CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'll Shut up About it Soon

Alright, so I realize I have posted about nothing but school this entire month and I apologize for that, but once I take you inside a situation I always feel like I have to see it through to it's resolution.

So here is the next chapter in the charter school saga.

I have been talking to e-schooling moms and getting really excited. I am trying to decide between Kenosha e-school which is through the district so it allows us to still have the benefits that the public school students enjoy. Or...there is Wisconsin Virtual Academy (WIVA) which my friend Jackie and I talked about last night. She loves it and her kids have a Valentine's Party today, went to Lambeau field last week, and enjoy all kinds of clubs, so there is a social aspect to that option as well. Alyssa and I talked this morning and she is so excited to get to meet new people so I think we are just about set to move forward. Not set in stone, but the idea is solidifying more each day.

Then there is that one last K-8 Charter that we did not get in to but I still didn't have wait list numbers for, so I tried them again this morning. As the lady was looking my kids up in the system we chatted for a minute. She explained, as the other schools have, that the number of applicants this year was enormous and that she feels awful telling people that they are WAY down the list so she wanted to prep me for the worst. And then she pulled our records. And my kids were wait listed as follows.

Chloe #4
Alex # 1 (yes 1, as in first!)
Alyssa #30

She told me that #4 in Kindergarten is fantastic because the Kindergarten class tends to have the most change over the summer as people look at all their different schooling options. #1 is clearly not a bad place to land either, but she reminded me that the current 2nd grade class is already established so it is less likely for spaces to open there. And then there is Lyssa at #30. Now remember how I told you that if one gets in siblings move to the top of the list? That is true at the other schools I applied at, but at this particular one they do not move up the list until the following year, so Alex and Chloe's high numbers will not end up helping Alyssa.

So in some ways I am more confused than ever, because we may actually get 2 out of 3 in at this school, but if I accept an offer we have to pull out of the waiting lists for the other schools, the ones where Alyssa could actually ride a siblings coat tails to the top of the list. But I would hate to decline an offer when I could get the younger two in to a better Elementary School, so maybe I should just forget trying to get Alyssa in anywhere and focus on the other two, and Alyssa can always join them the next year if e-school doesn't work out? Or maybe I should just wait for an offer and quit thinking about it in the meantime. If only it were that easy.

6 comments:

Julie L said...

Decisions, decisions! Do you feel like this K-8 school would be a good one for Chloe and Alex? If so, then if the opportunity opens up, grab it! Snatch it up hard! And continue working with Alyssa in the direction she's going. Most kids are separated from siblings by the time they hit 7th grade anyway - at least around here that's how it works, so I don't see it as being any problem for her. Good luck.

Emily VanYperen said...

That all sounds so frustrating! And what tough decisions. We will pray for you! I definitely feel your pain but know that you will figure it out and that your kids are lucky to have someone like you in there corner. :)

Jen said...

Yipes! You have lots of decisions to make. It sounds like the e-school option could be great especially if Alyssa can still participate in extracurricular activities. Can't wait to hear what you guys finally decide and what the waiting lists will do for Alex and Chloe.

Tony and Ann said...

I agree with Julie L--grab the spots if they open up, and let Alyssa fly with the virtual school. If she's getting excited about it, it would be great! That is, of course, if your decision about WY IS set in stone--which is breaking my little heart. (Feeling any guilt yet??) Whatever you decide, don't turn down any offers yet! And is there such a thing as a virtual cheerleader??

Tony and Ann said...

I just looked up scores--there are 2 public middle schools here, one has 4/10 rating, but 5 stars from the community members--that's highest you can go!!

Seth and Julie said...

Julie, It is a good school. 9 out of 10 rating and nothing but raves reviews from the parents and teachers in the district that I have talked to. It is hands on project based learning. Our preschool teacher actually told me to apply there. It was my third choice only because it is a really small school in an old church in a residential neighborhood so I am worried about how you even pick up and drop off, especially in winter. I am not worried about them ending up in a different school than Alyssa but I hate to jump on an offer there and miss my chance to get in to one of the ones Alyssa could get in to but once I accept an offer they take our names off all other lists so I guess I will never know if an offer would have been forthcoming from another school anyway.

Ann, Our Middle School also has 5 stars from the parents, or at least the ones that bothered to go on and rate it. I know those sites can't tell you everything and the only way to really know about a school is to live in the community and talk to parents, teachers and students so the schools in GR are probably fine.