CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Field Trips and Other Random Tidbits

In 3rd grade the kids here learn about local history, so on Thursday I had the chance to chaperone an all day, all local field trip with Alex's class. We took the bus downtown and were given a list of 90 things to see in downtown K-town. We walked around town for 7 hours and then walked back to the school. We found all but 5 of the things on our list and even learned some things. Did you know Orson Welles was from here? I didn't, but we saw his birthplace. According to my fitbit bracelet, we walked 8 miles and none of the kids in my group complained even once. It was 70 degrees and we had a perfect day.

I didn't bring a camera so thank goodness for phones because these kids kept asking me to take their picture.

 photo 20140605_090059_zps63c30ce9.jpeg photo 20140605_090330_zps617a5048.jpeg
 photo 20140605_092227_zps34d21397.jpeg
 photo 20140605_090650_zpsb8ce8d73.jpeg
 photo 20140605_093006_zps5f71d00f.jpeg
 photo 20140605_094528_zpsb9e2423d.jpeg
 photo 20140605_095040_zpsb33ffec3.jpeg 
 photo 20140605_113717_zps032e5360.jpeg
 photo 20140605_130659_zps0d2c9d55.jpeg
 photo 20140605_132110_zpsfd64728d.jpeg
 photo 20140605_132043_zps1632175b.jpeg
 photo 20140605_134034_zpsd4e5809a.jpeg
 photo 20140605_134315_zpsf06975ec.jpeg
 photo 20140605_101807_zps533e5bc4.jpeg

On Friday I had the chance to walk with Chloe's class to the beach and spend the entire day playing. Once again we had perfect weather and we could not have had more fun, although I have a whole new respect for teachers. I could not do that all day every day. I was constantly counting to make sure I had everyone and they have so much energy that they wear you right out.
 photo 20140606_091301_zpse601fc2a.jpeg
 photo 20140606_101130_zps660be5a6.jpeg
 photo 20140606_102927_zps2560e77d.jpeg
 photo 20140606_102156_zpsa2307e11.jpeg
 photo 20140606_092354_zps13c1d88c.jpeg
 photo 20140606_090732_zps761b904e.jpeg
 photo 20140606_104131_zpsd4f146b5.jpeg 
Chloe was the jump roping champion. Everyone else got about two jumps and she could just jump and jump and jump. It is hard to tell in these pictures, but she is also very tall. Some kid in another class told her she couldn't play because this field trip was only for Kindergarten. Alyssa was the shortest one in her Kinder class and Chloe is easily the tallest. I love that I caught her mid-jump. In the bright sunlight I could never see my screen so the pics were all a surprise to me when I got home.
 photo 20140606_103724_zpscc817f31.jpeg

We also had Chloe's dance recital this weekend, but I will give that its own post. While I am here though, here are a few other pics that were still buried in my phone.

The kids had a lemonade stand. We live on a dead end street so it was slow going. I think2 hours passed before their first customer. They ended up making about $15 in the end though.
 photo 002_zps498cff51.jpg 
This is just Chloe being Chloe!
 photo 20140317_160319_zps13b90796.jpeg 
They had a Kindergarten fundraiser where the kids decorated a pizza box for a local pizza company and if you ordered pizza that night it was delivered in their box.
 photo 20140409_190907_zps200bbf51.jpeg 
 photo 20140409_191115_zps841db2c2.jpeg 
Alex had a piece of his artwork displayed in the local museum again this year.  
 photo 20140412_142733_zps5945d93d.jpeg 
The Father and Son outing was on Friday night. For girls night in the girls wanted to stay home and have Arby's. Okay, whatever! They enjoyed their silly kids meal headbands. 
 photo 20140606_190858_zpsd9cad53e.jpeg 
Chloe's hair is in a bun because she also had dress rehearsal that night. 




 photo 20140606_190820_zps6e369288.jpeg 

Since I detoured from the field trip theme of this post, allow me to detour some more and throw in a few other updates.

