We picked him up last night and the first 12 hours were perfect. He laid on my lap the whole way home, came home and played with the kids, peed outside and then slept through the night. Perfect, but for some reason I woke up at 2:00 with a pit in my stomach and could never get to sleep. Seth's alarm clock woke Bernie up this morning at 6:00 and I have been pulling my hair out ever since.
He is actually a good natured little guy but he hates to be left alone so I am basically trapped in the kitchen all day trying to figure out how to amuse him. We took him out every ten minutes for 2 hours this morning and he still wouldn't pee. I finally left the kitchen for two seconds and he peed and that has become the pattern. Every time I walk away for 2 seconds he cries and pees but we can go outside for an hour and no pee. But he did it last night for Seth so I will assign Seth to potty training boot camp tomorrow.
Until then, I will try to figure out how to fill 12 hours a day in a kitchen with a puppy, and how to leave him with Alyssa for 20 minutes here and there so that my sanity stays in tact. He really does love her. It seems like we are all taking on roles to him already. He goes to Alyssa to be held and kissed, and the other two to run and jump and when he is tired he only wants me. He sits at my feet until I sit down and then curls up against me, and if I don't sit down he just lays on my feet while I stand. Only problem is that he will not stay asleep if I try to leave, until right now, but we'll see how long that lasts?
I admit that I am going a little bit crazy. I have cried 3 times in the last 5 hours but I don't dislike the dog, I just have no idea what I am doing and I am feeling hopelessly overwhelmed. Speaking of overwhelmed, I think Alyssa is suffering from postpartum depression. She keeps crying and can't figure out why. One minute she will be so worried about anything ever happening to her baby and the next minute she is frazzled because her siblings keep running in the kitchen and waking him up and then she is out of her mind with joy. I told her that that is how it feels to be a momma. Worried, frustrated, overwhelmed and overjoyed.
And now I am crying again, so let's just have a look at our new addition...oh hold on, he is crying, I knew I couldn't sneak away for long.
Okay, I have Alyssa feeding him lunch but let's make this quick before he notices that I'm gone.
He is awfully cute, isn't he?
14 comments:
He is too cute! I am sorry you're feeling overwhelmed.
Are you using a crate? If not, you totally should ASAP! Read about crate training. It's the best. It's like having a crib for a newborn. He is just a new puppy so bring him out to play for an hour (or two if he can handle it), take him potty, then put him in his crate for "nap time." He needs quiet uninterrupted nappy time-like a baby. Then when he sleeps in there, you get free time. If he is tired enough, he should go right to sleep in there (put warm blankets or a little puppy bed). Leave him in there for a while-even if he is whimpering. This will be the best way to teach him that it is okay for him to be alone in there...and go to sleep. He shouldn't get used to having to sleep with you. When he wakes, you do it all over again. Potty him, let him be out for an hour or two, potty again, and then back in his crate. It's good for him.
Then when you run errands, he will be trained to stay in his crate happily. :)
Let me know if that helps. Good Luck!!!
Katie, I have read a lot about crate training and talked to the breeders about it. He slept in his crate last night. He cried for 3 minutes. We stayed in the room with him but did not talk to him or look at him and he calmed down and slept through the night. We tried to crate him for 20 min this morning and he eventually calmed down but then he peed in his crate so I reviewed my crate notes and saw that 9-10 weeks is the earliest time recommended for crate training other than overnight. He is 8 weeks and 3 days old. Did you wait til 10 weeks or start earlier? I am afraid of making him afraid of the crate. I put some treats in there and left the door open so that he can explore and get comfortable with it so that I can get more agressive with training in a few days. Did you leave your dog for an hour or two right from the start or start with 20-30 minute stretches?
Julie-Yes, your puppy is still a bit young. With my first dog, I started right about nine weeks old. My puppy would fall sleep so I'd let him stay in longer then 30 minutes. If he woke up, or was awake I'd let him out, but if he looke sleepy, I'd put him in. My dogs never seemed "afraid" of their crate. My Bulldog is four and half years old, and he is GREAT in his crate. At night, he'll open it with his paw and put himself to bed! LOL I'd get started... I think he'll be fine. :)
He is absolutely adorable. I guess that's why they start as pups and kids start as babies. Otherwise, we'd quit or at least, I know I would.
My new grandbaby is SO cute. Katie is right- crate train him, don't treat him like a person like I do. Very cute face.
He is awfully cute, but crying. Girl you gotta get a break too. I'll think of a solution, how do you feel about crates?
Haha just read the other posts about crates.
You just described Laila as a newborn! Without the peeing on the kitchen floor of course. Good luck! We tried the dog thing one time but it only lasted a month. He sure is cute though!
I feel your pain! I had a few moments of absolute breakdowns where Madi had to call Ryan because I had locked myself in the bedroom crying! I thought for sure I couldnt handle it and would have to give her up. It does get better. Potty training is huge, but yes it is very overwhelming! I hope for your sake your puppy doesnt chew up everything like ours! Still trying to break that! 1 more year...1 more year...
Anyway, we should schedule a puppy playdate! They both need to learn to socialize! Good luck!!
I'm dying for a Bernie update!!! :)
He is so cute! I can almost smell the puppy breath and feel the warm puppy fur! Perfect size for a house pet. Guess you can't let him grow an inch more, right? Hahaha.
The kids are going to learn a lot from having a pet to care for, but you'll probably learn more ... because unfortunately, it's always the Moms who end up giving the most care. Just kind of the way life is. Sorry.
But you'll be the beta or alpha or whatever in his life and he'll always look to you for discipline and for control. Just watch out for your heart. Right? I can see it already starting to melt.
He is so cute!
I'm glad you chose Bernie for the name. So cute! The kids look so happy and in love. I felt just like you when we first got Lucy. Not happy one bit, and then Mike took off for two weeks leaving me to essentially to do all the potty training. She WAS potty trained when he got home. Yes, you must kennel train. We did it with Lucy (she's was already 10 weeks when we got her, so I can't comment on Bernie being too young), and it really is an easy way to help with the training. Lucy loves her kennel now and will go into without any fuss when we need her to. Keep in mind that dogs are "den animals" and actually crave close quarters for rest time. Good luck!
Oh, one more thing I remember about crate training is that if Bernie has too much room in the kennel, then he will go to the bathroom in it. So you may want to block off the extra space only leaving enough room for him to lay down in the beginning until he's used to the kennel and can hold potty for more than a few minutes.
He is very cute! You are a brave person! Allergies aside, I don't think I could ever take on that challenge. Lucky kids. And I'm sure it will get better. You'll probably be laughing about these early days before you know it!
I just couldn't do it. I hope it gets easier for you.
Post a Comment