About a month ago, Seth's mom called to say that she would be in Cleveland in October, and that she would have about 24 hours that she could sneak away. Cleveland is about 6 hours from us, so she talked about driving here, staying 12 hours (most of which would have been overnight when kids were sleeping) and then driving back to Cleveland. After thinking it through, she came up with a better alternative. She found a meeting place midway between here and Cleveland, in Shipshewana, Indiana.
We had never heard of it, but we were sold when she told us they had a hotel with a mini indoor waterpark. We decided not to tell the kids. On Friday morning we got up and told them we would drive them to school since they missed the bus. We hopped on the freeway and drove for 3 hours. I am sure they were SO confused, but they just sat there and never asked any questions. They were so surprised to find Grandma waiting for us in the parking lot of Splash Universe.
By the time we got there, they had less than 24 hours of Grandma time, but they made the most of it. Unfortunately I woke up very sick on Friday morning. I already had a cold all week, but after a week of taking care of sick kids I seemed to suddenly have everyone's symptoms all at once. I didn't want to miss out so I got my swimsuit on and went down to the pool. After taking a few pictures and feeling like my legs were going to go out from under me, I passed the camera off to Seth and just watched. About 2 hours in, my neck could barely sustain my head anymore. I was so bummed, but I had no choice but to go to the room and sleep. I slept through swimming, and dinner, and the arcade, and banana cream pie, and my kids NEVER missed me for a single minute. I wish I'd been able to watch them play with Grandma, but they were in heaven, and at least I had them thoroughly occupied so that I could rest.
The next day Grandma had to head back to Ohio shortly after breakfast. The rest of us planned to tour around a bit, since Shipshewana is Amish country. After one short stop it was apparent that I was not going to be able to play, so we headed back to Wisconsin instead. It was really cool to watch the Amish people though. There were horse drawn buggies everywhere, and I never knew that Amish people mingled in with the rest of society so much. They were even working in some of the stores and restaurants we went in. I had no idea. I would love to go back and visit the Visitor Center, and you can even go eat with an Amish family. I have always wanted to learn more about the Amish people, and I missed my chance.
But you know what, it doesn't even matter because my kids didn't miss a thing. They enjoyed every minute with Grandma, and that is what the trip was about.
Normally I would have taken 100 pictures, but since I passed off camera duty this is all we've got.
Thanks for coming Grandma Ann. The kids had the best time ever!
Second Week of School
3 years ago
10 comments:
That looks like so much fun!
How great that they could spend time with Grandma even if only for a little while.
I hope you're feeling better.
They were probably so excited to be surprised! I always want to surprise Luke, but can never keep my mouth shut.
Dave says the last pic of Chloe looks exactly like Audrey's little face.
That looks like a really cool waterpark. Could it be something to replace a future Dells trip, or is the Dells unmatchable? Is Chloe laughing or cyring in those 2 pics with Seth? Even for a short visit like that, I'm sure your kids loved spending time with Grandma.
Speaking of sick kids. Annie and I feeling better now (Annie's back to school today), but now Mike's got it and is home from work today. I'm just dreading waiting to see if Mimi and/or Violet will get it. Ugh!
Jen, This place was way smaller than the Dells. Two big slides, a kids area with 4 medium slides, a baby area with the little slides Chloe was on, and a lazy river, but still so much cooler than just a regular old hotel pool. It had plenty to keep them happy. As for Chloe, she is crying because Seth makes her go on stuff she doesn't like. She was very happy when Grandma took over. Sorry the sick bug is making it's rounds at your house. I am better from the flu stuff, but I still have the ear, throat and cough problems I have had for two weeks now.
Such a FUN surprise
Katelin said Alyssa told her she went to Ohio to go to a waterpark. I was very confused, since I know you are big Dells fans. Im glad I read this so now I understand. Still looks fun...even if it isnt the Dells! (:
That does look like a super fun surprise! Sorry you were so sick--are you better yet?
Wow, that's in a hotel? Looks like somewhere you gotta go again! Sorry you got sick, that should be a rule, moms can't get sick!
Did you guys remember Alyssa's banana cream pie??? I whispered to her as I left to remind you--that was HER pie!! Her eyes just lit up when we bought it, when she got her piece, and when I reminded her to take it home. And--when did Alex turn into a jabber-mouth? What a funny guy--couldn't get a word in edge-wise with him. And Chloe--if I had left her sleeping on the floor, wrapped up in a blanket, instead of picking her up and putting her in bed--she wouldn't have opened those big blues and refused to go back to sleep! Hope you are feeling better--glad you had a real bedroom to crash in, instead of just one of the beds in a room. I had a great time--thanks for bringing the kids.
Ann, We did bring home the pie. They ate it for dessert again Saturday night. I never did try it because it was gone by the time I was eating again. As for Alex, he may have taken his time learning to talk, but he is still my son. My kids all appreciate hearing their own voice. With me and the three of them in the house, there is truly never a quiet moment. He was talking even fster than usual in Shipshewana. He was so excited. It was fun to watch him, exhausting, but fun. I am glad I had a real bed to crash in too. Thanks for camping in the bunks with the monkeys and dealing with Chloe sneaking a giant bag of marshmallows into her bed in the middle of the night.
Post a Comment