CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Two More Feet of Snow Day Pictures

I spent the morning of our second snow day trying to avoid taking the kids outside. They kept asking, and at 10:00 I thought it might be warm enough to venture out. A quick check of the weather and I learned that it was -6, and -22 with the wind chill. Nope, not warm enough.

The kids put together a "fancy party". Check out their idea of fancy clothes. They had cupcakes and diamond ring pops.
Photobucket
After their party and lunch they resumed begging to go outside. Another check of the weather informed me that it was 12 degrees, with the wind chill at -9. That was about as warm as it was going to get, so we put on 4 layers and braved the cold.

We decided to sled in our back yard. Our yard is as flat as a pancake, not even a divot to be seen. But the snow was up past the steps to the deck, so we decided to slide down the stairs. Even I rode and it was actually a lot of fun.

After an hour and a half, the kids wanted to go to the front yard. I made them come in and get a drink and warm up for a few minutes and then we went right back out. In the front yard we just slid down the snow drifts. I do not like the cold and I am not super fond of playing outdoors, but we were laughing and having such a good time that I didn't want to go in any more than the kids did, so we stayed another hour and a half, or at least us girls did. Alex went in about 45 minutes before the rest of us. He doesn't usually like to play outside for very long and his nose was getting really runny, may have had something to do with how many times he dipped his face in the snow. The girls may have stayed forever if I'd let them. Even Chloe, who doesn't usually like to sled, found her courage and rode over and over again.

Here we are on Johnson Mountain.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
We have three exits from our deck, so we tried all three sets of steps.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The longest run was this snow drift in the front yard. Chloe monopolized it most of the time.
Photobucket
Photobucket
And some videos, just because they were actually short enough to upload to blogger for once.




Another great snow day, and I think we are all now positively exhausted. The kids have spent the afternoon in a warm bath tub and now warm blankets. The schools will be open again tomorrow BUT according to the website, any parents who choose to keep their kids home are welcome to do so and it will be an excused absence. The roads are totally clear by our house and I am guessing this option is mostly in place for people out in the county who may not have clear roads yet, but I am oh so tempted....

8 comments:

Sarah E. said...

I think that is some seriously awesome snow! It looks like you guys had sooo much fun. Now why can't our school system do something like yours is doing for tomorrow? That way we don't have to go to school extra days just because 20 or so houses are on frozen roads.

Jen said...

We don't exactly have any hills in our backyard either, but the kids manage to make mountains out of our mole hills and lot every minute of it. I can't believe it was that cold at your house. It was in the teens all day at our house with hardly any wind, so after running a gazillion errands until about 3 the girls went out and played in the snow for a good hour and a half while Violet and I took naps. They eventually made it inside the neighbor's house for some hot cocoa and defrosting. Gotta love neighbors.

Katie and Mark said...

It would be hard having all that snow, but I love the ease of taking a "snowtrip" in your very own yard. It's hard for me to work up enough motivation to actually drive to our snowy-location. :) When it came to us, in VEGAS, I was in heaven. One day of snow. Two days of playing. Heaven.

Seth and Julie said...

Sarah, I think having school open with the option to skip is a good idea, so that we don't have to go to school until mid-summer, but it is also torture. I REALLY wanted to keep them home, but the roads by us are fine. Alyssa also missed Monday with a sore throat so she had been home every day but Tuesday. I got up late and planned to take them late, if at all, but in the end they were ready to go on time and now they are at school. I am actually a bit under the weather today (too old to play outside for 3 hours in the freezing cold?) so Seth said it was good that I sent them, but for some reason it is still making me sad. Can you imagine if your parents were allowed to keep you home and didn't? So lame, I would have thought they were total duds.

Jen, It didn't feel as cold as the temperature said, unless the wind was blowing. It was actually pretty sunny most of the time and we were wearing 20 tons of clothing, so that helped.

Katie, I have a total love/hate relationship with snow. My kids think I had a boring childhood because it doesn't snow in California. It is so fun for them. How funny that it snowed in Vegas. Too weird!

Julie L said...

The big plus when it's that cold is that with enough clothing layers the snow does not melt against the body. What a fun couple of days for the kids! I have to say, you guys really do know what the meaning of "snow day" is!

Prudy said...

Is it wrong to be jealous of snow days? I can't help myself. If it's really as much fun as it looks like, I need a real estate agent in Wisconsin.

Catherine said...

I thought I left you a comment yesterday, but evidently it didn't take.

Anyway, I cannot get over all that snow in your yard. And I still can't believe that you said (a few posts back) that 20 degrees and no wind is warm for you. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. We have most weather in the
20's this week, sometimes windy and sometimes not and either way I was freezing.

I love that you went out and played with your kids in the snow. I think maybe I need to let my kids out more often. I always say, it's too cold, but your post is making me think I'm wrong.

I love all the pictures and your backyard looks like so much fun with all the snow drifts. It looks like the perfect spot for sledding. And what a fun mom you are that you joined them.

Leslie said...

I would have definitely taken another snow day.
I hope you did.