I am still struggling with my English class. I worked with the teacher and revised my last paper 5 times. That is unheard of for me. To be honest, I usually hand in my first draft but I was trying to learn and improve. She still says I can't do things that I think I can...like not linking a list of words with "and". I say you can leave the and out sometimes to make it flow better. The and can be stifling, in my opinion. She also hates vague pronouns and would rather that I use the same word twice in one sentence than to use the word "they" or "us". So I made some concessions and I worked really hard to get every comma in the right place and I aced the grammar section but she still gave me a 96 overall. This time her feedback was so brutal that it actually really hurt. The only thing she liked was the title. Seriously! After that she annihilated it. She even said it wasn't even a proper I believe paper, which is strange because she never said that while we were working together during the week and this is the same paper the writing lab called one of the best papers they had ever read.I am jumping through hoops and I can't win with this woman. She says my writing is too personal, too conversational, too dramatic, too poetic. Oh excuse me...AND too poetic. The papers were love letters and personal belief letters. I thought they called for that? I have realized that she just hates my style of writing. I am okay with that. Not everyone will like what you do, but if you are going to give people a 96 on a paper then you should have something nice to say about it, right? I would love for a teacher to help me improve my voice, but she just wants to teach me to write in her voice. From here on out, I will not be rewriting papers 5 times each. It won't help. My next paper is persuasive and I thought about writing about the merit of creative writing. Do you think that would go over well? She has told me that good writers can make their message fit within the rules and I think I will argue that people who hold too tightly to the rules, do so to compensate for a failure to be able to use words. Alright, that was snarky, but my feelings are hurt. I will now check my pride and go back to phoning it in until I meet a teacher who actually wants to help me improve. Oh, in case you think I just can't take criticism...I beg my peer groups to be more critical. Seriously beg them! I want to get better. I want to learn to break out of my niche and use my voice to appeal to a more universal crowd. I am all for constructive criticism, but I consider destructive criticism to be completely inappropriate from an academic professional.

And one last update...I got a job! For real, I did. My friend has worked for Hallmark as a retail merchandiser for years and I asked her to tell me if she ever planned to quit because it sounded like something that would fit in to my schedule. She is moving to NY and my friend Lisa, who also worked there, is also quitting, so I applied. I will only work 7-10 hours a week and it is at my own convenience. I just have to go to 5 locations (4 grocery stores and a post office) each week and stock their Hallmark products and reorder where necessary. It will scarcely make a dent in our checking account but I figured it was a way to get my foot back in the workplace while still going to school and chauffeuring kidlets around.

I will let you breathe for a minute now and come back later and show you cute Chloe at her ballet recital.

3 comments:

LeShel said...

I don't understand the teacher. Maybe she's just an entry level that's not sure what to do with anything that has creativity? I love your idea for your next write up but fear you may ruin your gpa. Not that that should keep you from turning in this particular persuasive essay, but I do realize how important that final grade is for you.
Congrats on the job! Sounds like a great start. About the time you're done with school and ready for a real life adventure I might be ready to start to get my foot in the door... maybe you could let me in on the info and I'll snatch it up? Of course, not until you're completley ready to let it go.

Katie and Mark said...

That teacher sounds awful! A 96 is amazing, and I can't believe what she had to say. I am impressed you keep going. Can't say that I would! Good for you! Congrats on the job!

Cheryl said...

I did know about Orson. Pretty cool huh?

That sounds like a pretty fun field trip.

I LOVE those chalk pictures.

After high school I did a correspondence writing course. It was so much fun the first semester. I learned a lot. My instructor was so good. She explained what she didn't like and also told me what she did like.
Then the second semester I got a new instructor. Your teacher sounds just like her.
I would get back her letter with my assignment and she would give me a good score but then rip it apart. And almost everything she had a problem with was something that seemed like personal pref. like the spelling of a name or the way someone spoke.
It was horrible. I did get snarky and sent her a letter back with my next assignment telling her what I thought of her. I was 18 and much more outspoken than I am now. :) It didn't really go over well. She sent me back a letter being even snarkier and then we just moved on.
The funny thing is though that she felt like she was helping me become a better writer. And yet I didn't learn anything with her as a mentor.
It is a teaching style that I don't understand.
I would love to read some of your papers if you ever allow anyone else to see them.
As for now, I would focus on what the peers say and your score.
She sounds like she really has a personal issue with you- especially after not telling you her problem with the paper while you were working on it together. Maybe she is threatened by you because you are, I'm sure, a better writer than she is.