal essay so apparently this is my niche. But, I don't know what to write about. Since this blog has basically been a series of personal essays, I thought that maybe you could all help me? And by you all, I mean all 5 of you that still pop in here from time to time.
I am supposed to write about a moment or experience that changed me in some way. I want to steer clear of the mission and any other testimony building moments because it is BYUI...I am sure these instructors have read more than their share of Come to Jesus stories. So what should I write about?
I have thought about writing about meeting Seth and specifically the moment when I took the stairs to make sure I would see him one more time, but is it cliche to write your love story? Probably.
I also like the story about choosing between Dennis Rodman's book and President Hinckley's biography, but it is a churchy one so probably not.
Packing up my car and moving to Salt Lake on a whim is another one that is on my radar.
Not sold on any of these ideas, so if there is one story or experience that I have told here or elsewhere that you actually remember, can you help me out?
Thanks!
P.S. I have more exciting posts coming soon...My mom was just here for a visit, Alex tested for his black belt, Alyssa went to camp, Chloe took swimming lessons, I have been working, synchronized skating starts next week, Alyssa is 12 years old TODAY...all of that and more coming soon.
Second Week of School
3 years ago
9 comments:
How about the day you allowed a dog into your life? That had a pretty big impact on your life.
I also like the stairs idea, I haven't heard that story yet and if this is a personal essay then anything you write could be viewed as "cliché".
Still waiting for you to post your papers here for us all to read!!!
OH my gosh! YES. What Daniel said.
Haha. But then for sure she would be an extreme dog lover and dock you points for having a puppy be an issue at all. :)
I think all of them sound good.
Have you written about Steinbeck yet? I mean he has had a huge impact on your life too.
Dan,
I considered writing about Bernie but I am not sure how it has changed me. I learned about my own strength, I suppose. Of all the times that I have shared TMI on the blog, the Bernie posts are the only ones that Seth has ever said were too much and should be deleted, but I could probably take the crazy down a notch or two now that I am not right in the thick of it. As for posting my papers...I am still thinking about it.
Cheryl,
I have written about Steinbeck. I have actually quoted him a few times in our virtual classroom. East of Eden was also one of four books that I referenced in my paper about why classic lit needs to be taught in church schools.
For my two cents, I love the Rodman vs. Hinckley showdown. That's such a great story and obviously so heartfelt. It's such a clear crossroad. Good luck choosing!
Erin,
I love that story too. I actually wrote about it for Institute once and the teacher asked if he could share it with his seminary classes. I saw your name today, as the instructor for a humanities class, when I was signing up for my fall classes. All of my foundation subjects are done or waived since I have my Associates (phew!) or I would have signed up, although you probably don't want me in your class after all of the frustration I have vented about my English teacher.
So these are pretty cliche too, but what about moving to WI, Having Chloe or your experience with martial arts for Alex?
Good luck!
Of course I would want you in my class! I'm glad for you that you can waive the Foundations courses, but I was hoping to have you at some point. I was planning on giving you new and exciting reasons to vent. Just teasing. I vent all the time. It's just that I don't have a blog now, so I have to keep Shane up all night, regaling him with stories of the injustices that I suffer throughout the day. It keeps our marriage robust! Hee hee. I really do love that story, so if you've already written it up, why don't you email me a copy? Promise to post your essay here after you finish? You do? Oh, good.
Really, I love your blog posts! Any one of them, almost, would make a great personal essay. I've been slow catching up on everyone's blogs, even my own, so I didn't see this until this morning, So at this point, I'm just waiting to see what you decided on. I also never saw your Hinckley Rodman discussion and would love a link to it, if it's still out there. Sounds wonderful!
I was so excited when you posted on my blog- I thought for sure that meant you had been on to update yours! Dang. Haha. Can't wait until you have time to do it to see what you have been up to lately. :)
Post a Comment