CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Minnesota Easter

Since we had a really early Spring Break, we were granted a second mini Spring Break or Late Spring Break as the school called it. We just had Friday and Monday off but we decided that gave us a long enough weekend to get out and go somewhere. Months ago I suggested that we see if our friends Jared and Katelin (the Mortons) had plans and if not, invite ourselves to visit them in Minnesota. We were planning to go up there last Summer, and then over Labor Day but both times other family visits and circumstances preempted our visit. This time we were both free and they graciously agreed to host us for Easter.

We headed up on Thursday and stayed until Monday. I am not sure we even collected 8 hours of sleep total in the 4 nights we were there. Jared and Katelin are our late night rowdy board game playing friends. We spent our days with the kids and nights eating, playing and laughing. So much fun! Here is a recap of our stay. I will try to keep it brief, but you know me...

Thursday- Driving to MN. No pictures, but the kids were great and even slept for the last few hours. We arrived at about 1AM and still managed to stay up chatting until 3 or so. I love when you see people and can fall right back into old ways without a moment of awkwardness. We were laughing right from the moment we arrived.

Friday- The Mortons live about 15 minutes from the Mall of America, so of course we had to check it out. We spent most of our time at the indoor amusement park. I didn't get too many pictures because we were riding, but they even have roller coasters and a log ride indoors. After the mall we headed off to their favorite Mexican place and had some yummy food. When we got home we dyed eggs and then sent kiddos off to bed.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I am actually liking my hair more and more but please excuse it in these pictures. It was either windblown or roller coaster messy the whole weekend.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Saturday- Saturday we went to an indoor park. I have been wishing for an indoor park in WI since I moved here. If I had money I think I would open one. If it is cold 8 months of the year, there should be an indoor park. MN has figured that out. You have to pay $5 to go in but it was so worth it. The kids had a blast in the biggest jungle gym I have ever seen. They even talked me into going to the very top with them and it was actually quite fun. You have to take several slides to get all the way back to the bottom again.
Photobucket
They also had a bike area with these cool bikes.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
What are they called and where do I get one? Even Chloe could use the hand pedals and they all LOVED these things. After the park we headed off to tour the twin cities. They showed us some of the cool touristy parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul and took us to their favorite pizza restaurant which was quite tasty.

This is our only picture from our time touring the city. It was so cold and WINDY. My friend Jen, who has lived in MN told me that even though it is super cold it is not windy like WI, so maybe we brought the wind with us? Also, Katelin is a month away from having a baby boy. Doesn't she look great?
Photobucket

Then after kids were in bed we finally started planning for Easter. We ended up playing games, hiding eggs and putting baskets together until 4:30 AM.

Sunday-Happy Easter! The kids hopped out of bed at 6:45 and if it hadn't been for the holiday adrenaline rush I would have had a really hard time dragging my carcass out of bed. After Easter egg hunting, breakfast and some Easter morning playing it was time to get the whole crew ready for church. As long as I was moving I was fine, but when I closed my eyes for the prayer at church I almost fell instantly into a deep sleep. Poor Katelin even had to teach the Young Women, but we survived. Luckily Sunday it was 60 something degrees and sunny. The kids spent hours playing outside (they have a huge backyard) and we even walked to a nearby park for awhile. We had planned the traditional ham and potatoes Easter dinner but were too tired to exert that kind of effort, so Seth made crepes for dinner, which was actually supposed to be Easter breakfast but we were also too tired that morning. Don't worry the kids didn't notice their deadbeet parents. They were having way too much fun. They played beautifully together the whole time. On our last night we put the kids to bed and again stayed up chatting and eating dessert and thinking about playing a game but in the end the sandman won and we hit the sheets at about midnight, which was probably for the best since Seth had to drive the next day and Jared had to head back to work.

