CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The 12 Days of Christmas

Since we did not do an advent...okay, we did do a Lego advent...but since we did not do an activity advent we did the 12 days of Christmas instead. I did not have time to put as much thought or effort in to it this year but it was still enough to make the kids happy so I suppose it was a success.

Each day they got the song for the day and had to sing it, so by day 12 they had to sing all 12 days. I tried to keep the syllables the same as the actual song so they could sing it to the same tune. It was pretty cute to hear them sing each day, but I never did grab a video of it. Oh well.

So in descending order, to keep true to the song, this is what the 12 days of Christmas brought at our house.

On the 12th day of Christmas my parents gave to me...One Awesome Christmas (Christmas Day will get it's own post later)...
Photobucket
Our Christmas Eve Traditions (11)

Clam Chowder by Candlelight
Photobucket
Opening one present...my mom sent us an ornament so I opened that since we still hadn't put one up for this year.
Photobucket
The kids were mad that we wouldn't let them open a lot of the ones they wanted to open, but a lot of them went with bigger stuff that they were getting for Christmas. So Alyssa opened a jewelry kit from Grandma Susie.
Photobucket
Alex a Bop It Smash, also from G Sus.
Photobucket
Chloe a tiara from Alex.
Photobucket
And Bernie a toy from my brother's dog, Donny.
Photobucket
The we decorated cookies for Santa. I planned on making sugar cookies but I was sick, so I was very happy when my friend Raylene dropped off unfrosted sugar cookies, with frosting and sprinkles. Isn't that a great friend/neighbor gift? I may borrow that one year. So we frosted her cookies and left a few for Santa.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Then we told the story of the day and night without darkness from the Book of Mormon and sent everyone to bed with their candles.
Photobucket
The Polar Express (10)

I forgot to get bells this year but I did add train whistles so at least they still got a souvenir. Alyssa's word was HELP because she helps with her younger siblings and helps A LOT with Bernie. Chloe's word was GUIDE because she is a leader. I subbed at her school and no one makes a move without consulting Chloe first and anything she does, they all hurry and copy. We talked about how that is a gift, if it is used wisely. Alex got the word PEACE because no matter how people (his sisters) treat him, he is loving and keeps the peace.
Photobucket
We got a new printer and you can finally clearly see the label that I print for hot chocolate cups each year.
Photobucket
Since Sunday was also church, I will sneak in Christmas clothes pics as well. These were from Grandpa Bob, who sent me money to pick something out. I ended up hating all the foofy Christmasy stuff I saw this year so I just found cute dresses, jackets and boots for the girls. Alex just got a new suit at his baptism so he got jeans and a green ninja Ninjago shirt instead which he loves, but I did not let him wear them to church.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Delivery Day (9)

Last year I wanted to paint trays with a shadow Nativity on them for cookie handouts, but I did not give myself enough time to get it done. Then I saw cute Nativity stickers that my friend, Cheryl used to make Nativity blocks and decided I liked the stickers even better than shadows. They had discontinued those stickers but came out with a new, and similar version this year so I went to all 3 Hobby Lobby locations within driving distance and bought every single sticker and tray they had. I even got a few wooden plates as well to try to get to more people. I had 40 something people on my list and only 18 trays so I had to go with just people I visit teach, the Bishopric, people we serve with in YM/YW and neighbors so if I did not get to you, it is only because Hobby Lobby ran out of supplies. It was probably for the best though because it took all day Friday (until 5 AM Saturday actually) to bake and make trays (paint, decorate, mod podge). I do not have a Cricut since I only get crafty about once a year, and I did not want to use stickers because then you run out of the same letters over and over again and have to keep getting more stickers. So I used a stencil to trace letters and then cut them all by hand. ACK! If I had it to do over again I would make my list by friends with the shortest last names, I think. But it was fun and I thought they came out pretty cute.
Photobucket
So we loaded them with treats...
Photobucket
Tied them up pretty...and made the kids run them up to people's doors and wish them a Merry Christmas!
Photobucket
Another delivery the kids got that day was their e-mails from Santa.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Chloe was nervous about making the nice list. We put her on the nice, but needs to work harder list and Santa told her what to work on.
Photobucket
Elf Food Group Party (8)
Photobucket
Fun With Gingerbread Things (7)

I don't know if you can tell but the gingerbread men kit we found were actually ninjabread men so they are all doing martial arts, which I figured I could maybe use for TKD somewhere down the road.
Photobucket
Winter Wonderland (6)

This is held on the grounds of a mansion near Seth's work and we always mean to go, but never make it. People warned us that there are 2 hour wait times so we figured it must be really good. We went on a Thursday, hoping for shorter lines and got there 15 minutes before it opened. We got right in, which is a good thing because I would have been annoyed if we'd waited 2 hours. It was lots and lots of cut out things that were lit but it only took about 15 minutes to drive through (you don't get out of the car) and it was not that impressive. The kids liked it because no one decorates around here so it was better than what they are used to, but 2 hour waits? Never. I may be a snob because people go ALL OUT in CA, like full sized ride on trains, carnivals, hot chocolate, entire garages full of displays, entire neighborhoods with lights synced to music. I get that it is too cold for all that here, but it leaves me underwhelmed when I go light seeing.
Photobucket
Christmas Goodies (5)

This was on a Tuesday, which is our ultra busy day so all they got is light up cups and candy. They are lucky they even got that. It was also our 13th anniversary (which I never even had time to post about) so the song almost said Two Wedding Rings or Lucky Thirteen, for the 5th day of Christmas.
Photobucket

Free Santa Pic (4)

We went to Bass Pro Shop for our free pics. Our return time time was a few hours out so we played all their games and ate at Rainforest Cafe while we waited. They took individual shots too but I only scanned the group shot. We tried to avoid getting in but Santa insisted. I did like this Santa because Chloe kept telling all the Santas that she wanted pixie dust for Christmas and this one actually told her he could not do that and that the only pixie dust he has only works on reindeer. I was grateful for a Santa that actually listened to what she wanted and helped her to see it wasn't going to happen. Unfortunately, once we got home she told me that she would just ask for real fairy wings instead so she was still in for a disappointment.
Photobucket
New Jammies (3)
Photobucket
Fun Reindeer Games (2)

We got and played 2 new games. I was excited that my kids are finally old enough for Clue but they were not that good at it and now they think that every time they play it is Mustard in the Courtyard with the Dagger. They don't get that we switch the cards each time. We'll get it eventually.
Photobucket
Photobucket
And a Home Alone Pizza Party (1)
Photobucket
They also got Santa hats on day one and I was amused at what Alex did with his.
Photobucket

And that concludes the 12 days of Christmas. A little watered down compared to last year, but still fun. More info on Christmas Day forthcoming.

4 comments:

Kory Jane said...

You are always so overly creative that I feel like such a loser when it comes to planning things with the kids. I do love the fence around your tree....I guess having a dog is like having another kid.

Cheryl said...

Cute activities!
I hardly did anything this year leading up to Christmas. We did our advent tree but it wasn't as exciting on most days as it usually is. That was the only advent this year.
bernie is getting so big and he really is a cute dog.
Can't wait to see your Christmas post!

Unknown said...

I agree on fuffy clothes. I like the girls matching, love ALYSSA's hair. Sorry you were sick but what an awesome neighbor/friend gift. That is an excellent idea. Love clam chowder by candlelight and they take them to bed. You must explain...Love all the ideas. And esp the season. Merry Christmas and Happy early day to Chloe!

Heather said...

We were so surprised when we got to the bottom of your cookie tray and discovered our name! I appreciate it even more now, knowing you cut them out by hand! Crazy lady! Love it though! You always amaze me!