Easter Baskets all ready to go.
Photobucket
But then we moved them way up high in case the kids got up without us hearing them.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Time for some church clothes pics. But first, my Easter dress disclaimer. If you know me, you know I hate frilly. I like girly and would love for my girls to wear skirts and dresses all year round, but NOT frilly. Remember I wouldn't even allow a lacey white dress for Alyssa's baptism? I prefer leggings or tights with a skirt, or a casual sundress. I even blessed Chloe in a white sundress (in February) and blessed Alex in pj's because there was NO WAY I was going to put him in one of those weird white vest and bow tie combos. My mom, on the other hand loves cheesy outfits. I have begged her not to buy them, but occasionally she does it anyway. One year she even sent a bonnet for Chloe and I was so embarrassed to take her to church with it on. Seth usually agrees with me. So this year I was shocked when he brought me these fancy dresses for them to try on. At first I said no, reminded him they were not going to prom and hung them back up. But....the girls thought they were so pretty. I agreed to try them on and as I watched the girls ding dong back and forth like frilly little bells in the dressing room, I knew I was not getting out of that store without those dresses. So, we bought them and me and Katelin spent the weekend joking about their Quinceanera dresses, but they looked pretty and felt pretty so it was worth any amount of silliness I felt.
Photobucket
A lady at church on Sunday told me that Alyssa looked exactly like me, but in this next picture she is making a face that screams Seth to me.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I wanted Chloe to show me the bow on the back of her dress but told her to turn and show her face too. She was so confused, so you may notice Alyssa in the background giving her a posing tutorial.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Monday- Driving home. It is about a 6 hour drive, but we stopped a few times. We hit the Flying J. I didn't know they had one in Wisconsin, but they do. Unfortunately it is 4 hours from home, but I had to stop for cookies and they have the best ice drink (like a Slush Puppie, only better) and they have ice pellets for their fountain drinks. Heaven, I tell you. After we loaded up at Flying J we headed to Madison since we had never seen the Capitol. We looked around the Capitol and the UW campus and then headed home, with only one more stop for dinner at Texas Roadhouse.

It was such a great little getaway. My kids have told me several times since that they miss their friends and I totally relate. It was so good to be with The Mortons again, but it reminded me how much I miss those guys. Thank you so much for having us Jared and Katelin. We will have to do this more often, because I am totally not above inviting myself again.

12 comments:

LeShel said...

Looks like a great trip. I love your girls' dresses. I've recently started liking all things frilly. Your daughters look beautiful.
Love that you got to spend time with the Mortons.

Chubby Bunny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheryl said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I've always wondered if the Mall of America was worth a trip or not.
I love all things frilly. Sometimes I tell Doug that he should be glad we haven't had any sons because I would totally want them to wear the old fashioned knickers and suspenders. I love ruffles on little girls and big bows. I'm very southern that way.
So, no surprise, I ADORE your girls dresses. Those are beautiful!!!! I love both but I really really love Chloe's. I want one!

Katie and Mark said...

What a fun trip! I love the indoor park. We have a similar, smaller version, but they charge $8 per person (if mine had those AWESOME looking bikes I would even pay the the $8).

I'm sure you can already tell that I like frilly so is it needless to day that I LOVE your girls' dresses? SO cute! I love Chloe's, and I am glad Alyssa "coached" her on how-to pose because that beautiful was worth the picture! :)

Julie L said...

What a great weekend for you! Personally I don't think the dresses are frilly - just very, very feminine. Frilly is - you know, lace and ruffles and more ruffles and even more frilly fruffles. Looks like the girls loved them, too. Alex is so handsome. What a striking young man he is growing up to be - he looks so grown up in the tie! I think Utah could use an indoor park like that, too.

Katelin said...

It was a blast! Thanks for making the trip all the way here! I still don't feel caught up on sleep, but it was worth it!

Anonymous said...

Alyssa's dress isn't frilly at all, it's really simple and prettty. Chloe's is a little more intense, but she looks like a little princessa and I bet she loved it! It reminds me of the little girls who come to Disneyland dressed as princess characters. Kristen always says that I better not let Audrey do that, but if she wants to then I'm sure I will. It would be a lot cooler if I could get her to dress up as something more random like Captain Eo or Steamboat Willie, haha!!

That indoor mall looks so rad! Was it a Sponge Bob theme? I love when Al gets dressed in church jibba...he is so freakin handsome!

Sally said...

Ok, so when you said frilly I was expecting ridiculous, but they aren't over the top at all. My girls always do the big Easter dresses because that's what we did growing up. Although my sisters and I usually had the hat and gloves too, but I don't go that far. Your kids all looked very cute!

Brittney said...

Chloe has luscious hair.

that's all.

Jen said...

Holy late nights, people! You know when you come to visit us in our underground bunker bedtime is a strict 10:30 p.m. J/K, well, for Mike anyway. You know I'm a night owl, but I think 1am is the lastest I can handle these days.

In all the years that we lived in MN I never once went to Camp Snoopy. I suppose if I'd hads kids then, it would have been a different story.

Glad you guys had a great time. The girls look so pirdy in their fancy dresses.

It's a King Thing...You Wouldn't Understand said...

I love all the pictures. Sounds like a fun Easter weekend for the whole family. I think all the kids looked great for Easter. I like the hair too, especially in the Easter picture with just you and the girls. Alex looks so tall to me from the last time I saw him. Anyways, glad you guys had fun!

Cheryl said...

Hey- off subject but where did you get your blog books done?